Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    It's not because Harley is a good person, it's because Harley got away from the Joker and built a life of her own.

Most people have no idea what domestic violence situations are like. The emotional conflict, the fear, the social judgement and lack of support, etc. Ignorant people say "well why don't the victims just leave?" but it's not nearly so simple or easy as that. I mean hell, a judge recently told a rape victim that she should've kept her legs closed. A f*cking judge. It'd take a college length paper to cover all the crap that gets in the way of DV victims escaping their situation. You really think there's an overabundance of help and support for women who are beaten by their husbands and boyfriends? There isn't. What there is, is a lot of fear. These women usually have few options; no money (because their partner controlled the finances), no friends or family (because the partner drove wedges in those relationships), no job, or at least not one that can sustain an independent lifestyle, no car, etc. The cops are very little help and as often as not are an actual hindrance. The court system isn't a help. And then you add in the emotional conflict; the victims usually do love their abuser, which yeah that's dumb, but you can't help how you feel right? They're scared, most of the time they don't want to leave they just want the abuse to stop, and they're traumatized into thinking it's all their fault. A lot of the time, they think they're safer staying than trying to leave. Their husband might beat them at home, but the victims worry that if they try to leave, they'll be killed.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. So yeah, Harley managing to get away and build her own life? For a lot of women that's an inspiration. Harley might be a killer and a psychopath, but women stuck in DV situations are told by cops to just not make their husband angry, to try and work things out. The court tells them the same thing, and if the abuser is punished at all, it's a slap on the wrist. You really think a victim of DV gives two sh*ts about Harley beating up cops and judges? Those women would likely want to do the same if they could get away with it, and who could blame them? Those people aren't part of the solution in most DV cases, but part of the problem. So yeah, women who have been through DV, they don't see Harley as a villain attacking the fabric of society, they see a woman who got out and then did whatever the f*ck she wants whether people like it or not. To them, that's inspiring. Not the crimes per se, but the fact that Harley no longer allows others to define her or her actions. She's still a psychopath, but she's her own psychopath and for DV victims who have had their entire lives controlled by others for long stretches of time? Being your own monster sounds a hell of a lot better than being someone else's.

Yeah, Batman has become a real d-bag. I miss the Bronze Age guy, who you could respect. Modern Batman is a psychopath with few redeeming qualities.
    This. As a person who grew up in a household where I watched my mother get choked by a phone cord on my 8th birthday, once the physical violence ended, spent years being emotionally battered by the same man, to marry a man who was just as emotionally abusive, it is empowering to see characters like Harley break out of toxic situations. Do I think that her all over the map characterization is great? No. Sometimes it’s pretty frustrating when reading about her, but I feel the same way when reading characters like Batman, Deadpool, and so on, get away with the same thing.

As far as her appearance goes, to those who don’t understand it’s empowering to wear whatever you like, has never had the **** beat out of them for wearing a skirt that was deemed a little too short, or a top that dipped a little too low.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 06-12-2020 at 06:23 PM.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    This. As a person who grew up in a household where I watched my mother get choked by a phone cord on my 8th birthday, once the physical violence ended, spent years being emotionally battered by the same man, to marry a man who was just as emotionally abusive, it is empowering to see characters like Harley break out of toxic situations. Do I think that her all over the map characterization is great? No. Sometimes it’s pretty frustrating when reading about her, but I feel the same way when reading characters like Batman, Deadpool, and so on, get away with the same thing.

As far as her appearance goes, to those who don’t understand it’s empowering to wear whatever you like, has never had the **** beat out of them for wearing a skirt that was deemed a little too short, or a top that dipped a little too low.
    It's crappy you had to go through that. My commiseration.

But yeah, Harls is about freedom and being your own monster instead of someone else's.

And maybe that's hard to see for people who haven't been in a similar situation as Harley was, or witnessed those who were.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

My problem with her is they stripped down her costume. While covering up other characters they strip her down.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    It's crappy you had to go through that. My commiseration.

But yeah, Harls is about freedom and being your own monster instead of someone else's.

And maybe that's hard to see for people who haven't been in a similar situation as Harley was, or witnessed those who were.
    Thanks, I really appreciate that. It means a lot. Although next time, I’ll limit it to two glasses of wine before posting.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Spectacular Member

I agree as well. I used to like Harley Quinn but now its getting out of hand. Since Suicide Squad came out, everyone went crazy over her and DC completely cashed into that. Didn’t she fought against Superman and won as well?