Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Kinda depends on the point in her life we're looking at. From the beginning I think if we're looking at a Lois that Sam Lane treated like the son he never had, and grew up on military bases, etc. she should definitely be comfortable and competent firing a gun and be able to hold her own in a fight against several people that a normal person without training wouldn't. Especially considering she'd likely be underestimated from the beginning. So like what Tom Taylor wrote in the Injustice 2 Annual.

I think later on down the road, if we're talking about a Lois that has been with Superman for a long time like the current main continuity version, you can get away with giving her a little bit more edge. She'd have picked up either a little bit more fighting competence, definitely some tech competence so her driving the Batmobile or even using the HellBat armor (ignoring the ridiculousness of what it was originally supposed to like kill Batman to use it) semi-competently to get a few unexpected shots in. It isn't unrealistic that she'd pick up some stuff from Clark or even their friends like Diana or Bruce. But the stuff like her being able to take on the Furies is too far.
    Last edited by Yoda; 05-26-2020 at 05:05 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I’d say she should be “good enough to get herself out of trouble” in real-world situations, and thus is only really at the mercy of Metropolis-style mishaps because of the fantastic elements of Metropolis.

In other words, in a brawl or if attacked by the average person, she will kick their ass. Against a trained opponent, she’s good enough you can’t take your eyes off her or allow her to get a weapon or she’ll now have the upper-hand against you... but if you cover her with a weapon competently, she’ll be smart enough and wary enough to be a prisoner, if a calm and dangerous one. And I’d say she should be practical enough that getting away or getting help would be her main goal of outnumbered or outmuscled.

For a good comparison, I’d say she should be someone capable of maybe most of what John McClane does in the first Die Hard film - she’s just in a Metropolis where instead of the random merc having an MP5 that would theoretically have its buckets stopped by a wall, it’s an Intergang bozo with an Apokilipitikan Laser Gun you can’t take cover from.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Kinda depends on the point in her life we're looking at. From the beginning I think if we're looking at a Lois that Sam Lane treated like the son he never had, and grew up on military bases, etc. she should definitely be comfortable and competent firing a gun and be able to hold her own in a fight against several people that a normal person without training wouldn't. Especially considering she'd likely be underestimated from the beginning. So like what Tom Taylor wrote in the Injustice 2 Annual.

I think later on down the road, if we're talking about a Lois that has been with Superman for a long time like the current main continuity version, you can get away with giving her a little bit more edge. She'd have picked up either a little bit more fighting competence, definitely some tech competence so her driving the Batmobile or even using the HellBat armor (ignoring the ridiculousness of what it was originally supposed to like kill Batman to use it) semi-competently to get a few unexpected shots in. It's unrealistic that she'd pick up stuff from Clark or even their friends like Diana or Bruce. But the stuff like her being able to take on the Furies is too far.
    Superman has trained street level guys before. So it happening wouldn't be that surprising.It's not like clark can't teach her anything.. As for furies, if batman and his family can "level up" i see no reason why lois should be left behind. Its a different landscape. Dc opened the floodgates with batman taking on darkseid.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-23-2020 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Superman has trained street level guys before. So it happening wouldn't be that surprising.It's not like clark can't teach her anything.
    Yeah, but probably not street level guys with military training. She might not be Navy SEAL or Green Beret level, but she can more than take care of herself. No knock against Clark but Lois should be better trained to the point where she should give him pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Yeah, but probably not street level guys with military training. She might not be Navy SEAL or Green Beret level, but she can more than take care of herself. No knock against Clark but Lois should be better trained to the point where she should give him pointers.
    That depends on which version of superman and the skill level of the superman involved. Goldenage guy had trained a world boxing hevy weight and he won the title if remember correctly . Apparently, lois got trained in kryptonIan karate. So, it depends.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-23-2020 at 07:39 PM.

That depends on which version of superman and the skill level of the superman involved. Goldenage guy had trained a world boxing hevy weight and he won the title if remember correctly . Apparently, lois got trained in kryptonIan karate. So, it depends.
    I meant most modern versions. I mean the guy who boxed with Ali and went the distance like Rocky could outfight God.

Superman has trained street level guys before. So it happening wouldn't be that surprising.It's not like clark can't teach her anything.. As for furies, if batman and his family can "level up" i see no reason why lois should be left behind. Its a different landscape. Dc opened the floodgates with batman taking on darkseid.
    I am open to that sort of thing. Nobody likes a partner who needs to be saved all the time. That can be annoying. At the same time if she can take down twenty guys in a room, that means she has taken a lot more training then someone who wants to work as a reporter. I wouldn't mind that. But it seems a bit off. In comics perhaps yes. The stakes are always high. But in films and other media, that would make her seem less like a reporter and more as a superhero. Dude why are you even a reporter? Put on a costume and become Nightflame or something. There ought to be some balance.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I’d say she should be “good enough to get herself out of trouble” in real-world situations, and thus is only really at the mercy of Metropolis-style mishaps because of the fantastic elements of Metropolis.

In other words, in a brawl or if attacked by the average person, she will kick their ass. Against a trained opponent, she’s good enough you can’t take your eyes off her or allow her to get a weapon or she’ll now have the upper-hand against you... but if you cover her with a weapon competently, she’ll be smart enough and wary enough to be a prisoner, if a calm and dangerous one. And I’d say she should be practical enough that getting away or getting help would be her main goal of outnumbered or outmuscled.

For a good comparison, I’d say she should be someone capable of maybe most of what John McClane does in the first Die Hard film - she’s just in a Metropolis where instead of the random merc having an MP5 that would theoretically have its buckets stopped by a wall, it’s an Intergang bozo with an Apokilipitikan Laser Gun you can’t take cover from.

Funny that you mentioned Die Hard. A while ago i read an article where the writer had to come up with a Die Hard like story for a comic book character. Lois Lane seemed a good choice. In the scenario, Ra's Al Ghul has taken over Santa's workshop. Batman and Superman are done for. And Lois is the unlikely hero fighting against the League of Assasains John McLane style. Fun of the premise of Die Hard is that McLane is tough. But he is brutally outgunned and outnumbered.

I wouldn't mind if she could fend off some fantastical foes. Anyone who needs to be saved constantly becomes annoying after a point. I am not saying taking down such opponets. But at least escaping or staying safe from such dangers. Why is it that only Batman is the guy who plans in the comics? Everyone knows that if we perceive danger we take precautions. Look at COVID-19. If you are living in Metropolis, and happen to be Superman's wife or girfriend, you can't be completely oblivious to impending dangers.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 05-23-2020 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I am open to that sort of thing. Nobody likes a partner who needs to be saved all the time. That can be annoying. At the same time if she can take down twenty guys in a room, that means she has taken a lot more training then someone who wants to work as a reporter. I wouldn't mind that. But it seems a bit off. In comics perhaps yes. The stakes are always high. But in films and other media, that would make her seem less like a reporter and more as a superhero. Dude why are you even a reporter? Put on a costume and become Nightflame or something. There ought to be some balance.
    She is a pulp character. She always had that larger than life swashbuckling vibes. As said, she used to fly planes and use tommy guns. Her training and her work are two separate issues. She can have a diverse skillset. Just because someone is a reporter, doesn't he/she is restricted to that.She is a reporter because that's her passion. A superhero wears a "costume" because a first zorro, then phantom, later on superman wore one. That doesn't mean it's necessary for an action heroine.Moreover,Vigilantism isn't something everyone would find attractive.

She is a pulp character. She always had that larger than life swashbuckling vibes. As said, she used to fly planes and use tommy guns. Her training and her work are two separate issues. She can have a diverse skillset. Just because someone is a reporter, doesn't he/she is restricted to that.She is a reporter because that's her passion. A superhero wears a "costume" because a first zorro, then phantom, later on superman wore one. That doesn't mean it's necessary for an action heroine.Moreover,Vigilantism isn't something everyone would find attractive.
    Good point. But imagine in a movie she takes down a roomful of twenty goons. Even Batman has to struggle to do that in the films. I think i would like that. I would love to see Lois get some action. God knows she is considered a dumb damsel in distress by many. But when is that going too far? It might be cool. People like characters who can kick butt. But this is thinking outside of usual. Even if she is showed as competent once in a while. this is being hypercompetent.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Good point. But imagine in a movie she takes down a roomful of twenty goons. Even Batman has to struggle to do that in the films. I think i would like that. I would love to see Lois get some action. God knows she is considered a dumb damsel in distress by many. But when is that going too far? It might be cool. People like characters who can kick butt. But this is thinking outside of usual. Even if she is showed as competent once in a while. this is being hypercompetent.
    What's hypercompentent?she doesn't exactly take people out with ease. Moreover, leveling up is natural part of action genre. Powers/skills don't stay at same level. They creep up. To mitigate that we put a creep limit. Where that is upto the need of the level of conflict in story.

Astonishing Member

The ferociousness of Amanda Nunes

The grappling of Ronda Rousey

The tenacity of Rose Namajunas

The brutal striking of Cris Cyborg

Throw in her Silver Age knowledge of Kryptonian Martial arts and that's where I'd put her.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Now, that is fun. So wait, did the lois lane clones pull a batman on justice league clones?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Joker's good with knives, with a lot of tricks, and he fights like the Drunken Master type, meaning the way he moves is very unpredictable. Unlike disciplined fighter, the Bat fam can't guess what his next move's gonna be. He also can go feral, fight wildly, stab, and bite like an animal. In some cases Joker venom also acts as an enhancer or painkiller.

That's the modern explanation.

Old golden age Joker can actually fight toe to toe with Batman though. He's supposed to be a good fighter.

That said most of the time the Batfam has no trouble fighting their villains. One punch is all it takes unless Joker went to feral mode. The problem is in their arsenal. Guns, goons, traps, hostages, juiced muscles they hire, Joker venom, fear gas, hypnotized henchmen, or metahumans. One or two of them may hire Deathstroke... stuff like that.
    They always say stuff like that, but I have a hard time getting it. Scarecrow, Harvey, and Joker are unaccomplished fighters who will just get the drop on him, but decide to spare him. What stops other people from just being crazy the way his villains are?

O'Neil was one who was pretty realistic about fighting skills vs stuff like weapons or numbers when it came to Batman. His Daredevil was arguably super powered and so he was actually a better fighter in the bronze age by comparison. Many writers since seem to put Batman up there in the low power bracket (Cap, Iron fist) but his villains pretty much stay the same.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member

All those strategies to take down the different League members but she just pulls Batman off from a rooftop.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

What's hypercompentent?she doesn't exactly take people out with ease. Moreover, leveling up is natural part of action genre. Powers/skills don't stay at same level. They creep up. To mitigate that we put a creep limit. Where that is upto the need of the level of conflict in story.
    That's where my concern lies. In comics its fine. But if she could take down 20 guys in a room, we are talking of a level equal to Black Widow or Batman. In Iron Man 2, Black Widow took scores of guys with her moves and gadgets. Even Batman in films isn't that kind of fighter. His most memorable fight was the warehouse scene in BvS. He was hurt and used gadgets as well.

Maybe that's what Lois Lane needs. If she can do such incredible feats, it could get her more fans. But i can't see DC doing such that in one movie Rober Pattinson takes down 15 guys. And in another Alexandra Daddario (Lois Lane hypothetically) defeats 12 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post

This so much fun! Love it. You got to hand it these comics. You think you have seen everything. And along comes something like this.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 05-24-2020 at 07:09 AM.

She should be able to hold her own against normal criminals or thugs, and she's super resourceful, but she shouldn't be punching too much above her weight.