Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default As the JSA returns, how should DC handle the fact that they basically failed?

Before anyone pummels me for such inflammatory heresy, please hear me out. Let me start by saying that, in-universe, the JSA certainly saved lots of lives, and did lots of good. That said...

There's been an accepted conceit that the JSA are revered legends, in part because - in-universe, at least - the JSA are regarded as having fought for the world in some of it's darkest hours, and made a better place of it. That conceit has been there since fairly early in the JSA's history (All-Star Comics #10 characterized them as almost Mount-Rushmoresque-Figures 500 years in the future). Roy Thomas really drove the notion home with the role he gave them and the other GA heroes in All-Star Squadron. That conceit really worked from the 1960s-1990s because, from the mainstream US point of view, things at least appeared better than in the past.

True, it looked better to people ignoring rising income inequality, or that non-white-straight-male progress was stalling, or that oppression and fanaticism around the world were rising (especially during the 1990s). Still, from the POV of most of DC's customers, the myth that the world was a better place than in the past was pretty easy to swallow. That encouraged writers to depict the JSA as basking in a very similar glow to that which US citizens sometimes attach to Greatest Generation WWII veterans; these were the people that saved civilization, and helped it to prosper.

That's no longer the world in which many Americans live.

The JSA helped conquer totalitarianism. Except that it never went away in some parts of the world, and has returned with a roar in many others, perhaps even more robust than in 1933.

The JSA smashed criminal empires. Except that gangs not only continue to proliferate in urban centers, but heavily armed "militias" occupy centers of government.

The JSA cast down would-be kings. Except that an ever smaller number of people control most of the world's worth, consigning ever larger numbers of people to more fragile existences.

The JSA fought for and helped assure justice. Except that "justice" seems to be applied differently based on who you are, or where you come from, or what you worship.

So, the JSA today will exist in a world that - to some, at least - doesn't look as bright or optimistic as the world the JSA was fighting for. How should the DCU's populace, then, look upon the JSA?

I haven't read all the JSA that's been published in the last 20 years, but it seems like what I have read has largely ignored this change in backdrop. The 1992 series dealt with this a little bit, and so did Robinson's excellent Golden Age, but very little of what I've read has really taken it head on. The focus of the last few titles were on legacy and supervillain rumbles.

As they're brought into today's world, how should writers and editors depict the JSA's image in a world like ours?

Extraordinary Member

Just like any real life people fighting in World War II or any type of police, or serviceman. Men during that time....at some point you have to pass the buck to the next generation because they’re seniors now.

Also you’re ignoring all the progressive things in the past 70 years. So it is better than now.

Astonishing Member

Well, the JSA were beacons of hope during WW2. That sheen will never go away. Its not that people now hate on WW2 veterans or the Greatest Generation just because they find that the world today is sucky (or because they have political differences with the current status quo).

Ultimately, the JSA were superheroes, not social activists. Their job was to protect America from violent threats, be it the Third Reich or the Injustice Gang. They weren't trying to create some kind of utopian society. They were just some of the best and brightest representatives of their generation, doing their bit during a time of war.

Claiming the JSA failed because of events outside of the US can easily be explained by their name: Justice Society of America. Unless the US is involved in the war (WWII in this case), they are hands off in regards to this. This kind of story's been done a few times in regards to the Justice League. Theoretically they could overthrow every government that is "bad" but what gives them the moral judgement to determine what is "bad."

As far as issues within the US, it can be explained as them not being there to prevent it. Pre-New 52, they were taken off the table by the US Government after WWII. If we go by current continuity, Dr. Manhattan erased them from history. Either way they weren't around to combat those issues.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Incredible Member

Between the 60s and the 90s the world was on constantly on the threshold of nuclear war with countries having the power to destroy the world 1000s of times over whilst mired in vietnam, and losing multiple proxy wars across africa. Im not sure how post 90s is somehow worse than between 60s and 90s.

Is Snyder still writing justice league or has he moved on to just dk death metal?

Extraordinary Member

I might point out that the same things can be asked of the JLA too, and the TT, and every other present day team. None of them have solved those social problems either. And in fact this has been the basis of storylines in both JSA and JLA IIRC.

Spectacular Member

Do you tell veterans of WWII that they are failures because fascism and the Nazis are still around, genocides still happen, dictatorships are still in power in several countries, and at one point their country funded terrorists.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by PD98 View Post
    Do you tell veterans of WWII that they are failures because fascism and the Nazis are still around, genocides still happen, dictatorships are still in power in several countries, and at one point their country funded terrorists.
    I do not. My point is that almost every institution seen as a glorious symbols of The American Way have lost some of their sheen under much needed scrutiny in the last 20-30 years. The JSA has not.

Is that something writers should look at in what is now a much less optimistic America?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PD98 View Post
    THIS! All day long.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I do not. My point is that almost every institution seen as a glorious symbols of The American Way have lost some of their sheen under much needed scrutiny in the last 20-30 years. The JSA has not.

Is that something writers should look at in what is now a much less optimistic America?
    They already did that with the JSA over the years. Starting back in the 80s when they wrote America vs the Justice Society.

It deal with the McCarthyism from the 1950s and the untold tale how the JSA had to deal with it.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    They already did that with the JSA over the years. Starting back in the 80s when they wrote America vs the Justice Society.

It deal with the McCarthyism from the 1950s and the untold tale how the JSA had to deal with it.
    I need to read that.

the fact that they basically failed? ...
    Not so.

If they are to be depicted as still around (be it them or their legacies), simply they haven't failed since they'd still be fighting for and championing everything that works to disprove you.
    That would still be the fight, what makes them heroes.
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-26-2020 at 02:33 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    Is Snyder still writing justice league or has he moved on to just dk death metal?
    yeah his run ended with #39. but according to him that was just the beginning. I would expect to see Snyder on more events and big-name books in the next few years. Apparently he might be writing a Dick Grayson book too

Before anyone pummels me for such inflammatory heresy, please hear me out.
    Heard you out, found it inflammatory, disagree completely, done here.