Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Amazing Member Matches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    79

    Default Looking to buy this giant Batman comic run, not sure what to offer

    Could not find anywhere else to get help


    A guy at a ship has Batman 560-713. Issues appear real nice and he is selling. he said make me an offer and really not sure what to say. I mean a few of the comic runs in this lot are highly prized.


    I looked around online found a few similar that were 450-500

    What do you think, he needs money and really want to unload some stuff

  2. #2
    Mighty Member LordMikel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,635

    Default

    That is 153 comics. At 2.99 each, that is 457.47 total. Not every one of the issues was a 2.99 cover price, but close enough.

    I'm not looking at every issue, but I do see that the Jim Lee run on Batman is here. In my opinion, when I worked at a comic store, comics with a preferred artist were high priced in the guide, but in low demand and difficult to sell.
    I see Bruce Wayne Murderer. No Man's Land.

    Odds are good, your local comic store bought these off of someone and got them fairly cheap. That would be a reason to group them altogether like this.

    So you could offer $400, which would be a great sale for the day. I doubt the store would go lower than that.
    You could offer $500. If you can afford it, are thinking $400 is too low, and really want to help your comic store. I think the value of buying them is still a good discount.

    $600. This is when you will need to start looking at, if I bought each issue, what would it cost me? Is $600 still a good price? Once you've done all of that work, then you can decide how high is truly worthwhile. Go to e-bay, look up each comic, do an excel spreadsheet and tally it up. You don't want to offer that much, in fact you don't want to offer within 20% of that price. So if it summed to $1000, then don't offer over $800.

    I hope this helps and is simply my own personal opinion.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

    Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

  3. #3
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    880

    Default

    My opinion, would be the true worth, would be if the lot deal includes the issues that has Harley Quinn, which would mostly be around the No Man's Land and Hush issues. One thing I've long learned, that based on Harley Quinn being in it alone, that issue would be worth quite a few times more than the non-Harley Quinn issues around it.

    Never hurts to ask dealer to inspect the lot if it includes the Harley Quinn issues - which according to Comic Vine, Batman #570, #573 - 574, #613 - 614, and the semi-prose story of #663.
    Last edited by ngroove; 05-22-2020 at 06:03 PM.

  4. #4
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    That is 153 comics. At 2.99 each, that is 457.47 total. Not every one of the issues was a 2.99 cover price, but close enough.

    I'm not looking at every issue, but I do see that the Jim Lee run on Batman is here. In my opinion, when I worked at a comic store, comics with a preferred artist were high priced in the guide, but in low demand and difficult to sell.
    I see Bruce Wayne Murderer. No Man's Land.

    Odds are good, your local comic store bought these off of someone and got them fairly cheap. That would be a reason to group them altogether like this.

    So you could offer $400, which would be a great sale for the day. I doubt the store would go lower than that.
    You could offer $500. If you can afford it, are thinking $400 is too low, and really want to help your comic store. I think the value of buying them is still a good discount.

    $600. This is when you will need to start looking at, if I bought each issue, what would it cost me? Is $600 still a good price? Once you've done all of that work, then you can decide how high is truly worthwhile. Go to e-bay, look up each comic, do an excel spreadsheet and tally it up. You don't want to offer that much, in fact you don't want to offer within 20% of that price. So if it summed to $1000, then don't offer over $800.

    I hope this helps and is simply my own personal opinion.
    Many modern era comics, from an age when the big companies flooded and inflated them in prints, today could be commonly found in dollar bins, rather than $2.99.

    The only exceptions, the "prized issues", would probably only be Hush, for the Jim Lee illustrations, and Harley Quinn issues.

    Everything else, common dollar bin fillers.
    Last edited by ngroove; 05-22-2020 at 05:57 PM.

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member Nick Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,810

    Default

    Why would you pay cover price? I assume these are used?

    And OP, who exactly is selling these? The retailer or some guy you know?

    Offer 150. And negotiate from there.

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    SouthEast Tennessee
    Posts
    2,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Why would you pay cover price? I assume these are used?

    And OP, who exactly is selling these? The retailer or some guy you know?

    Offer 150. And negotiate from there.
    Having seen a lot of those issues at a local used book store, not a comic shop, for prices between fifty cents to 2.95, I was going to suggest an offer of $200, but yeah 150 might be a good place to start.

  7. #7
    Mighty Member jb681131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Could not find anywhere else to get help


    A guy at a ship has Batman 560-713. Issues appear real nice and he is selling. he said make me an offer and really not sure what to say. I mean a few of the comic runs in this lot are highly prized.


    I looked around online found a few similar that were 450-500

    What do you think, he needs money and really want to unload some stuff
    Well, all these issues are available in trades and in omnibus for a lot.
    Some parts are from crossovers, so you'll have some stories only partially.

    So you have 713-560 => 153 issues - let's look at 2nd hand prices for each stories (from Amazone)
    30$ (1 NML tpb) - #560-574 = partial No Man's Land
    30$ (1 NG + 1 WG) - #576-607 = partial New Gotham / War games / Bruce Wayne Murderer & Fugitive
    12$ - #608-619 = Hush
    07$ - #620-625 = Broken City
    28$ - #626-630 = As Crow Flies
    25$ - #635-640 = Under the Red Hood
    20$ (full story) - #651-654 = partial Face the Face
    10$ - #655-658 + 664-666 = Batman & Son
    07$ - #659-662 = Grotesk
    25$ (full story) - #670-671 = partial Resurection of Ra's Al Ghul
    10$ - #667-669 + #672-675 = The Black Glove
    10$ - #676-685 = R.I.P.
    12$ (full story) - #686 = partial Wathever Happened to the Cape Crusader ?
    20$ - #687-691 = Long Shadow
    20$ - #692-699 = Life After Death
    15$ - #700-703 = Time and the Batman
    15$ - #704-712 = Eye of the Beholder
    12$ - #713 = Storybook Ending
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    = 308$ total

    So in all you can ask 300$ easy !

    But honestly at that price I would buy the tpb, much simpler to read and store.
    Also you would have the full crossovers and have covers for each stories.
    Last edited by jb681131; 05-28-2020 at 01:27 AM.

  8. #8
    Amazing Member Matches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Thanks for the work!


    I am a floppy guy, no if's and's but's about it!!


    I got them, $300. The key issues are close to NRMT, 666 VF but I am real happy. 10-12 extra comics including annuals, secret files, Giants....

    They now have the Detective run I want, #'s 760-881.

  9. #9
    Mighty Member jb681131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,219

    Default

    Well let's do the same work with the Detective Comics issues:

    With those issues, you don't have:
    No Man's Land - #722-741
    New Gotham - #742-765
    Streets of Gotham - to conclude Paul Dini's run

    20$ (full tpb) - #760-765 - end of New Gotham
    20$ (full tpb) - #766-775 - partial Bruce Wayne Merderer & Fugitive
    05$ - #776, 783 - Batman by Paul Bolle
    07$ (per issue) - #777-782 - Dead Reckoning
    ??$ - #784-786 - Made of Wood
    30$ (full tpb) - #790-799, 809-810 - partial War Games
    28$ - #800-808, 811-814 - City of Crime
    14$ (full tpb) - #815-816 - partial Batman Arkham: Victor Zsasz
    20$ (full tpb) - #817-820 - partial Batman/Two-Face: Face the Face
    20$ - #821-826 - Detective (Paul Dini)
    20$ - #827-834 - Death and the City (Paul Dini)
    20$ - #840-845 - Private Casebook (Paul Dini)
    20$ - #846-850 - Heart of Hush (Paul Dini)
    12$ - #853 - partial Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?
    15$ - #854-863 - Batwoman: Elegy
    10$ - #864-865 - Beneath the Mask
    06$ - #866 - Special issue
    14$ - #867-870 - Impostors
    17$ - #871-881 - The Black Mirror
    ----------------------------------------------------
    = around 340$

    With also as Back-ups:

    #763-772, 784 - Josie Mac
    #776-780 - Spore
    #785-788 - Dog-Catcher
    #789-794 - The Tailor
    #795-796 - Polished Stone
    #797-799 - Low
    #800 - In the Dark
    #801-804 - When You're Strange
    #805 - Batman vs Clayface
    #806-807 - Regnum Defende
    #808-810 - The Beast Beneath
    #854-865 - The Question: Pipeline
    -------------------------------------------
    = around 30-40$

  10. #10
    Amazing Member Matches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Well let's do the same work with the Detective Comics issues:

    With those issues, you don't have:
    No Man's Land - #722-741
    New Gotham - #742-765
    Streets of Gotham - to conclude Paul Dini's run

    20$ (full tpb) - #760-765 - end of New Gotham
    20$ (full tpb) - #766-775 - partial Bruce Wayne Merderer & Fugitive
    05$ - #776, 783 - Batman by Paul Bolle
    07$ (per issue) - #777-782 - Dead Reckoning
    ??$ - #784-786 - Made of Wood
    30$ (full tpb) - #790-799, 809-810 - partial War Games
    28$ - #800-808, 811-814 - City of Crime
    14$ (full tpb) - #815-816 - partial Batman Arkham: Victor Zsasz
    20$ (full tpb) - #817-820 - partial Batman/Two-Face: Face the Face
    20$ - #821-826 - Detective (Paul Dini)
    20$ - #827-834 - Death and the City (Paul Dini)
    20$ - #840-845 - Private Casebook (Paul Dini)
    20$ - #846-850 - Heart of Hush (Paul Dini)
    12$ - #853 - partial Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?
    15$ - #854-863 - Batwoman: Elegy
    10$ - #864-865 - Beneath the Mask
    06$ - #866 - Special issue
    14$ - #867-870 - Impostors
    17$ - #871-881 - The Black Mirror
    ----------------------------------------------------
    = around 340$

    With also as Back-ups:

    #763-772, 784 - Josie Mac
    #776-780 - Spore
    #785-788 - Dog-Catcher
    #789-794 - The Tailor
    #795-796 - Polished Stone
    #797-799 - Low
    #800 - In the Dark
    #801-804 - When You're Strange
    #805 - Batman vs Clayface
    #806-807 - Regnum Defende
    #808-810 - The Beast Beneath
    #854-865 - The Question: Pipeline
    -------------------------------------------
    = around 30-40$


    Grabbed Streets of Gotham run for 22 bucks

    I AM NOT into comics for prices, just nostalgia, reading holding, love floppies!


    Cannot believe the price of issue 880, do you think it comes down sooner rather than later? I was thinking of asking the price of the run without this issue

    If he is asking anywhere around 275 for the full run I will probably take it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •