Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

In a movie or TV show.

For me, every time I see Tony Stark walk into the press conference after his return from captivity, I want a Burger King cheeseburger. Desperately.

What is it for you?
    The 80s Transformers cartoon’s Bumblebee made me want to own a VW Bug as a kid (and I eventually did), so that was pretty effective product placement for me.

I doubt it was intentional but, Arnold riding a Harley-Davidson Fat Boy in T2...

...also got me to buy one when I could afford it.
    I still own it.

In The Truman Show, the actors would essentially do commercials as they were interacting w. Truman. Effective, and kinda creepy.

Budweiser actually tried to get their logo blurred out, in the movie Flight. Denzel wasn’t the greatest of role models in that one!
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 05-31-2020 at 09:37 AM.

Unquestionably it was Reeces Pieces in ET.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

It made ME want one for Christmas.

Porsche. There IS no substitute.

Sales rocketed for this handgun after Dirty Harry hit theaters.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 05-23-2020 at 07:19 PM.

Forest Gump- Nike

Space Jam and Like Mike also. Plus Space Jam pushed Gateroade hard.

Ghostbusters - Staypuft marshmallows. I mean it was a fictional product, but it was effective nonetheless.

^^^I'll give you that. A nice bit of foreshadowing.

All the whisky in Bladerunner.

Bond's Aston Martin is a very quintessential product placement. Would the Harry Potter book in the Devil Wears Parda (2006) count?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Agreed.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-24-2020 at 04:58 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Extraordinary Member

Completely agree.

M&Ms/Mars Inc are STILL kicking themselves for turning Spielberg down for that film.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

That's probably the most iconic bit of product placement there is in film so I'd say that was number one. Another favorite of mine were the leather converse sneakers in I, Robot. Sure, it wasn't as subtle as Reeces Pieces but they were cool and I instantly went out and bought them after that.

Extraordinary Member

Not sure if this qualifies as specifically product placement, but...

...Tom Cruise's Ray Ban sunglasses in Top Gun sure had people running out and buying them - myself included.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Not exactly product placement in a movie or show, but I was wearing purple sneakers for a long time after having read Fractiom/Aja's Hawkeye book.

First heard about Stride gum in an episode of Smallville. Didn't give me Pete Ross powers, but it was long lasting gum.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    That's probably the most iconic bit of product placement there is in film so I'd say that was number one. Another favorite of mine were the leather converse sneakers in I, Robot. Sure, it wasn't as subtle as Reeces Pieces but they were cool and I instantly went out and bought them after that.
    The question was not "what's the most successful product placement" - that's indisputable. The question is which one resonated with you personally

I've always wanted a DeLorean. I had to settle for red and white Nike sneakers.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JamesonAnders View Post
    The question was not "what's the most successful product placement" - that's indisputable. The question is which one resonated with you personally
    I think the two go hand in hand, if a bit of product placement didn't resonate with viewers it wouldn't be successful.