Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Probably because of the hurt expression on the Surfer's face like he's having a prison shower moment...

Extraordinary Member

Anybody saw this and agree with this?
    Sentry the Jobber : How Marvel Turned the Powerhouse into a Pushover
    Last edited by mace11; 07-06-2020 at 04:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Anyway saw this and agree with this?
    At this point, being written poorly is the only thing consistent about the Sentry.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Seems like Marvel has a thing for jobbing their most powerful characters these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Seems like Marvel has a thing for jobbing their most powerful characters these days.
    That's the problem with having a universe where street level guys have to interact with gods. Batman never REALLY has a chance against Superman if the writing is even half descent, but at this point that's just how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    And they also have a thing for making everybody job to street level (or slightly above) badass characters with an attitude.
    Last time Jean Grey fought Wolverine (who was hallucinating her as Lady D), she tried to beat him by jumping on his back.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Anybody saw this and agree with this?
    LOL a panel before this Bob got smacked in the face by Mjolnir. A few pages before that Thor landed right on top of him. And after this page, Bob is completely unharmed because all Cobra did was cleanse his chi.

This is why power level fetishists deserve no rights. The writer called in another brick just to set up another brick being open for one moment and still gets a dumb rant video.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I read the book, and it makes no sense.

BP should be smart enough to KNOW that he can't hold SS in an arm bar. But instead he's threatening to break Surfers arm if Surfer doesn't submit. It makes BOTH look bad. It makes Surfer look weak and T'Challa (to anyone who has an understanding of Surfers power) look stupid for having no idea whatsoever about what the Surfer can do. Or it makes the author look bad if teh author doesn't know... either way, it's just a bad scene that doesn't make sense.

Which in all fairness isn't that uncommon for the Surfer. There are MANY MANY times writers water him down ... when you're as powerful as him I suppose that just comes with the territory. But it's bad timing for a Surfer fan since it happens immediately after he got a power upgrade. We have the most powerful version of Surfer we've ever had, this happens. That's the downside of being a fan of powerful characters... you need to get used to this sort of thing.
    I also read this when it was new, and I agree with you. It was a headscratcher then and still is. It makes the writer, the artist and the characters all look bad.
    T'challa should be too smart to even attempt a silly physical dust up with the Surfer. You could make a surprise attack on a dump truck, but it still doesn't mean you can lift it. But it is comics after all.

While we are talking about jobbing can someone do something about Kingpin? He is just a bald dude with a glandular problem. I'm shocked that this dude is still around.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    While we are talking about jobbing can someone do something about Kingpin? He is just a bald dude with a glandular problem. I'm shocked that this dude is still around.
    LOL, oh no, this thread is a can or worms for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I'm okay with him throwing down with DD, but anytime Spidey even has to come close to breaking a sweat I roll my eyes a little.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Sometimes I think writers just need to try a little harder, because Batman CAN beat ... Hulk... just not with a freaking kick.
    Umm, no.

Put Batman in a cage with Hulk, no deus ex machinations or preparation, he's dead. "But prep is Bruce's thing," you insist? Right, but there has to be limitations on what Bruce can conceivably pull out of his utility belt. I mean we don't see him deploying nuclear missiles from drones on a daily basis against any of his normal rogues gallery of foes. He doesn't even use it on Superman. But that's what he'd need against the Hulk.

One on one, in the same field of battle, there's absolutely no way the current Hulk loses to Batman. The Hulk doesn't even have to touch Bruce. By clapping his hands, the Hulk can create a massive shockwave that would pulverize Bruce's bones to the point of liquification. He'd be Bat Soup.

If we're being completely honest, bigger, stronger, faster and more durable men then Bruce play in the American football league. They get their bones broken all of the time, to say nothing of concussions and other nasty injuries that plague them for the rest of their lives. Again, that's by playing against and impacting other NORMAL human beings. Bruce would not last very long in the NFL without getting injured, and he damn sure wouldn't survive a realistic fight with the Hulk.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 07-06-2020 at 07:02 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    If we're being completely honest, bigger, stronger, faster and more durable men then Bruce play in the American football league. They get their bones broken all of the time, to say nothing of concussions and other nasty injuries that plague them for the rest of their lives. Again, that's by playing against and impacting other NORMAL human beings. Bruce would not last very long in the NFL without getting injured, and he damn sure wouldn't survive a realistic fight with the Hulk.
    I don't think any NFL players(real life ones) are peak human like batman and captain america(616).

Check out pre-flashpoint batman and post-flashpoint batman.

Bruce Wayne (New Earth)
    Peak Human Condition: Batman has dedicated his life to be as close to human perfection both physically and mentally. Through intense training, a specialized diet, and biofeedback treatments, Batman represents the natural pinnacle of human physical prowess. A doctor once commented that he is in the "perfect physical health." His physical attributes exceeded that of almost any Olympic level athlete. His strength, speed, stamina, agility, reflexes, endurance, balance and coordination are in peak human perfection.

Ever since he was 11, Batman began his physical and mental conditioning, and followed by intense physical training and weight lifting at age 12. He had mastered full body control by the time he was 18.

Bruce Wayne, since his childhood, has followed a strict diet to enable his body to develop and operate at its most proficient, along with biofeedback treatments (using portable/non portable machines to stimulate muscles to contraction). Batman has performed amazing physical feats due to his pinnacle physique.

He engages in an intensive regular regimen of rigorous exercise (including aerobics, weight lifting, gymnastics, and simulated combat) to keep himself in peak condition, and has often defeated opponents whose size, strength, or other powers greatly exceeded his own as for example, he defeated the Bat-Bane in armed combat. Nightwing has defined him as a master of the human condition.

Peak Human Strength:
    Batman regularly bench-presses at least 1,000 lbs. during his exercise routine.This allows him to be capable of doing amazing feats such as punching a SWAT officer through a brick wall. He's able to break steel handcuffs,and bend prison bars with his bare hands. He once pulled the maximum weight of 300 lbs scale bar behind him with all his effort, using one arm.

Peak Human Reflexes: Bruce's reflexes were honed to such a degree that he has caught one of Green Arrow's arrows in mid flight when he tried to shoot him.He is able to dodge gunfires at close range

Peak Human Speed: He can run and move at speeds comparable to the finest competing athletes. He has shown enough speed to catch up a speeding car while running.

Peak Human Endurance: His endurance is comparable to that of the finest Olympic Decathlon participant. His lung capacity is so great that he could hold his breath underwater for 3 minutes and 15 seconds.He can survive in the airless vacuum of space for exactly 27 seconds. He continued to function after a gunshot that injured one of his legs without feeling any pain.He can go up to 80 hours without sleep.

Peak Human Stamina: At peak capacity, Batman can physically exert himself for approximately an hour before the build up of fatigue toxins began to impair him.

Peak Human Agility: His agility exceeded than that of a Chinese acrobat and an Olympic gymnast.His main phase of movement was Parkour which he learned in France and used to scale the city's rooftops or on widow buildings in an acrobatic manner.

Peak Human Balance: His balance and dexterity is at the peak of human perfection. He has been shown to perform feats greater than those of skilled athletes.

For more info go here.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Bruce_Wayne_(New_Earth)

Batman (Bruce Wayne)
    Peak Human Condition: Through intense training, a specialized diet, and biofeedback treatments, Batman represents the natural pinnacle of human physical prowess. His physical attributes roughly exceeded that of an Olympic level athlete. His strength, speed, stamina, agility, reflexes and coordination are at peak human perfection. He has spent his entire life in pursuit of physical perfection and has attained it through constant intensive training and determination. He can hold his breath underwater for 6 minutes.

Peak Human Strength: Bruce's strength is at the highest limit of a normal human could achieve. He was able to break through a thin brick wall,and break a small motorcycle in half with a single kick.His strength increased even further beyond a normal human, due to his exposure to Dionesium.

Peak Human Speed: Batman's so fast that his punches and kicks are blurs, in combat.Considered faster than his previous self from New Earth by Superman, due to his youth. His speed's beyond that of any ordinary human and increased even more due to his contact with Dionesium.

Peak Human Agility

Peak Human Endurance

Peak Human Stamina

Peak Human Reflexes

For more info go here.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Batman_(Bruce_Wayne)
    Last edited by mace11; 07-06-2020 at 08:15 PM.

I'm okay with him throwing down with DD, but anytime Spidey even has to come close to breaking a sweat I roll my eyes a little.
    You would think villains that live in NYC they would form their own syndicate. I find it amazing that the Punisher has killed so many people but just can't seem to get Kingpin.

Wait...why doesn't the Kingpin just send Hydo-Man to kill the Punisher? Hydro-Man would finish Punisher off easily.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I don't think any NFL players(real life ones) are peak human like batman and captain america(616).
    Peak human is still only human. These characters tend to be written in ways that vastly distort what even a peak level human is capable. (Fun exercise: I'm not sure if you follow professional sports, but if you get a chance, go ahead and research some of the top metrics of today's professional athletes. What Marvel defines as "Peak Human" is approximate. For example, at last check the max level for peak human strength was only 800 lbs. on one of the Marvel wiki sites, presumably measured as a dead lift. In the real world, the record for a dead lift is about 1,100 pounds. They're ballpark close in terms of peak effort and exertion.)

So what does it mean to be peak human? Does it mean that they have more dense bone tissue than someone that is superhuman? No. Well, it only takes about 25 pounds of pressure to break small bones. The hand is nothing but small bones. Punching a human in the face or skull can break the bones in your hand. Peak human or not. Now imagine punching something as dense as the Hulk's artillery shell resistant thick hide. Broken bones in your hand everywhere would be the result. That's true for Cap and Bats.

Further, it only takes somewhere from about 150-180 pounds of pressure to break some of the larger bones in the human body. Peak human or not. So imagine you are the Hulk, somewhere between 1,150 and 1,400 pounds of unfettered fury, further bolstered by musculature that enables you to toss aircraft carriers weighing in excess of 101,000 pounds without breaking a sweat. To say that the Hulk can exert far more than 160 pounds or even 1600 pounds of pressure on the bones of even the most peak of human skeletons is the understatement of the year. A finger tap from the Hulk would cause a peak human's skeletal structure to collapse. That's true for Cap and Bats.

Ahh, if only the Hulk and other OP characters were written to their true capabilities. And if only these annoying peak humans were written like they're only peak human. Sure, some readers would find that a very boring fictional universe, but I would be tickled pink. "This sounds like a job for a true superman," would be the clarion call of the day again.