Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

As a reporter that goes a lot of dangerous places and gets herself into dangerous situations, the idea that she's taken some self defense classes makes sense to me. I can also see her hitting the gym once a week or so to help stay in shape.

Still She's doesn't trains to FIGHT. She's trains to hit somebody and get outta there!

She can handled your average punk or mugger and can probably catch a trained soldier by surprise if she's lucky but she's not beating any named fighters.

Also I would assume Two-Face has a much better pain tolerance than your average person. He might not be a great fighter, but you gotta hit him harder and do more damage than you would to a normal guy to take him down. Of course I'm wiling to admit I'll accept most excuse why actual super villains don't just fold like a deck of cards when they're hit. Stories are just more fun when they're able to put up a fight.

Astonishing Member

You don't pull on Superman's cape,
    And you don't mess around with... Lois.

(Superman Family #222)

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I don't understand that. A lawyer with tommy gun is batman's equal. Yet, lois lane as a fighter should be out of everyone's league has to beat up small time thugs. Nope! That's nonsense. Just because you have this idea that lois was always a noncombatent doesn't mean she actually was. Right from goldenage she was badass. Her being able to write articles is great and all. But, this is still action genre. Superman's cast being able to throw some jabs, kicks wouldn't and shouldn't be out of character.
    Yes, this. From Lois Lane #78 in 1967, I'm sure there is more even before that time. Her father wasn't a military man in this period, and she had enough drive and skill to learn kriptonian martial arts.

But now that I think about it, if they're fighting in an open with little to no cover and a certain amount of distance between them, the guy with the Tommy gun should have a leg up on Batman.
    This is where I think she is, it's not like she can Kung-Fu her way out of a bullet wound if she is not near her opponent to disarm her, like in the episode Roulette:

Last edited by Cata; 05-27-2020 at 11:41 AM.

BANNED

Whatever the plot wants her to have as a indication of her coolness or convinence to make herself feel worthy of superman as a powerful equal. Like batman but as an active news reporter.

Beating harley is kinda saying the fact shes heaps above all women fighters by default because shes enguaged with superman the main lead of the dcu. Well minus superheroines especially wonder woman.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCeo View Post
    Whatever the plot wants her to have as a indication of her coolness or convinence to make herself feel worthy of superman as a powerful equal. Like batman but as an active news reporter.

Beating harley is kinda saying the fact shes heaps above all women fighters by default because shes enguaged with superman the main lead of the dcu. Well minus superheroines especially wonder woman.
    No mate, it means harley hasn't been do this shbang long enough to match lois. The guy is superman. By essence, nobody can touch him. He is the overdog. He renders every power structure irrelevant. Lois doesn't need to match with her. She can and has been beating guys well before harley was an idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Two Face is in no way Batman's equal. Most his rogues gallery are not a physical match for him. Once he gets to most of them, it's over in a page. Try harder, man.
    I don't need to. You said lois isn't on dc powerscaling level. Well then, most of batman's guys shouldn't either. They are. That puts her instantly on dc's powerscaling.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-26-2020 at 09:28 PM.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Speaking of which, how often did Lois physically fight back in the 40s? I know that contemporary reporters like the Blonde Bomber were a capable fighter in the Green Hornet comics I read.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

She wasn't that kind of "fighting machine" but in the old Girl Reporter stories she'd regularly clobber a few guys in a gag sort of way.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I don't need to. You said lois isn't on dc powerscaling level. Well then, most of batman's guys shouldn't either. They are. That puts her instantly on dc's powerscaling.
    Alright, if we're being pedantic, she is. She's just very, very low. She can fight thugs, which a lot of Batman's villains are. They have gimmicks and interesting personalities/flaws which make them compelling antagonists, but physically? Thugs. Unremarkable in every way save being able to take a punch. Lois can hold her own against a few thugs. That's fine.

Pretty much anyone in the Bat family, even Steph Brown, would absolutely trounce her, however. Any trained soldier who isn't underestimating her and letting her get free hits in should be able to put her down. She's the bottom of the physicality curve because, frankly, that's not at all important to being Lois Lane. Her strength is who she is, not who she can knock down.

For what it's worth, in my well over two decades of reading DC, I have never once before you seen anyone bring up Harvey Dent or The Riddler as benchmarks for any physicality. They are known to be nothing special in that respect. It's their personalities that makes them compelling, much like Lois Lane. I'm sensing a pattern here. Hmm...

But by all means, be extremely pedantic.

At that point, you're really scraping the bottom on the barrel. That opens up to conversations like, could "Lois Lane beat Jimmy Olsen in a fight?" or "who would win if Steve Trevor fought Commissioner Gordon." It's not an interesting enough conversation to even bother with. You'll never hear anybody asking "Who would win in a fight: Riddler or Two-Face?"

If people say they are excited to see a superhero fight Riddler or Mad Hatter, it's not the "fight" part they're really interested in. Is the setup, the gimmick, and the personalities.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    She's just very, very low.
    That's all i needed and want. To have her exchange some fisty cuffs. Why? Cause its fun.

This kind of reminds me of when The Batman cartoon came out about 15 years ago, and people were wondering why it insisted on making the Joker and the Penguin ninja-like in their fighting abilities. Maybe the cartoon guys were just bored of telling the same stories with those guys off in the corner while their henchmen did all the dirty work. That's probably not really the case, but I'm trying to spin this positively.

Maybe it's just a general phenomenon we can call "fighter creep." As characters in action stories persist longer, eventually they become great fighters. Happened to Xander in Buffy, and Gabrielle in Xena. If the Adam West Batman show were animated and lasted 10 years, Aunt Harriet would be kung fu fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Maybe it's just a general phenomenon we can call "fighter creep." As characters in action stories persist longer, eventually they become great fighters. Happened to Xander in Buffy, and Gabrielle in Xena. If the Adam West Batman show were animated and lasted 10 years, Aunt Harriet would be kung fu fighting.
    It is general phenomenon. Power creeps happen in all action based series. Its just how it work. Either you stick to a hierarchy relentlessly or blow it up with anyone being able to take on everyone else or intricate power systems with loop holes and strategies. The thing dc has gone for the third option, but the problem is intricacies are shallow and strategies equivalent to "i threw a rock at him". There is no back and forth mind games or chessboard with fists/tools.The strange thing is it succeeds (even with audiences too) . I mean, batman get superman with hocus pocus and a rock, every time. So, yeah! "it was a big rock".

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

You ever see Universal Solider? That should be Lois Lane. She should be a cyborg built for combat. No need for fighting skills, just a machine gun hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    You ever see Universal Solider? That should be Lois Lane. She should be a cyborg built for combat. No need for fighting skills, just a machine gun hand.
    Now that would be fun. But, mercy graves hijacked that concept.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    How dare you disrespect Lois that way.

We all know her reporter skills make her the Goddess of Truth (step aside, Diana, you wannabe and her training at the hands of General Samuel Lane make her far superior to nay mere combat machine. Batman himself admits that he has NO plan to take down Lois.