Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 226
  1. #46
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Yep. And to this day many at Marvel are still clearly bitter about it.
    Lol. The “Cyclops Was Right” meme era for Marvel.

    Of course the readers were cheering on Cyclops. Was editorial so disconnected from readers reactions.

  2. #47
    All-New Member Crosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Can I just add my two cents by saying honestly I don't really think one was hated more than the other. Most of Cyclops haters came from the human/inhuman side of things while many mutants actually agreed with what he had going on. And most of Wanda's haters are mutants. Both sides were hated by their opposing factions equally.
    I mean, in universe, the mutants hated Cyclops just as much as the humans. Logan, Beast, Tyke, Kitty, Storm, Bobby - a ton of mutants completely despised him. Hell, quite a few of them tried to kill him.

  3. #48
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosley View Post
    I mean, in universe, the mutants hated Cyclops just as much as the humans. Logan, Beast, Tyke, Kitty, Storm, Bobby - a ton of mutants completely despised him. Hell, quite a few of them tried to kill him.
    Some even figured killing the younger Cyclops from the past "before he could grow up to be such a monster" was worth a shot. Although I'd argue in answer to the question that it was killing Xavier that put him over. As horrific as what Wanda did was, nobody the (adult) X-Men personally knew and cared for (as far as I could recall) outright died from or as a result of being depowered. Hell, one of the big problems the New X-Men had with the adult X-Men was that in their minds, Emma Frost effectively sent their depowered friends/classmates to die (on that bus that got blown up by the Purifiers), so maybe if someone they'd been close to had ended up dead as a direct or indirect result of Wanda's actions, maybe there'd be harder feelings about her compared with Cyclops after he killed Xavier. As disappointed and betrayed as they felt because of the long litany of sins Xavier committed in his past while preaching peace and love between humans and mutants for all those years, Cyclops just killing him was still a bridge too far for a lot of them, Phoenix-induced psychosis or not.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  4. #49
    Mighty Member dkrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,413

    Default

    Aside from the fact he was pole ridden as the end all, be all of the X-Men. He was supposed to be the batman/Captain America type that all other X-Men should bow down and worship him. The X-Men are about a team/family anytime there's a drift toward one character being so much more important than others, that turns me off. I don't like Jean Grey character just for that same reason.

  5. #50
    Spectacular Member Micabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    At some point Jean decided to give Scott to Emma apparently. Remember the scene where Jean is reassembling Emma after she was shattered? Jean tells Emma "Scott needs you."
    Yeah, I forgot about that but that was well after the fact.

  6. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Because Scarlet Witch is a Karen
    Karens are white women that get authorities on poc to get their way. Wanda is Romani, Scott is white. This isn't that type of situation.
    Was Curlytop

  7. #52
    Incredible Member ARkadelphia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post

    I mean cmon look at that kitty pietro stuff, she was 14 when they kissed!!!
    You mean Piotr. Quicksilver is no pedophile.
    “The Scarlet Witch is the only thing that will scare them. It’s the only thing they’ll respect.” - Hope Summers, Avengers vs X-Men #7

  8. #53
    Incredible Member ARkadelphia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    816

    Default

    The Avengers were smart enough to understand that Wanda was not in control of her faculties.

    The X-Men were not smart enough to understand that Scott was not in control of his faculties.
    “The Scarlet Witch is the only thing that will scare them. It’s the only thing they’ll respect.” - Hope Summers, Avengers vs X-Men #7

  9. #54
    Astonishing Member Glio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    3,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Some even figured killing the younger Cyclops from the past "before he could grow up to be such a monster" was worth a shot. Although I'd argue in answer to the question that it was killing Xavier that put him over. As horrific as what Wanda did was, nobody the (adult) X-Men personally knew and cared for (as far as I could recall) outright died from or as a result of being depowered. Hell, one of the big problems the New X-Men had with the adult X-Men was that in their minds, Emma Frost effectively sent their depowered friends/classmates to die (on that bus that got blown up by the Purifiers), so maybe if someone they'd been close to had ended up dead as a direct or indirect result of Wanda's actions, maybe there'd be harder feelings about her compared with Cyclops after he killed Xavier. As disappointed and betrayed as they felt because of the long litany of sins Xavier committed in his past while preaching peace and love between humans and mutants for all those years, Cyclops just killing him was still a bridge too far for a lot of them, Phoenix-induced psychosis or not.

    "You killed the only man who mattered", Aaron was crucial in making Cyclops popular, it's one of the greatest ironies of the era.

  10. #55
    Mighty Member Zelena's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    1,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    The Avengers were smart enough to understand that Wanda was not in control of her faculties.

    The X-Men were not smart enough to understand that Scott was not in control of his faculties.
    What did Wanda was completely out-of-character, driven mad by grief…

    What did Scott was letting a part of him that was repressed taking control, the little boy that wants to be in charge eventually and feel free and secure. He was able to go very far to achieve this goal, losing his inhibitions, the Phoenix giving him the power, a display of 'hubris'…

  11. #56
    Astonishing Member Veitha's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    What did Wanda was completely out-of-character, driven mad by grief…

    What did Scott was letting a part of him that was repressed taking control, the little boy that wants to be in charge eventually and feel free and secure. He was able to go very far to achieve this goal, losing his inhibitions, the Phoenix giving him the power, a display of 'hubris'…
    You could literally write a similar paragraph as your last one for Wanda to assign guilt to Wanda the same way.

    Reminder that Wanda is not the only one who feels grief. How many friends, family members and student did Cyclops have to bury before AvX? That's not trauma?

  12. #57
    Astonishing Member marhawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    3,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Some even figured killing the younger Cyclops from the past "before he could grow up to be such a monster" was worth a shot. Although I'd argue in answer to the question that it was killing Xavier that put him over. As horrific as what Wanda did was, nobody the (adult) X-Men personally knew and cared for (as far as I could recall) outright died from or as a result of being depowered. Hell, one of the big problems the New X-Men had with the adult X-Men was that in their minds, Emma Frost effectively sent their depowered friends/classmates to die (on that bus that got blown up by the Purifiers), so maybe if someone they'd been close to had ended up dead as a direct or indirect result of Wanda's actions, maybe there'd be harder feelings about her compared with Cyclops after he killed Xavier. As disappointed and betrayed as they felt because of the long litany of sins Xavier committed in his past while preaching peace and love between humans and mutants for all those years, Cyclops just killing him was still a bridge too far for a lot of them, Phoenix-induced psychosis or not.
    It says a lot about how important Xavier is that Exodus and the Acolytes not only never tried to kill him, but actually saved his life with temporally accelerated emergency surgery once. Seriously.. Benet du Paris had Heather Tucker accelerate him to move a super speed to A: get to him in time to heal him, but also help him work faster.... EXODUS.... Exodus was apparently willing to risk his life to save Xavier.

  13. #58
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    You could literally write a similar paragraph as your last one for Wanda to assign guilt to Wanda the same way.
    True, but why is only Scott given that benefit and not both?

    Reminder that Wanda is not the only one who feels grief. How many friends, family members and student did Cyclops have to bury before AvX? That's not trauma?
    How much trauma and grief did Scott cause when he murdered Xavier and conquered the world? Trauma and grief applies to everyone, including Wanda. Considering the majority of the X-men were alive and well, I'm guessing not that much.

  14. #59
    Astonishing Member Glio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    3,663

    Default

    I'm sure there was a lot of grief when the P5 started giving everyone free energy, clean water and free food.

    Well yes, some millionaires must have been upset.

  15. #60
    Astonishing Member Veitha's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    True, but why is only Scott given that benefit and not both?



    How much trauma and grief did Scott cause when he murdered Xavier and conquered the world? Trauma and grief applies to everyone, including Wanda. Considering the majority of the X-men were alive and well, I'm guessing not that much.
    What do you mean? I'm replying to them making a case for Wanda that could be made the same way for Cyclops. They gave Wanda the benefit.

    Considering the majority of the X-men were alive and well, I'm guessing not that much.
    Then you must not know Cyclops or the X-Men much outside of major events.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •