Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    You are looking at this threw your well known golden age bias. That version of the character is not modern Superman. If he had not evolved and changed with the times Superman would have probably faded out decades ago. If he was portrayed now like he was in the Golden age he would be seen as an anti hero breaking the law to enforce "his"brand of justice. That simple black and white version from the golden age would not work anymore. The version most people know these days is the one where he IS Clark Kent. He grew up a fairly normal kid who just happened to develop superpowers. He did not arrive on Earth with his personality already formed.
    I disagree with this actually. I think now, more than ever, a Golden Age take would be entirely relevant. Not saying you don't tweak it, but the general concept, hell yes it could work. And, as he evolved before, he could evolve again. That most people these days know of the origin where its Man first and Super later, doesn't mean it has to stay that way. Indeed, its severely tiring out just like other eras have. It can change again. It should change again, so he can be relevant again. I don't take the New 52 example as that this kind of idea is rejected. The journey of the New 52 as a whole had far more to do with poor planning and implementation more than the general idea of the changes. Rebirth's fallen apart the same way despite resigning itself to returning to the familiarity of the 30-40 somethings. That's a DC problem.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-25-2020 at 01:01 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El