Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Mothers of Superman

Been having this thread in the back of mind for a while now, and I figured now was the time to make it. Superman’s fathers have played an incredibly important role in his development. Jor-El built the space rocket that saved Kal’s life, and whether it’s via direct means such as the Fortress AI, or indirectly through gifts like Krypto, the cape, or the Fortress itself, Jor-El casts a huge shadow over Kal’s role as a hero on Earth. Jor-El’s gives Superman his mind, his intelligence, and his fascination with his alien heritage.

Jonathan Kent is typically the one who gives Clark his morals. He teaches Clark civic responsibility and instills in him an obligation to use his powers to help people. His death teaches Clark that not even he can save everyone, and demonstrates to him that he’s a man with limits and not a god. We’ve seen so many heartfelt moments between the two over the years across multiple mediums. Jonathan Kent gives Superman his sense of right and wrong, and the ability to choose between the two.

In contrast, the mothers are kinda just... there. How many great Lara or Martha moments can you guys recall? It’s very few to me, most of Lara’s come from the New 52, and Martha has uh... none? Like I can’t think of any great moments between her and Clark.

So my question is, how would you guys like to see the mothers’ relationship with Superman portrayed? What gifts should Superman inherit from them?

For Lara, I’ve been thinking that it would be a good idea to merge her military and astronaut backstories together. I’d have her be the one who introduces Zod to Jor-El, having served under Zod as a soldier. I like the idea of Lara being a soldier because then you can draw a clear line between her fighting ability and Kal’s. If Jor-El gives Clark his brains, Lara gives him his fighting spirit and willingness to get dirty in pursuit of saving others. I like Lara’s astronaut background because then you can explore how even though she was never able to fulfill her dream of seeing other worlds, her son was able to do so. Also the DCAU her her be the one Kal gets the spit curl from and I’ve always liked that idea.

For Martha I like the idea of her being the one who instills in Clark a love of reading and writing. I’d like Martha to perhaps be the one who chronicles the history of Smallville and who researches UFOs, setting Clark on the path to learn more about his heritage. Like I said she’s sadly underserved in most tales compared to Jonathan, but I’d like Martha to be the one to encourage Clark’s interest in journalism.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I've actually always liked ma as... almost more a supporting character for "Lois and Clark" where Pa deals with "the private life of Clark Kent " She's a good friend, a little more slick and down to earth than Pa. Diane Lane nailed it imo. As old as it makes her sound I like the scrapbook because it keeps the perspective of a parent: Clark is their boy. Pa looks at things man to man but ma has the unconditional love and genuine concern. She's why we love and revere parents who aren't really remarkable from the outside looking in. The recent Year One comic was nice in having moments with little Clark, even with weird dialogue.

That Lara sounds like Lobdell. It was cool and I remember being really interested in seeing it explored. Lara having great genetics and that S curl are always welcomed touches even if I prefer Kal to be a more rugged version of Jor. I really like the movie version again, as well as the Byrne version, but my favorite story with Lara is Last family of Krypton. Some moms are hands on, tickle fighting nurturers. Other can be the queen of the house, more like a teacher than doting but not any less loving. It's like Ma is Harriet Winslow and Lara is Vivian Banks.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I remember in Gods and Monsters, where that Superman is a mix of Lara and Zod's genes, you get the sense that he gets his viciousness and cold, pragmatic, efficiency from Zod but his compassion and drive to help others from Lara because it's the one character trait he is the same in when compared to normal Superman (even if it's sometimes expressed differently).

With Ma...I remember Pak's Secret Origin story showing Clark's birth from her perspective, which was neat. Also I think she's responsible for making the costume in some continuities (I know it was for sure the case in Johns' Secret Origin).

Could have sworn there was one origin re-telling where Superman's cape comes from Lara (in the same way the S symbol comes from Jor-El) but I think I may just be making that memory up.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

There are some Martha moments, like when she can tell her looks unwell in All-Star because a mother can always know when something is bothering her child.

She made his costume and helped him embrace his heritage, if only by silently affirming that him embracing his birth parents doesn't in any way disrespect them. She wants him to be proud of both, and he is.

I agree she does not get enough credit for Clark, but she does get moments to show us how she's the world's best mother.

New 52 Lara had a some potential, maybe she should have been the one to survive instead of Jor-El.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    There are some Martha moments, like when she can tell her looks unwell in All-Star because a mother can always know when something is bothering her child.

She made his costume and helped him embrace his heritage, if only by silently affirming that him embracing his birth parents doesn't in any way disrespect them. She wants him to be proud of both, and he is.

I agree she does not get enough credit for Clark, but she does get moments to show us how she's the world's best mother.
    Yes but it’s not really on the same level as Pa typically gets. The moments you listed are nice, but they don’t really compare with stuff like this:
    989FC44C-ADB9-4041-A270-8635F97C548E.jpg

I’d like something similar to either of those for Martha, something to show she had a major impact on Clark too. I personally think it should be encouraging him into journalism/writing, but it could be anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    New 52 Lara had a some potential, maybe she should have been the one to survive instead of Jor-El.
    Wish she would leave a combat robot for Clark to spar with and learn how to fight lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Been having this thread in the back of mind for a while now, and I figured now was the time to make it. Superman’s fathers have played an incredibly important role in his development. Jor-El built the space rocket that saved Kal’s life, and whether it’s via direct means such as the Fortress AI, or indirectly through gifts like Krypto, the cape, or the Fortress itself, Jor-El casts a huge shadow over Kal’s role as a hero on Earth. Jor-El’s gives Superman his mind, his intelligence, and his fascination with his alien heritage.

Jonathan Kent is typically the one who gives Clark his morals. He teaches Clark civic responsibility and instills in him an obligation to use his powers to help people. His death teaches Clark that not even he can save everyone, and demonstrates to him that he’s a man with limits and not a god. We’ve seen so many heartfelt moments between the two over the years across multiple mediums. Jonathan Kent gives Superman his sense of right and wrong, and the ability to choose between the two.

In contrast, the mothers are kinda just... there. How many great Lara or Martha moments can you guys recall? It’s very few to me, most of Lara’s come from the New 52, and Martha has uh... none? Like I can’t think of any great moments between her and Clark.

So my question is, how would you guys like to see the mothers’ relationship with Superman portrayed? What gifts should Superman inherit from them?

For Lara, I’ve been thinking that it would be a good idea to merge her military and astronaut backstories together. I’d have her be the one who introduces Zod to Jor-El, having served under Zod as a soldier. I like the idea of Lara being a soldier because then you can draw a clear line between her fighting ability and Kal’s. If Jor-El gives Clark his brains, Lara gives him his fighting spirit and willingness to get dirty in pursuit of saving others. I like Lara’s astronaut background because then you can explore how even though she was never able to fulfill her dream of seeing other worlds, her son was able to do so. Also the DCAU her her be the one Kal gets the spit curl from and I’ve always liked that idea.

For Martha I like the idea of her being the one who instills in Clark a love of reading and writing. I’d like Martha to perhaps be the one who chronicles the history of Smallville and who researches UFOs, setting Clark on the path to learn more about his heritage. Like I said she’s sadly underserved in most tales compared to Jonathan, but I’d like Martha to be the one to encourage Clark’s interest in journalism.
    I love these ideas for Lara. Her being a fighter, her connection to Zod. That gives her more of a contribution and something to explore. I've long felt that she was just there compared to how epic and important Jor-El is.

Think also in origin stories Martha is the one who is insistent on taking baby Kal-El in whereas Jonathon is usually shown as the skeptical one.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Yes but it’s not really on the same level as Pa typically gets. The moments you listed are nice, but they don’t really compare with stuff like this:
    989FC44C-ADB9-4041-A270-8635F97C548E.jpg

I’d like something similar to either of those for Martha, something to show she had a major impact on Clark too. I personally think it should be encouraging him into journalism/writing, but it could be anything.

Wish she would leave a combat robot for Clark to spar with and learn how to fight lol.
    Oh, it's not comparable at all. Martha certainly needs more love. Just saying, she does have her moments to remind us she's the gold standard for moms at DC.

It's kinda funny when it comes to the way we're used to seeing supporting characters fit in to stories as functional pieces vs Martha.

"Wish Martha had an important role"
    "She's his mom."
    "Right but how is she important , how did she contribute?"

Being born on his own is cool because it makes him more alien, but I like the idea of Lara traveling to Earth a lot and wish someone used it at some point. They had her slightly outlive Jor El in Man of Steel and that is probably my favorite "end of Krypton" scene.

The discovery of the end and the space voyage are two different things and I think it'd be pretty easy to split them between the parents instead of having Jor El handle everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Being born on his own is cool because it makes him more alien, but I like the idea of Lara traveling to Earth a lot and wish someone used it at some point. They had her slightly outlive Jor El in Man of Steel and that is probably my favorite "end of Krypton" scene.
    ...I think she went to Earth on Smallville? And there was like an unrequited love from Zor-El involved?

Lol whoa. I've seen a few episodes and some snippets over the last twenty years, but I've never actually seen the Smallville Els.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Why did this thread give me flashbacks of bvs?

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Why did this thread give me flashbacks of bvs?
    To his credit, Snyder did try to make Martha have a meaningful role in Clark’s development in BvS. It’s just that her advice was terrible and only added to the problems of the DCEU Kents characterizations.