Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Question Whatever happened to Doctor Strange's Defenders?

Hi guys

Long ago, Doctor Strange created a group for fighting the supernatural threats, similar to Justice League Dark, but they have been missing for a while.

Whatever happened to them?

Talking

Dr. Strange made a deal with Mephisto to get them out of his life, for Mephisto getting a part in his second movie.

Honestly I have no idea. I'm in a silly mood at the moment.

If you mean the Secret Defenders, he pawned them off on Doctor Druid because he had to deal with a 90's crossover.

BANNED

One of the best superhero teams ever. Strange, Namor, Surfer, Hulk, plus Valkyrie and Moondragon. I mean anyone who encounters that team is done for. The amount of power there is unfathomable.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

The original Defenders lineup had some kind of cosmic prophesy that required them to split up. Then we ended up with the New Defenders with Beast in the lead, but that ended when X-Factor wanted to start. I think the original lineup was back with the Secret Defenders, but I don't know because I never read it.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    One of the best superhero teams ever. Strange, Namor, Surfer, Hulk, plus Valkyrie and Moondragon. I mean anyone who encounters that team is done for. The amount of power there is unfathomable.
    I think that line up was almost too powerful. Only a handful of threats can deal with Surfer and Strange at the exact same time without some jobbing going on. Though in all fairness a bulk of the Defenders stories didn't have them at their full strength.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think that line up was almost too powerful. Only a handful of threats can deal with Surfer and Strange at the exact same time without some jobbing going on. Though in all fairness a bulk of the Defenders stories didn't have them at their full strength.
    True but imagine being in that world just knowing that team exists, like Strange could just assemble them whenever there’s some big threat. The villain world would be deeply afraid of this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    True but imagine being in that world just knowing that team exists, like Strange could just assemble them whenever there’s some big threat. The villain world would be deeply afraid of this team.
    I think the world WAS deeply afraid of them. At least at certain points in their history. That's a very scary team.

Namor and Hulk alone would terrify most people.

But I think that's part of the reason Val, Patsy and Kyle in the early part of the Defenders at least took as much center stage as they did. It sort of brought the group down to earth a bit.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think the world WAS deeply afraid of them. At least at certain points in their history. That's a very scary team.

Namor and Hulk alone would terrify most people.

But I think that's part of the reason Val, Patsy and Kyle in the early part of the Defenders at least took as much center stage as they did. It sort of brought the group down to earth a bit.
    Agreed. Having more grounded characters like Nighthawk and Hellcat definitely strengthened the dynamic in that series. But those original four, it blows my mind just thinking about what they can do as individuals. As a team, virtually unbeatable.

In the early 2000s Kurt Busik and Erik Larsen did a Defenders series which featured a very reluctant reunited Dr. Strange, The Hulk, The Silver Surfer, and Namor getting cursed they couldn't get away from each other (which they did because they could NOT stand to be around each other without them getting into a fight) while Namor and Dr. Strange each had their own missions Silver Surfer just wanted to leave and the Hulk just wanted to fight. The other Defenders Hellcat, Valkyrie, and Nighthawk (I think that who it was) trying to keep the main 4 from killing each other while trying to help save the world while Nighthawk dreams of the Defenders being a team on the same level of the Avengers and the main 4 telling the others they want nothing to with them or each other. After about 12 issues or so, Larsen left and the book was re-titled The Order with Dr. Strange, Namor, The Silver Surfer, and the Grey Hulk have taken over the world and it's up to other Defenders to stop them after they mop the floor with the Avengers, the X-Men, and every other superhero on the planet Earth. They somehow break the curse (and also reveals that the Order was mind-controlled) and all of them disband and go there separate ways.

This book was really heavy into ultra obscure Marvel lore and continuity and plays the whole curse binding Strange, Hulk, Surfer, and Namor as a joke and doesn't do the others any favors. Kurt Busik tried with The Order but it went from a weird kind of dark superhero comedy to a standard powerful superheroes taking over the world and these misfits are the only ones who can save them. It's not bad but it's pretty boilerplate fare. The artwork on The Order was good and before that on The Defenders Larsen might be a bit of an acquired taste as an artist but his style did fit the retro-70s feel of the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    In the early 2000s Kurt Busik and Erik Larsen did a Defenders series which featured a very reluctant reunited Dr. Strange, The Hulk, The Silver Surfer, and Namor getting cursed they couldn't get away from each other (which they did because they could NOT stand to be around each other without them getting into a fight) while Namor and Dr. Strange each had their own missions Silver Surfer just wanted to leave and the Hulk just wanted to fight. The other Defenders Hellcat, Valkyrie, and Nighthawk (I think that who it was) trying to keep the main 4 from killing each other while trying to help save the world while Nighthawk dreams of the Defenders being a team on the same level of the Avengers and the main 4 telling the others they want nothing to with them or each other. After about 12 issues or so, Larsen left and the book was re-titled The Order with Dr. Strange, Namor, The Silver Surfer, and the Grey Hulk have taken over the world and it's up to other Defenders to stop them after they mop the floor with the Avengers, the X-Men, and every other superhero on the planet Earth. They somehow break the curse (and also reveals that the Order was mind-controlled) and all of them disband and go there separate ways.

This book was really heavy into ultra obscure Marvel lore and continuity and plays the whole curse binding Strange, Hulk, Surfer, and Namor as a joke and doesn't do the others any favors. Kurt Busik tried with The Order but it went from a weird kind of dark superhero comedy to a standard powerful superheroes taking over the world and these misfits are the only ones who can save them. It's not bad but it's pretty boilerplate fare. The artwork on The Order was good and before that on The Defenders Larsen might be a bit of an acquired taste as an artist but his style did fit the retro-70s feel of the book.
    Honestly that book was PROBABLY a more realistic potrayal of how the Defenders would function as a team than the original. It's frankly a miracle in hindsight the team lasted as long as it did (though the second tier Defenders Val, Patsy and Kyle work). They probably went over the top with their differences for the sake of humor, but I bought it.

If nothing else I did like how powerful they portrayed the order in the end. The core 4 of the Defenders are INSANELY powerful... most versions of the Avengers frankly would't last 5 minutes and it showed.

I loved the Original Defenders: Doc Strange, Hulk, Namor and SS with Valkyrie, Nighthawk, Power Man Luke, Tania Belinski Red Guardian/Starlight and Hellcat.

I never quite connected with Namor or the Surfer as Defenders. My lineup is Hulk, Magician, Birdnose, and Girl.

Ultimate Member

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere the reason Silver Surfer was kinda in and out of the group during the 70's was that there was a unofficial semi-embargo. The Surfer was considered Stan Lee's and he didn't want anyone else being the regular writer. Of course, that stopped being a thing in the mid-80's.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere the reason Silver Surfer was kinda in and out of the group during the 70's was that there was a unofficial semi-embargo. The Surfer was considered Stan Lee's and he didn't want anyone else being the regular writer. Of course, that stopped being a thing in the mid-80's.
    Even if that wasn't the case, I wouldn't be shocked if they left the Surfer out of stories which didn't involve at least Hell LOrd level threats. It's fine to have him on board when they are facing Mephisto or whatever, but villains like Mandril or Dracula (and I know Dracula fought the Surfer but that was BS) have no business on the same battle field as the Silver Surfer. So you probably wanna use him selectively anyways.