Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    I think you meant amazingly awesome. The first two Thor movies are my two least favorite MCU movies by far and its not even close. I had no intention of seeing Ragnorak but I kept seeing reviews saying it was surprisingly good so I saw it and yeah it was shockingly good. Top 5 MCU for me.
    I'm a huge fan of the comic book character Thor, so the first two movies were a big disappointment to me. Chris Hemsworth seems like a nice guy, but he's about as intimidating as a wet sock. The third movie was *also* nothing at all like 'my' Thor, but at least it was *fun* and I was able to sit back and enjoy the ride.

I find, in my case, I'm much more likely to be super-impressed by a movie about a character I don't know or care as much about, like Spider-Man or Iron Man, than one based on a character I really like, whom I'm much more likely to be super-fussy about, like Thor or Dr. Strange. (For that same reason, I don't care at all that WB's Green Arrow is little or nothing like the comic book character, but kind of want more from any TV/movie appearances of the Justice Society, Teen Titans, Young Justice or Legion of Super-Heroes, who I *really* like!)

Interesting, Thor 1 is my favorite Phase I movie overall. Thor 3 pretty much has only one bit I absolutely love - "Get Help," which has me chuckling just thinking about it. It's not bad, I like Thor 3 better than Thor 2 in a lot of ways, but it was very successful at being something I wasn't necessarily interested in.

By contrast, I really like both Batman v Superman and Justice League, and the big disappointment was how much hate they got, rather than anything about the movies themselves.

I mean, I'm looking forward to the Snyder Cut, because I felt like JL was too short, and Snyder and some of the actors were robbed, but not because I disliked the Justice League that I've seen and got.

Judging from how people seem to feel about it online, I think I might be theatrical JL's biggest fan on the internet. :P

Most disappointing super-hero movie? I don't know, probably the animated Batman and Harley Quinn. It got my hopes up so high, and then mugged and shot them in an alleyway.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Disappointing does not mean the film is bad. If you wanted to make a list featuring bad superhero films, then you would make a Top 10 Worst Superhero Films list. But of course, let's be honest here, the only reason why this list was made was to capitalize on the recent Justice League news and you can't fudge Justice League to be the top of that list in good faith.

Also, the recent Star Wars film is considered universally to be disappointing and it still made a billion dollars. I would go so far as to say that for a film to be viewed as disappointing by the broader public, you'd have to have a film that has high viewership.
    To say it was universally disappointing is to say that nobody liked or loved it which is obviously not true considering it's overwhelming success. It is far more true to say that some people who found it disappointing feel a need to declare that it was universally disappointing. That's easy to "prove" if you only count sites and people that declare their disappointment and don't count everything from positive reactions to box office which does not reach the levels it did without people seeing the movie again and again.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Thats fine but what major group of people or studio exec was disappointed in Captain Marvel or Ironman 3? Angry white dudes on the internet who hate Brie Larson and Comic fans who were upset about the Mandarin twist(Which judging by reviews went over great with people outside of our circles). Neither make up any amount of people who can qualify a movie being a disappointment. Both movies did great with the general audience and made more money then anyone expected. ... AoU on the other hand didn't top Avengers and some comic fans didn't like Ultron( I was meh on him. Didn't hate him but for sure didn't love him) so I guess you can argue that movie. But it wouldn't dethrone any of the movies on that list imo.
    Yes those of us on boards like this one far too easily forget that the average movie goer (a group that vastly outnumbers comic fans) had no idea who the Mandarin was or maybe had heard the name and dismissed him as "Oh, yeah. I remember him from when I was a kid, that racial stereotype Fu Manchu ripoff villain") Then they project their disappointment onto millions of people who were not disappointed at all and loved a movie. But clearly everybody hates it because out of millions of people, they can point out hundreds of negative youtube videos from people who are going to hate everything that isn't exactly what they wanted.

Not to say none of these movies have real flaws. But, yeah, Disney must be sooooo disappointed by a movie like "Captain Marvel" that made a billion dollars. Well, Disney did have to buy half the tickets [rolls eyes]. But some of these people are equivalent to the juvenile that gets proven wrong by evidence at every turn and then laughs, ignores all the evidence and self-declares his own victory.

Again, you can argue the quality of a movie but someone declaring it was a disappointment or failure to everyone or most people in the face of the overwhelming evidence that a movie was overwhelmingly popular and anything but disappointing is another matter.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesonAnders View Post
    It's not about you though, is it? The question wasn't Pinsir's Top 10 Disappointing Movies. Also, it's not about MCU movies or fans. It is, to quite a large extent, about box office.
    Just to clarify, the point I made are not necessarily ones that I share. I don't think plot holes really exist and I still contend the comment about Black Widow and 'her' being a monster was blown way out of proportion.

The reason why I take issue with this article is I see it as part of a broader trend in pop culture media to erase criticism of the MCU and portray the franchise as being infallible.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    To say it was universally disappointing is to say that nobody liked or loved it which is obviously not true considering it's overwhelming success. It is far more true to say that some people who found it disappointing feel a need to declare that it was universally disappointing. That's easy to "prove" if you only count sites and people that declare their disappointment and don't count everything from positive reactions to box office which does not reach the levels it did without people seeing the movie again and again.
    This box office = good stuff makes no sense. You literally buy the ticket before you even see the film.

Yes, sometimes people will go see a film more than once and I gave an example of myself going just that for Ultron. People have different social spheres, and often if a movie is disappointment, they might see the film again specifically because they want to confirm if their initial reaction to the film was accurate. People can only be disappointed in something if they were already a fan of it.

I see this box office = good stuff frankly as astoundingly toxic. Also, two of the films on the list, Spiderman 3 and BvS, were massive successes. The article itself clearly doesn't care about the box offices.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 05-31-2020 at 12:14 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Niffleheim

Endgame. This is the biggest masturbatory nonsense i have ever had the misfortune to watch after something as good as Infinity War (and i loved LOVED this movie). Maybe my expectation was too high but Superhero movies haven't disappointed me before to this degree - maybe it was because it was an Avengers movie idk.

Incredible Member

Are we forgetting about Schumacher Batman?
    Sounds perfect.

Schumacher Batman is a masterpiece of unintentional comedy. I love Batman & Robin.

Ultron (Horrible Avengers movie)
    Iron Man 2 and 3 (big letdown after 1)
    Thor 1 (really boring movie)
    Batman Returns (big letdown after 1)
    X-Men: Apocalypse (what a poop bag of a movie)
    X-Men: Last Stand (same)
    Green Lantern (this was so atrocious I'd like to turn back time and stop it)
    Superman 3 (after the masterpieces that were 1 and 2, this was horrific)
    Amazing Spider-Man 1 and 2 (The moment I saw Peter's parents, I knew this was bad)
    Captain America: Winter Soldier (it wasn't a Captain America movie, it was a SHIELD movie)
    Captain America: Civil War (It wasn't a Captain America movie, it was an Avengers movie)
    Fantastic Four (I did like seeing Jessica Alba undressed, though)
    Justice League (Unwatchable tripe, probably killed the DCEU, which is saying something)
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Big Hero Six

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Since it's about personal disappointment, it's completely subjective and based entirely on my expectations. I had no expectations for bad movies that followed bad movies, like IM3, JL, FF2, F4, XMOrigins, Dark Phoenix, etc. So, none of those disappointed me. A few that did ...

- Batman & Robin. George Clooney is how I picture Bruce Wayne. I had a huge crush on Chris O'Donnell from the previous one. And there wasn't the glut of superhero movies back then so my standards were usually pretty low. It was terrible. Almost unwatchable. I like it more now that I know what it is but still such a huge disappointment.

- Batman vs. Superman. For some reason, I thought this would be an iconic movie. The two biggest heroes coming together. Huge expectations for me. Huge disappointment.

- Fantastic Four. Couldn't wait to see them on screen. So bad. Just cheap and stupid with obvious editing errors. Felt amateurish. Worse than anything I could imagine. Chris Evans was good, though. He made a good Johnny.

- Green Lantern. This one is on me. There was probably no reason to think this would be good but I really thought it would be fun, exciting, grand. Nope.

- Hulk. So boring. How can a Hulk movie be so boring?

- Iron Man 2. My expectations were sky high after Iron Man 1, which is still one of my favorites. This brought them crashing down.

- X3. Love Phoenix. Enjoyed X2 a lot. Then this. I've never re-watched it, it's that disappointing.

Interesting. I like Batman & Robin because it's hilarious, I like Batman v Superman because it's literary, I like Hulk because it's true to the psychological themes of the comics, and I think Iron Man 2 and Fantastic Four are... okay. I like Iron Man 2 a lot more than the FF movies, but part of me just thinks it's because the Fantastic Four aren't necessarily that well-suited to film. Maybe someday I'll be proven wrong. Iron Man 2 just never stood out as bad to me the way it did to some others. Similarly, Thor 1, which I've already mentioned I love.

Green Lantern disappointed me too, but not in a way that really bugged me - I just think it's badly written and that the CG isn't great. And I hate externally imposed alignment changes - which has me a little worried about Zack Snyder's Justice League and the potential of anti-life.

By contrast, I didn't care for X2. Never bothered to watch X3.

What's a movie that did disappoint me? I guess Spider-Man: Far From Home? I just... don't love it that much. I especially hate the ending. But I don't hate the movie overall. I just don't love it that much.

No son of the mask, crow city of angels or tank girl? Also that last fantastic four movie was a mess.

Kind of surprised they didn't bring up howard the duck as howards comic did so well with adults there was a newspaper strip also and people really did expect the film to be good before it came out.

Astonishing Member

1Batman and Robin 2.Catwoman 3.Blade Trinity 4.CA first Avenger 5 Green Lantern 6.Thor Dark World 7.Superman Returns 8.Darkman II 9.FF RoSS 10.Xmen Origins Wolverine
    Last edited by Rev9; 06-02-2020 at 01:42 PM.