Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    She should be able to hold her own against normal criminals or thugs, and she's super resourceful, but she shouldn't be punching too much above her weight.
    Well, what's her weight class is the discussion. I firmly believe she should be able to take guys like two face, riddler, toyman, trickster .. Etc

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Well, what's her weight class is the discussion. I firmly believe she should be able to take guys like two face, riddler, toyman, trickster .. Etc
    I think she could. It wouldn't be easy, but on her own I think she'd manage but not as gracefully as Batman would.

The stuff in the JLD movie seemed about where I usually figure Lois would be given the portrayal of how she usually is at her job. Though seeing her toss around Harley Quinn might make me biased.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Haven't seen the Harley thing but in general Lois is actually pretty consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    All those strategies to take down the different League members but she just pulls Batman off from a rooftop.
    I have to say that's definitely my favorite part of the whole comic.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

With her "raised on an military compound with soldiers by a general" background she already archived to be a lvl 15 soldier without actually joining the army. After coming of age she started to earn XP in her reporter profession which she is also by now is lvl 15 and hence unlocking the commando prestige class.

All in all shes a pretty mighty multiclass

lvl 15 soldier
    lvl 15 reporter
    lvl 10 commando/guerilla

A good example where she utilizes all of that is by her going literal commando by rescuing Clark around the time of their wedding.

... what, you asked for levels :P

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    With her "raised on an military compound with soldiers by a general" background she already archived to be a lvl 15 soldier without actually joining the army. After coming of age she started to earn XP in her reporter profession which she is also by now is lvl 15 and hence unlocking the commando prestige class.

All in all shes a pretty mighty multiclass

lvl 15 soldier
    lvl 15 reporter
    lvl 10 commando/guerilla

A good example where she utilizes all of that is by her going literal commando by rescuing Clark around the time of their wedding.

... what, you asked for levels :P
    Funny, but a power scaling mechanism wouldn't be a bad thing.After all, it's all just a game with literal toys for writers to play with.

Let me preface this by saying most non-meta people's fighting abilities in comics is utter BS. Many complaints I'm about to make aren't character-specific.

Lois isn't a "fighter," per se. She may have had some training in the past, but it's not her day job and she doesn't consistently train to fight (4 hours a week of martial arts classes, for instance, isn't nearly enough training for a "fighter"). She doesn't have the pedigree to be called a "fighter," and really, doesn't have the physicality for it. But comic books completely ignore the importance of physicality for fighters, and basically it's just "I practiced kung fu for a year and now I'm ready to take on the world." And because comics don't really take these things into consideration, you lose important distinctions like what makes someone such as a 6'2" 210 lb. Batman who's dedicated his life to fighting crime so much better than his opponents. It's such rubbish that they make it such a huge sticking point how hard Batman trained and yet these lesser fighters aren't completely outclassed by him.

I see references to the Harley/Lois fight that doesn't have spoiler tags, so I guess that's free game. If you think of it that Harley can keep up with Batman, and Lois can keep up with Harley, that's nonsensical to me. But the real issue is why can Harley keep up with Batman? If Batman is a 9.5/10 in fighting, Harley's really should be something a helluva lot lower, like a 5. Lois can beat a 5. And in the context of the story, she probably had nothing better to do than train daily. But if the opponent were someone like Deathstroke, Lady Shiva, Ra's al Ghul, or Bane (three villains, off the top of my head, who have good reason to be able to challenge Batman in a fist fight), it's lights out.

(Aside rant, Joker's fighting ability is just stupid. Either he's a trained fighter, or he's an ordinary schmuck like the rest of us. I can believe things like hidden knives, acid boutonnières, etc., but it's so moronic that his h2h game is amplified on the basis of being "crazy.")

I think the first episode of Lois & Clark got it about right. She can defend herself in a pinch. An unsuspecting goon is going to find himself in a much bigger struggle than he anticipated. That's what formal training when you were young will do for you. But put her in the ring against an actual "fighter," and it won't turn out well.

Funny, but a power scaling mechanism wouldn't be a bad thing.After all, it's all just a game with literal toys for writers to play with.
    Well, to be more serious about that shes at PL3 (DC Adventures Heroes & Villains: Vol. 2; page 219) which places her above the regular reporter level of PL1 (DCA Hero's Handbook; page 266) but below trained soldier (PL5; same book, next page). Personally I'd rather see her at PL5 or 6; which is a bit closer to sidekick stage. In relation; Tim Drake Robin is PL8 and Superman PL15. All stats based on the era between Infinite Crisis and before Flashpoint.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I would give her "can beat two guys with knives" at best
    Boom, right here. She has self-defense training, but she's no badass. Her strength is in her pen, not the metaphorical sword.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    Well, to be more serious about that shes at PL3 (DC Adventures Heroes & Villains : Vol. 2; page 219) which places her above the regular reporter level of PL1 (DCA Hero's Handbook; page 266) but below trained soldier (PL5; same book, next page). Personally I'd rather see her at PL5 or 6; which is a bit closer to sidekick stage. In relation; Tim Drake Robin is PL8 and Superman PL15. All stats based on the era between Infinite Crisis and before Flashpoint.
    Now, this is getting some stats. Thanks for that. Really, appreciate it
    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Boom, right here. She has self-defense training, but she's no badass. Her strength is in her pen, not the metaphorical sword.
    I wholeheartedly disagree. She is as badass as it gets. A gal that can fly a plane, kick your ass and use a gun.

Now, this is getting some stats. Thanks for that. Really, appreciate it

I wholeheartedly disagree. She is as badass as it gets. A gal that can fly a plane, kick your ass and use a gun.
    Sure, that's badass in our world. In the world where Black Canary can level a building by yelling at it and fight off an entire army? Not as much. Lois is very capable, but she's a civilian with self-defense training. That only gets you so far in the DC Universe. That's all I'm saying. Lois is one of my favorite characters, so believe me, I absolutely know she's great and can handle herself, but her truest strength is from her sharp mind, wit and determination to get the truth on the printed page. It isn't in martial prowess, nor should it be.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Sure, that's badass in our world. In the world where Black Canary can level a building by yelling at it and fight off an entire army? Not as much. Lois is very capable, but she's a civilian with self-defense training. That only gets you so far in the DC Universe. That's all I'm saying. Lois is one of my favorite characters, so believe me, I absolutely know she's great and can handle herself, but her truest strength is from her sharp mind, wit and determination to get the truth on the printed page. It isn't in martial prowess, nor should it be.
    Well, her miniature clone beat canary clone. Moreover, these guys have weaknesses and batman now takes on darkseid. There is no reason for lois to be unexceptional. The pulp action characters were always larger than life. Lois wasn't just everyday reporter gal, just like batman isn't just dude in a mask. Look as much as you mighy want to restrict her in the role of reporter. This is action comics. She is the first lady of it.she isn't above fistycuffs.finally,there are guys like two face, riddler... Etc who are perfectly within lois's range. Even in this world. I would want her to be able to take on harley quinns and tricksters of the world. She can have enhancement for the canary's of the world. With boost and enhancements she should be able to fight people.She was never meant to be just a civilian. Ever.

A gal that can fly a plane, kick your ass and use a gun.
    I'm 100% in favor of Lois' handgun skills being close to or at expert level. I think she can perform a kill shot, under pressure, from 20 meters away. But fly a plane? Please don't say that's the result of being an "army brat."

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I'm 100% in favor of Lois' handgun skills being close to or at expert level. I think she can perform a kill shot, under pressure, from 20 meters away. But fly a plane? Please don't say that's the result of being an "army brat."
    Nope! She picked it up while on her journeys. Pilots are very fragile, you see. They get knocked out or cause crashes very easily . She grew sick of it. Don't believe me?

Seriously, though its from old max fleischer cartoons and old comics.

Well, her miniature clone beat canary clone. Moreover, these guys have weaknesses and batman now takes on darkseid. There is no reason for lois to be unexceptional. The pulp action characters were always larger than life. Lois wasn't just everyday reporter gal, just like batman isn't just dude in a mask. Look as much as you mighy want to restrict her in the role of reporter. This is action comics. She is the first lady of it.she isn't above fistycuffs.finally,there are guys like two face, riddler... Etc who are perfectly within lois's range. Even in this world. I would want her to be able to take on harley quinns and tricksters of the world. She can have enhancement for the canary's of the world. With boost and enhancements she should be able to fight people.She was never meant to be just a civilian. Ever.
    This is the kind of thinking, frankly, that turned The Joker into a fast fighting game character from someone who wasn't a physical threat to Batman. It's what ruined the Green Arrow/Black Canary power dynamic by giving Ollie martial arts training. It turns characters into less interesting hyper-generalized, homogenized messes. All strengths, no weaknesses until everyone is the same with just a different costume. She absolutely is the first lady of comics. She probably has a mean right hook, but I'm not trying to restrict Lois so much as respecting the broad DCU.

She is a reporter who got some self defense training from her dad or his associates. Sam Lane et all have never been on Batman, Black Canary or anyone else's level. Neither has Lois. Moreover, yeah, she got a win on Dinah. Catwoman got a win on three flashes in as many panels. Bad writing is bad writing and everyone gets hit or benefits from it from time to time.

Yes, Lois could absolutely beat up The Riddler. He's not a physical threat to anyone. He's a schmuck in that respect. Two-Face strikes me as a guy who can take a couple of punches, but I can see Lois putting him on his ass with some difficulty. He's big, strong and a tough bastard, but has no martial skill. He just throws a punch and uses weapons with the same skill as a thug. Harley, while not at Dick's level, is an accomplished gymnast and trained fighter with some degree of advanced strength and abilities. She can threaten Batman a bit. She's out of Lois Lane's weight class as far as a physical threat, but Lois could absolutely crush Harley in a one-on-one test of character. She'd break Harley down given enough time, because Lois can cut through anyone's BS given enough time.

Yes, she absolutely was intended to be a civilian. She was designed to be someone for Superman to save but with a strength of character he admired. I know you have this very unique take on Superman, so perhaps we're destined to disagree, but elevating her to the rest of the DCU actually undermines her. She's unique BECAUSE she's not a physical threat to most the costumed world. She's terrifying because of her ability to put anyone under the microscope and root out the secrets they don't want anyone to know. Her strength comes from who she is and what she can do with her skill set, not because she can deck someone on top of it. Lois was always the kind of woman who would walk right up to Darkseid and tell him he's a jackass. She would look Slade Wilson in the eye and tell him that the only way to silence the truth is to kill her and better have tried. She isn't going to actually beat him in a fight or pose a challenge. That's not who or what she is.

Look back to early Rebirth. She used the Hellbat armor to fight the Eradicator. She's scrappy and resourceful. She has a very strong character. She isn't, however, anywhere on the DC power radar.
    Last edited by Robanker; 05-25-2020 at 02:35 PM.