Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    MCU has some of the worst cinematography in films. Their movies look like expensive cartoons. Where do you think Scorsese got the idea they are theme parks?

The writing and story telling is written for 10 years olds. Their stupid jokes every 5 minutes is childish.

Directors are there in casting only. MCU movies have a formula and a bad one.

Effects are overblown with CGI, they belong in video games

They may have some nice costumes, its only for advertisement to sell action figures for Disney.

The Not MCU/Marvel movies are above the curve. Disney is shiting out all this MCU products, at least DC and not MCU/Marvel takes chances and its not there to please ten years old only.
    Good 23rd post. I would humbly suggest that box office receipts suggest it's not MCU that is making movies for a...limited...audience.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesonAnders View Post
    No, actually, none of those movies was considered a disappointment, certainly not by the studio. Even Ragnarok, which I hate, was considered good.
    And I think that's a big aspect to consider when you rate how big a disappointment a movie is. If the studio themselves are disappointed and they made the darn thing, that carries a LOT of weight. Moreso arguably than your typical movie goer who just threw down a couple dollars.

MCU has some of the worst cinematography in films. Their movies look like expensive cartoons. Where do you think Scorsese got the idea they are theme parks?

The writing and story telling is written for 10 years olds. Their stupid jokes every 5 minutes is childish.

They may have some nice costumes, its only for advertisement to sell action figures for Disney.

The Not MCU/Marvel movies are above the curve. Disney is shiting out all this MCU products, at least DC and not MCU/Marvel takes chances and its not there to please ten years old only.
    MCU movies are movies that a 10 year old can appreciate... but to argue that they ONLY please 10 year olds I believe is a factually untrue statement. When you're stringing together multiple billion dollar movies in a row, you can make a pretty good arguement that you're pleasing quite a few people. That doesn't necessarily make them "great" movies by whatever standard you measure greatness... but in the least I think it's more than fair to argue plenty of people are happy with the product. Not just 10 year olds.

No, actually, none of those movies was considered a disappointment, certainly not by the studio. Even Ragnarok, which I hate, was considered good.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I don't think Captain Marvel was ever deemed a disappointment by anyone other than people pissed off at Brie Larson. I don't even like the movie that much, but it did well enough.

MCU movies didn't make it on the list because their worst ones were mediocre at most
    Disappointing does not mean the film is bad. If you wanted to make a list featuring bad superhero films, then you would make a Top 10 Worst Superhero Films list. But of course, let's be honest here, the only reason why this list was made was to capitalize on the recent Justice League news and you can't fudge Justice League to be the top of that list in good faith.

Also, the recent Star Wars film is considered universally to be disappointing and it still made a billion dollars. I would go so far as to say that for a film to be viewed as disappointing by the broader public, you'd have to have a film that has high viewership.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I would go so far as to say that for a film to be viewed as disappointing by the broader public, you'd have to have a film that has high viewership.
    Agreed. But for a film to be not disappointing, you have to have high re-viewship
    Last edited by JamesonAnders; 05-26-2020 at 12:39 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Disappointing does not mean the film is bad. If you wanted to make a list featuring bad superhero films, then you would make a Top 10 Worst Superhero Films list. But of course, let's be honest here, the only reason why this list was made was to capitalize on the recent Justice League news and you can't fudge Justice League to be the top of that list in good faith.

Also, the recent Star Wars film is considered universally to be disappointing and it still made a billion dollars. I would go so far as to say that for a film to be viewed as disappointing by the broader public, you'd have to have a film that has high viewership.
    It probably was, and is pretty unnecessary. We don't really need a reminder that JL or any of these other films were bad, and seems pretty pointless right now.

I think it does belong on possible list, if not on the top spot though. But it's not like it doesn't include Marvel properties, or that it includes all DCEU films (even Suicide Squad is off, let alone the good ones) so it's not really pro-MCU. They just don't have anything bad enough to be in the company of some of the others.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    The latest Hellboy didn’t make the list?
    Maybe because expectations for a Hellboy without Del Toro and Perlman were ankle-high to begin with?

I remember I wanted to watch it to give a nod to Jojovich at least, but it bombed so hard that despite going to the movies regularly at the time, it was out of screens by the time I wanted to give it a go second week.

BANNED

The recent Star Wars film did everything and more that was expected of it. I hated it, but it was hardly disappointing to most who saw it.

I don't know why the list exists, but I doubt it has little to do with a Justice League recut.

The recent Star Wars film did everything and more that was expected of it. I hated it, but it was hardly disappointing to most who saw it.

I don't know why the list exists, but I doubt it has little to do with a Justice League recut.
    I'm pretty sure they just reposted an old article - they do that all the time when a topic might seem relevant again.

But yes, a key component to this whole discussion is about the disappointment, rather than the overall quality, meaning the difference between expectations/hopes and performance. The article also seems to be talking about disappointment from the studio standpoint rather than personal disappointment as a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Newsarama ranks it's 10 Most Disappointing Superhero Movies of All Time.

https://www.newsarama.com/23421-10-m...ro-movies.html

10. Punisher: War Zone
    9. Spawn
    8. X Men Origins: Wolverine
    7. Spider Man 3
    6. Hulk
    5. Fantastic Four
    4. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
    3. Green Lantern
    2. Daredevil
    1. Justice League
    I've seen all of these except Punisher and Daredevil. Some of them are vague in my memory. I would personally remove "Hulk" from the list and substitute "Catwoman". I would also remove Batman vs. Superman. To me, "disappointing" in this context means "Not what I wanted". True, that's not the normal definition of disappointing but I suspect this is more about wanting something else rather than it being low quality. To quote Roger Ebert, "The Incredible Hulk" is no doubt an ideal version of the Hulk saga for those who found Ang Lee's "Hulk" (2003) too talky, or dare I say, too thoughtful. But not for me."
    Power with Girl is better.

Thats fine but what major group of people or studio exec was disappointed in Captain Marvel or Ironman 3? Angry white dudes on the internet who hate Brie Larson and Comic fans who were upset about the Mandarin twist(Which judging by reviews went over great with people outside of our circles). Neither make up any amount of people who can qualify a movie being a disappointment. Both movies did great with the general audience and made more money then anyone expected. ... AoU on the other hand didn't top Avengers and some comic fans didn't like Ultron( I was meh on him. Didn't hate him but for sure didn't love him) so I guess you can argue that movie. But it wouldn't dethrone any of the movies on that list imo.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Hulk, Spawn, Daredevil and Punisher don't belong on that list. The internet wasn't around back then to build that kind of hype we're used to now. Not like today where everyone slightly interested knows about a trailer of an anticipated movie coming out. Also theese 3 didn't have that kind of studio meddling. I'd put Suicide Squad, BvS, Doctor Strange and Captain Marvel on that list.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Maybe because expectations for a Hellboy without Del Toro and Perlman were ankle-high to begin with?

I remember I wanted to watch it to give a nod to Jojovich at least, but it bombed so hard that despite going to the movies regularly at the time, it was out of screens by the time I wanted to give it a go second week.
    Jovovich herself literally uses only one facial expression in her movies. She's a signal things are downhill already. A goodlooking signal.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Newsarama ranks it's 10 Most Disappointing Superhero Movies of All Time.

https://www.newsarama.com/23421-10-m...ro-movies.html

10. Punisher: War Zone
    9. Spawn
    8. X Men Origins: Wolverine
    7. Spider Man 3
    6. Hulk
    5. Fantastic Four
    4. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
    3. Green Lantern
    2. Daredevil
    1. Justice League
    I’m surprised X-Men 3 isn’t on that list, likewise Apocalypse after the success of DOFP. As others have said there wasn’t much expected of Justice League by the time it arrived.

#1 has to be BvS - even though I like it for the most part. Same for me with AoU, though I consider too many of the characters there to be off. Whedon should’ve dialed back the Whedon there.

And which Fantastic Four is it?

BANNED

Back again? As usual so much wrong with the post.