Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What If: Storm was in New X-Men by Grant Morrison?

I started rereading Grant Morrison's New X-Men and I've been wondering what role Storm could have played if she was part of the main cast. A lot of the changes made in this run stuck around for the rest of the 2000s (Scemma, feline Beast, etc.), so I thought it'd be fun to think about where Storm would have ended up had she been included.

She would have had the affair with Cyclops instead of Emma. It was the original plan before Claremont called dibs

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    She would have had the affair with Cyclops instead of Emma. It was the original plan before Claremont called dibs
    PHEW!! Dodged a Bullet there

How... does that even work? At least Emma had a troubled history with Jean so she wouldn't be too worried about her feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    How... does that even work? At least Emma had a troubled history with Jean so she wouldn't be too worried about her feelings.
    Scott and Storm would grow closer bc he wasnt connecting with Jean. They would start developing feelings for each other and their affair would have been physical rather than the psychic one he had with Emma

Not a fan of Cyclops cheating on Jean with Storm.

BBBUUUUUTTTT...I like the idea of Storm and Cyclops being co-headmasters of Xavier's School.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Scott and Storm would grow closer bc he wasnt connecting with Jean. They would start developing feelings for each other and their affair would have been physical rather than the psychic one he had with Emma
    I also am 99.99% sure Strom's approach to Scott would not have been with the intention of starting an affair. She would likely have been intending to help the two of them out by using her own experiences with the Shadow King to help Scott come to terms with his case of Poccy possession.

In the end, that would have made how things turned out more tragic - not for things to have happened with some catty person who was looking for any way to get under Jean's skin (and the only redeeming thing about the affair in my eyes is that Emma actually fell in love with Scott despite her original intentions) but to have happened with her best friend who was actually trying to help save their marriage until mutual feelings went out of control.

How it could have worked out in the end would be based solely on how well the story was told. I personally would have removed ANY ambiguity about whether or not Jean's attempt with Logan was witnessed. The answer would have been YES, it was seen by both Scott and Ororo - but Logan's rejection was not. I would want to make sure blame for thing falling apart lands on everyone more or less equally - and some dialogue with each of the principle characters coming to terms with their faults about how things end up is a must.

And finally, Jean's death, unless portrayed as her evolving past humanity, would have cast a bad light on everything as well (as the story we got did). This is again my own opinion based on some hindsight, but a clear case of Jean effectively fading out because she has become something else, rather than an actual death, I think would have been so much better. A final (mortal) line about how Scott and Ororo are the two people she loves most in this world, and wanting them to take care of each other - before her body dissolves into light (or some other effect that makes clear she isn't dead, just something else).

Because in the end, the story was supposed to be centered on Jean. I think Emma offered less to it than Ororo would have - even if I love Emma as a character.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Emma was never originally in the book until Morrison got it suggested by a fan as he had Storm, Moira and Colossus and nuRogue taken off his cast.

The affair was never meant to be out of malice. It was meant to be about two people growing apart. And two people finding love (forbidden) with one another.

Yeah... that worked much better with Emma than it would have with Ororo. For sure. Glad Claremont took Storm in that case.

Emma was never originally in the book until Morrison got it suggested by a fan as he had Storm, Moira and Colossus and nuRogue taken off his cast.

The affair was never meant to be out of malice. It was meant to be about two people growing apart. And two people finding love (forbidden) with one another.
    Sure, but it's totally different to hook-up with a married man whose wife you don't f with than to hook-up with your best friends husband. I just could never imagine Ororo doing that to Jean considering her most significant relationships have been friendships with other female characters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    PHEW!! Dodged a Bullet there
    Dodged a huge bullet!

Although there is a ton of panel time that comes with the "leader's girlfriend" role. Lots of "as you wish" and "Cyclops has a plan", but plenty of panel time.

That would have been extremely uninteresting.

Husband has affair with best friend who is also friends with his wife. It's still the soap opera Morrison wanted

That affair would have ruined Storm as a character bc people would still be holding it against her 20 years later to this day

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    That affair would have ruined Storm as a character bc people would still be holding it against her 20 years later to this day
    it sure would have. that's not even in her DNA to be trashy as such. emma made more sense.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!