Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Orcbolg (Goblin Slayer) Vs Guts (Berserk)

Bloodlust!

Round 1- Base level- Orcbolg has his short sword and shield ONLY and Guts has his great sword ONLY!

Rpund 2- Orcbolg ALSO allowed to use the Gates Scroll + his healing and stamina potions and Guts can use the Berserker Armour and the dragon slayer

RULES:
    No hand cannon
    No repeating crossbow
    Weapons cannot break
    They both knew about each other before the fight and has 1 week preptime!

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

In a straight fight, in either scenario, Guts cooks Orcbolg without issue. He's fought bigger, tougher, faster and far more powerful opponents and prevailed.

With prep though?

That's a whole other matter. Orcbolg is a good prep guy so he might be able to offset his stat disadvantage with good tactics.

Still a tall order, Guts is vastly above pretty much anything he's fetched up against that I can recall, especially with Berserker Armour.

Goblin Slayer is *explicitly* a prep guy. He knows it, his friends know it, his enemies know it (well, those that remain alive that is). A direct fight is not his forte, where Guts carves him up with ease.

I'd favor him in Round 2, as Round 1 might as well be a non-prep battle due to lack of resources. With the gate scroll, I wouldn't put it past him to use it as a waterjet, open it up into space, or some other nastiness.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Honestly, in Round 1 Guts would tear Orcbolg to pieces even without weapons, up to and including his prosthetic arm. Guts swats aside beings on the same tier as things that Orcbolg needs an entire party to barely survive against.

Even with prep, he's dealing with a guy that essentially does Goblin Slayer's job without any prep or stealth and makes it look easy, plus is so fast and skilled that he's likely to dodge anything that Orcbolg can fire out using the Gate Scroll (anything that he can fire out without risking killing himself before it can hit Guts, anyway), and healing and stamina potions aren't really going to help when Guts' first strike is going to cut him in half vertically without any possibility of dodging or blocking.
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 05-25-2020 at 02:11 PM.

Not strictly necessary, it's just one of my favourite pages in the manga.

A reminder that Guts when he's moving appears like a dark tornado of death to regular humans:

Can GS's armor even with prep, survive a storm of crossbow bolts/cannonball to the face?

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Can GS's armor even with prep, survive a storm of crossbow bolts/cannonball to the face?
    The OP stipulated that Guts get his crossbow or hand cannon.

Fight: Guts wins.

Prep: Goblin Slayer needs dark witch chick for serious magic scroll to stand a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    The OP stipulated that Guts does not get his crossbow or hand cannon.
    Just gonna fix that for you Drunkard.

The worst part of all of this for Orcbolg is that, since it isn't stated, the location of the fight is the arena.

Scenario 1 - Guts almost cannot lose. At least equal endurance, much greater strength and speed, rough parity in armor, greater reach.... yes, Orcbolg is a prep guy, but he's limited to sword and shield in this fight, and the arena has no obstacles to use to try and out-maneuver Guts. I think Orcbolg is better at throwing his sword and hitting a target, but Orcbolg's sword is not going to drop Guts in one hit, and Guts actually does have some skill with throwing knives. I am just not counting them in this scenario.

Scenario 2 - Orcbolg might get 1 out of 10 fights. Again, like in Scenario 1, if Guts gets within sword-range (which is probably twice or more Orcbolg's range), Orcbolg dies. Guts has repeatedly shown the ability to go through multiple people with Orcbolg's armor in a single swing. And while he doesn't have his crossbow or cannon, I see nothing stopping him from using his throwing knives as he closes. Since the arena is a wide-open area, there is nothing Orcbolg can use to slow Guts down.

The one win I am giving to Orcbolg is him doing something on the scale of the Gate Scroll, surprising Guts with it, hitting Guts, and hitting hard enough to take Guts down. The last bit is probably the hardest, due to the Berserker armor.

Long story short - Orcbolg needs some changes to make this an even fight. A change in the setting - a forest, sewers, goblin caves, etc. - that does not leave Orcbolg in plain sight at the start would go a long way into increasing his survivability. Especially in settings where walls would get in the way of Guts's normal swings, or locations where Orcbolg can set actual traps up without Guts seeing him. Not having the Berserker armor would help as well, since the argument of "Guts gets cut in half by a water jet, but the armor holds him together enough to close and kill Orcbolg and survive a 10-count" is no longer in play. Possibly having a bit of outside help, such as a Protection wall cast by the Priestess in the stands or a single arrow from the Elf could also swing things around.

But as it is.... Orcbolg is not fighting goblins. The shock-and-awe tactics will not work - Guts has seen it all before and done them himself. Guts is not craven or a coward like the General or the like - he will continue the fight past the point where most men and all goblins would have died. And Orcbolg simply does not have the equipment, nor the time to upgrade and get used to it, to match most of Guts's stuff. As of Doldrey, Guts is the 100-man-killer. He went solo against 100 guys with at least comparable equipment to Orcbolg and at least some combat training, and was fine to fight the next day. The closest equivalent I know of in Goblin Slayer is the Farm Raid, which Orcbolg specifically went and got extra help since he knew he could not handle it. Simply put, Guts is built to mulch through the likes of Orcbolg on his way to an actual difficult target, and in the scenarios given, Orcbolg has very little to swing that around.
    ---

Sincerely,

Melchior, the Geddon Knight

Orcbolg's had difficulties on more than one occasion when he's forced to fight something that's not a Goblin, he's hyper specialized against them and he doesn't like being taken out of his comfort murder zone.

Plus you know it's Guts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Just gonna fix that for you Drunkard.
    Whoops. Auto-correct, what you do to Drunkard.

It's always sad to me when people post fights due to a superficial resemblance and think it would make a good rumble. Bane and Hulk, Lizard and Killer Croc. Next would be people putting Batman against the Spectre. Why not? Both of them are dark, wear capes and brood all the time...

Quote Originally Posted by Twickster View Post
    It's always sad to me when people post fights due to a superficial resemblance and think it would make a good rumble. Bane and Hulk, Lizard and Killer Croc. Next would be people putting Batman against the Spectre. Why not? Both of them are dark, wear capes and brood all the time...
    With Prep, Bats could theoretically win if he's facing one of the versions of Spectre whose powers can vary drastically enough depending on how pissed the Presence is with its opponent at any given time, provided that he sounds all that preptime ramping up charitable works as Bruce Wayne and general heroics as Batman, then literally prays for some divine assistance. Even then, though, it's very unlikely to really be even close to enough.

Amazing Member

I should have specify what location they are fighting like whether in a cave or at night in a forest with certain distance apart, but I guess that doesn't, matter now, Orcbolg is a situational guerrilla fighter, he will not win in straight up arena fight, because I started watching the 2016 sequel of Berserk and from what I can tell in order for Orcblog to even a chance of winning is through choosing a specific battlefield like that cave in the 1st episode of The Goblin Slayer + preptime. Too late now I guess!