Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Maybe because expectations for a Hellboy without Del Toro and Perlman were ankle-high to begin with?

I remember I wanted to watch it to give a nod to Jojovich at least, but it bombed so hard that despite going to the movies regularly at the time, it was out of screens by the time I wanted to give it a go second week.
    I watched it in cinema and you did not miss something. Now I would just wait until it showed up on prime. Costs less and you can stop anytime^^

There are only two films in my life that I walked out and felt incredibly disappointed and hollow. One of those was Spider-Man 3. After the second film, which still remains as one of my favorite superhero films, I was so excited for the third and man what a let down that was. The other was Iron Man 2.

Most of those films on that list I knew what I was getting into prior to seeing.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JamesonAnders View Post
    Agreed. But for a film to be not disappointing, you have to have high re-viewship
    That's the odd thing, for me. I can rewatch and enjoy the much-maligned Green Lantern movie, and have indeed done so. I don't watch it like I rewatch Deadpool or anything, but it's still, for me, *vastly* more re-watchable than the much-better-received Nolan Batflicks, which bore me to tears. Ditto Batman v Superman. I can rewatch Wonder Woman, on the other hand, and love to do so, even if I skip the end, cause, yawn, poorly lit CGI fest that stomps all over the themes of the first 2/3rds of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    No Catwoman? Wow.
    Was anyone expecting Catwoman to be good?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    MCU has some of the worst cinematography in films. Their movies look like expensive cartoons. Where do you think Scorsese got the idea they are theme parks?

The writing and story telling is written for 10 years olds. Their stupid jokes every 5 minutes is childish.

Directors are there in casting only. MCU movies have a formula and a bad one.

Effects are overblown with CGI, they belong in video games

They may have some nice costumes, its only for advertisement to sell action figures for Disney.

The Not MCU/Marvel movies are above the curve. Disney is shiting out all this MCU products, at least DC and not MCU/Marvel takes chances and its not there to please ten years old only.
    ^ Love this post, this is the best post on the CBR forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Was anyone expecting Catwoman to be good?
    I certainly don’t hope that a movie would be bad. At worst, I hope that it’ll surprise me.

Halle Berry’s a talented actress and the in-every-movie-at-the-time-because-he’s-“hot” male lead isn’t terrible himself. Can’t ever speak for story till you’ve seen the thing, and...well...yeah it disappointed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    I certainly don’t hope that a movie would be bad. At worst, I hope that it’ll surprise me.

Halle Berry’s a talented actress and the in-every-movie-at-the-time-because-he’s-“hot” male lead isn’t terrible himself. Can’t ever speak for story till you’ve seen the thing, and...well...yeah it disappointed.
    It's easy to forget the moment when it's so far in the past, but given the lead actress and the popularity of Batman at the time, there was almost no one expecting Catwoman to be a complete failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Thats fine but what major group of people or studio exec was disappointed in Captain Marvel or Ironman 3? Angry white dudes on the internet who hate Brie Larson and Comic fans who were upset about the Mandarin twist(Which judging by reviews went over great with people outside of our circles). Neither make up any amount of people who can qualify a movie being a disappointment. Both movies did great with the general audience and made more money then anyone expected. ... AoU on the other hand didn't top Avengers and some comic fans didn't like Ultron( I was meh on him. Didn't hate him but for sure didn't love him) so I guess you can argue that movie. But it wouldn't dethrone any of the movies on that list imo.
    Going to the theatres is not a proclamation that the audience thinks the film is good, or its not a disappointment or it will have a cultural legacy. People go to the theatres to be entertained, not to cast a ballot that will be used ten years, twenty years, a hundred years from now to prove a point. I've seen films in theatres that I don't like, including a good chunk with of the MCU. I liked most of them at the time, but latter in my life, I grew bored of them. So when MCU fans shout out box office numbers and make these claims, you are outright misrepresenting my current opinion on these films.

As for Iron Man 3 and Age of Ultron, I saw both these films in theatres. For Iron Man 3 I paid for 2 additional seats for my brother and his friend, for Age of Ultron I saw this film twice, once with my family, once with my friends. Even at the time I viewed these films as disappointing and I would have classified myself as an MCU fan at the time. I also participated in the MCU fandom at the time and I can tell you that these films were poorly received as well by the fanbase at the time (and still are).

Iron Man 3 was (and still is) viewed as a disappointing end to the Iron Man films. It's seen as poorly adapting two famous elements of the mythos (Extremis arc and Mandarin), having another forgettable villain, a meandering plot and was riddled with "plotholes" (Why did Iron Man have to wait for a crew to excavate his mansion to free his suits? They could have just blown threw). For me personally I took issue with the damsel plotline and narrative inconsistency; in one scene, the Extremis Soldiers are depicted as victims (they're amputees from America's imperial wars and some of them are clearly used as suicide bombers against their will), but at the end of the film, Iron Man and co. slaughter these people. Coming after the hype of Avengers 1, IM3 was a huge disappointment and really failed to live up to the legacy of the first IM film too.

Age of Ultron is my pick for one of the most disappointing films though. The trailers depicted Ultron as an intimating, serious foe and yet, the film completely emasculated Ultron and turned the character into a joke. People objected to Black Widow suddenly falling in love with Hulk and the line about her being a monster still gets up to this day. Iron Man also straight up makes a rape joke too, whose really the only character in the film to gain some character development, leading the film to be called Iron Man 3.5. The cinematography is also drab and the locations, which vary from New York to Africa, to Korea to Eastern Europe all look the same. Plus there is some pretty bad cgi work, with that opening cartoon depicting the Avengers raiding a Hydra base as a low point for cinema as a whole. There is a reason why Joss Whedon exited the MCU after this film.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Ultimate Member

The worst Marvel movie to me is Thor the Dark World and it’s still far more enjoyable than most of the movies on the list.

Based on critical and commercial reception, Marvel hasn’t made any dud yet, just that some aren’t great. Stringing together billion dollar movies is no easy feat and speaks to how well their movies have played with the general public. And this is keeping in mind that the movies have largely been on an upward trajectory until Endgame became the biggest film of all time.

Seriously though, I don’t know why Fox,Sony and WB and the other studios made so many silly mistakes with their superhero movies. All these companies have made good to great superhero movies. Honestly, WBs approach to allowing the movies to standalone was the best move they could make at this point. Sony is still trying with the shared universe thing and I hope it works out for them but I think should simply concentrate on making their movies good first before tying everything together.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    So when MCU fans shout out box office numbers and make these claims, you are outright misrepresenting my current opinion on these films.
    It's not about you though, is it? The question wasn't Pinsir's Top 10 Disappointing Movies. Also, it's not about MCU movies or fans. It is, to quite a large extent, about box office.

Extraordinary Member

It's easy to forget the moment when it's so far in the past, but given the lead actress and the popularity of Batman at the time, there was almost no one expecting Catwoman to be a complete failure.
    In a way, Catwoman’s potential place on the list relies entirely on where you think expectations would have reasonably been set. By the same Hollywood logic that led to the changes in the story and character from her more traditional roots, there was no reason it should have failed - they had Halle Berry, and a recognizable IP, what more do you need? By the logic of the Catwoman fans already shaking their heads and going “WTF?”, there was no reason it should have been made - you were removing the connection to the parent franchise so thoroughly it effectively wasn’t the IP that the name belonged to.

So I think for comic fans, it really didn’t have expectations to fail, whereas for movie fans, it maybe did.

If they’d had Berry play Selina Kyle and did a simple heist story, there’d maybe be more of an alignment between the two groups.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Superman Returns should also be on the list. They made a HUGE deal out of it back when it was coming out. Then it was met with a "meh."

From the point of view of disappointment as something you trusted and had great expectations of, Thor Ragnarok takes all 10 slots.
    I think you meant amazingly awesome. The first two Thor movies are my two least favorite MCU movies by far and its not even close. I had no intention of seeing Ragnorak but I kept seeing reviews saying it was surprisingly good so I saw it and yeah it was shockingly good. Top 5 MCU for me.

My list:

1. X-men: Last Stand. The first two X-men movies were sooooooo good. Then this movie forgot about storytelling in favor of CGI and pissing all over the Dark Phoenix storyline.

2. X-men: Dark Phoenix. I liked DoFP and Apocalypse. The cast was great. I hoped they'd do the Dark Phoenix story right this time. Silly me.

3. Spiderman: Homecoming. This is largely because of my love of the Raimi movies, even the third which while nowhere near the 1st two is still okay. Plus I don't want a teen Spidey. He was barely ever a teen in the comics. Then they made massive changes to the supporting cast that just didn't work IMO -for instance Flash should be a jock not just another smart geek.

4. Superman Returns. The original Superman movies beyond the score have not aged well. Mimicing them thus really didn't work. Absolutely amazing trailer though.

5. Green Lantern. Might be higher except I had low expectations going in.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Age of Ultron is my pick for one of the most disappointing films though. The trailers depicted Ultron as an intimating, serious foe and yet, the film completely emasculated Ultron and turned the character into a joke. People objected to Black Widow suddenly falling in love with Hulk and the line about her being a monster still gets up to this day. Iron Man also straight up makes a rape joke too, whose really the only character in the film to gain some character development, leading the film to be called Iron Man 3.5. The cinematography is also drab and the locations, which vary from New York to Africa, to Korea to Eastern Europe all look the same. Plus there is some pretty bad cgi work, with that opening cartoon depicting the Avengers raiding a Hydra base as a low point for cinema as a whole. There is a reason why Joss Whedon exited the MCU after this film.
    Yeah I remember liking Avengers and AoU at the time just for going to the movies. But sometime after watching AoU only once I thought to myself, opening slo-mo Hydra raid scene in mind, did this really deserve to earn whatever gazillion dollars and endless hours of pre-release online discussions from people like me before actually getting to watch it?

I thought no, in a way that drifted me away from most MCU movies and into more DC movies and Fox mutant movies even as they imploded. Or just other kinds of movies.

The only worst experience I can think of is Amazing Spider-Man 2, which has ever since eye rolled me away from live Spider-Men. Loved Into the Spider-Verse though.