Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    If you do a Google search, this thread will pop up lol. I don't see much of anything else.

I recall Morrison writing that Storm could be at ground zero of Genosha in his proposal (it's in the trade) but not much else with her. Claremont grabbed her after that, but Claremont always wants dibs on Storm. Is this just fandom rumor that grew?
    I have had a hard time tracking down anything concrete about Morrison's plans[pertaining to the Scott/Ororo idea]. There exists some copy of his entire proposal in some archives somewhere, but that was the closest I could come.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I have had a hard time tracking down anything concrete about Morrison's plans[pertaining to the Scott/Ororo idea]. There exists some copy of his entire proposal in some archives somewhere, but that was the closest I could come.
    If it's the "Morrison Manifesto," it's in the third of the deluxe collections. From what I've scanned of it, Storm is only mentioned once as helping with disaster relief but not much else.

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    Source? I remember he couldn't have Storm but I don't remember him saying he was going to use her for the affair.

X-Treme is very understated. It's my favorite Blue/Gold A/B X-Men title. They felt connected but separate, modern, but classic. The two legends writing side by side. Good times.

It's not perfect; mostly the inconsistent art though. I would have loved to have seen Storm (and an out Iceman) in Morrison's cast as well. It would have been nice to see Morrison's more in depth takes on other characters.

I think Lobdell and Niciezia (sp?) wrote her well. No one compares to Claremont though.
    It goes well back to interviews on the internet which have been scrubbed. Back to 2004. Morrison's intent was always to break Scott and Jean. Emma was never part of that original plan as she was added later.

Since Emma was Colossus’ replacement, I only see fitting that Colossus was originally the one to have the affair with Cyclops. That’s how I choose to see it and I refuse to see otherwise.
    Emma Frost, Rogue, Felicia Hardy, Helena Bertinelli, Allison Blaire, Barbara Gordon, Monica Rambeau, Carol Danvers, Illyana Rasputin, Ororo Munroe, Harleen Quinzel, Lorna Dane, Irene Adler, Kate Kane, Rachel Grey Summers, Jean Grey, Diana Prince, Barbara Ann Minerva, Donna Troy, Jennifer Walters, Gwen Stacy, Wanda Maximoff = PERFECTION!

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    Since Emma was Colossus’ replacement, I only see fitting that Colossus was originally the one to have the affair with Cyclops. That’s how I choose to see it and I refuse to see otherwise.
    god tier headcanon

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

Storm and Cyclops would have been more interesting because Jean loves Storm, the other X-Men love Storm and Storm wouldn't sob into Wolverine's arms.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I remember Whedon wanting Storm on his Astonishing team (Nightcrawler too) way back in an interview here or another site, but Claremont and Davis got dibs.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    [snip] Because in the end, the story was supposed to be centered on Jean. I think Emma offered less to it than Ororo would have - even if I love Emma as a character.
    Wow. I knee-jerk against the idea (Storm + Cyclops), in general, but I can see, through your suggestions, how it could be palatable, even powerful, as a story, if written well.

I'm not sure I would trust that it *would* be written well, because, well, look what we got. A super-trashy depiction of Emma, that it took other writers to redeem later, and Storm shacking up with Wolverine? Ugh.

And did I read right later in this thread that Storm and Nightcrawler could have been in Whedon's Astonishing run? Gah. Now I want multiverse theory to be true, so I can someday visit the AU where that happened and I can read those books...

(Yes, the most shallow possible use of that technology. Sue me.)

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

On the one hand...it would have been interesting to see what Morrison could do with Storm (I don't believe he would have involved Storm with Scott in an affair that would have ruined her character as opposed to how it "uplifted" Emma's) But...his run, while it had some absolutely great character moments and very interesting story high-points, ended very Meh-ly. With the only note-worthy consequence going forward being Scott and Emma having an actual relationship, with Jean's blessing. So I don't think it would have necessarily "benefited" Storm. Other than her being more constantly visual in the readership's eyes.

On the other foot...at the same time, Claremont got Storm for his XXM...and while we got some great character moments his stories were pretty safe and generic, even by Claremont's standards. He did nothing to push the x-envelope (as Morrison did). And as such XXM ended up being a footnote for all the characters involved. Other than the oft-forgotten X-SE potential, nothing about that run really stands out as important enough for future stories. So...Coming out of it Storm didn't "benefit" there either. She lost a great amount of visibility.

She would have definitely scored higher value under Whedon but by then Emma had already rose in prominence and interest and while Claremont was doing his boring same ol'-same ol' over in UXM...Whedon was killing it on the hottest X-book of the early 2000's.

Storm not being a part of NXM and AXM really downgraded her stock value at the time to the point where when the next major X-shift came with the Utopia era...she just didn't factor in.

I know it sounds as though I'm blaming Claremont but yes...I'm blaming Claremont.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 05-28-2020 at 06:19 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    It goes well back to interviews on the internet which have been scrubbed. Back to 2004. Morrison's intent was always to break Scott and Jean. Emma was never part of that original plan as she was added later.
    It's kind of hard to back the claims without the interviews to support it.

I've never seen this brought up except here, where Morrison's run isn't very popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    On the one hand...it would have been interesting to see what Morrison could do with Storm (I don't believe he would have involved Storm with Scott in an affair that would have ruined her character as opposed to how it "uplifted" Emma's) But...his run, while it had some absolutely great character moments and very interesting story high-points, ended very Meh-ly. With the only note-worthy consequence going forward being Scott and Emma having an actual relationship, with Jean's blessing. So I don't think it would have necessarily "benefited" Storm. Other than her being more constantly visual in the readership's eyes.

On the other foot...at the same time, Claremont got Storm for his XXM...and while we got some great character moments his stories were pretty safe and generic, even by Claremont's standards. He did nothing to push the x-envelope (as Morrison did). And as such XXM ended up being a footnote for all the characters involved. Other than the oft-forgotten X-SE potential, nothing about that run really stands out as important enough for future stories. So...Coming out of it Storm didn't "benefit" there either. She lost a great amount of visibility.

She would have definitely scored higher value under Whedon but by then Emma had already rose in prominence and interest and while Claremont was doing his boring same ol'-same ol' over in UXM...Whedon was killing it on the hottest X-book of the early 2000's.

Storm not being a part of NXM and AXM really downgraded her stock value at the time to the point where when the next major X-shift came with the Utopia era...she just didn't factor in.

I know it sounds as though I'm blaming Claremont but yes...I'm blaming Claremont.
    I totally agree with this whole post. She was also nowhere to be found in the other envelope pushing runs of the 2000s/2010s (X-Force, Uncanny X-Force, Bendis' Uncanny.) The character has really been done a disservice.

I’m glad CC saved our goddess. Ro would never do that to Jeannie.

I do remember he had some horrific plans for Rogue too. CC saved two of his favorites really.

Quote Originally Posted by Bgred37 View Post
    I’m glad CC saved our goddess. Ro would never do that to Jeannie.

I do remember he had some horrific plans for Rogue too. CC saved two of his favorites really.
    Seriously. I don't know why people cream over Morrison's Storm in that one issue she was featured in. There was nothing omigodamazing about her depiction. It was your standard Storm. Certainly nothing worth raving about. And Claremint isn't to blame for Storm's lack of relevance. He's been gone since 2006. The X office had no problem dumping her into the BP office and used that as an excuse not to use her. Even when she came back they still didn't do anything with her. He'll, even today Duggan is using the excuse that she is being used else where as justification for her reduced nothing role in Marauders. Same excuses, different decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    It was your standard Storm. Certainly nothing worth raving about.
    My favorite bit from that issue was her coldness to Xavier. Coldness is missing from a lot of Claremont's earlier work, and kind of aggregated by Emma Frost in the last few decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    Seriously. I don't know why people cream over Morrison's Storm in that one issue she was featured in. There was nothing omigodamazing about her depiction. It was your standard Storm. Certainly nothing worth raving about. And Claremint isn't to blame for Storm's lack of relevance. He's been gone since 2006. The X office had no problem dumping her into the BP office and used that as an excuse not to use her. Even when she came back they still didn't do anything with her. He'll, even today Duggan is using the excuse that she is being used else where as justification for her reduced nothing role in Marauders. Same excuses, different decade.
    I've never seen anyone "cream" over it, just that it was well executed for the small role she had and maybe an indication that he could have done right by her if she had a bigger role.

Especially as this supposed quote about her being the original "other woman" has yet to be produced, unlike his discarded plans for Rogue which we DO have documentation of.