Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Suicide Squad #5 Discussion/Spoilers

This chapter offered some revelations and I still don't know what to think of them.

Tom Taylor continues his story about the old members of the Squad trying to work alongside with the new ones for the sake of everyone. The first half concerning the hunt for Boomerang is solidly handled with good action and character moments here and there, at first I thought that Taylor was still giving his recently-created characters the spotlight once again but then BAM! Deadshot actually gets a good moment as well.

Then the big surprise comes towards the end when we see Lok's actual boss and this is... shocking. The thing is that while is indeed a typical Taylor shock value moment, it makes you scratch your head once you start thinking about it since after all, this is one of the purest superheroes there is, a hero who prefered to die before being corrupted in the previous continuity and thus, makes me think that this is another instance of Taylor not understanding a character.

Bruno Redondo's artwork continues to impress with beautiful and expressive characters along with strong action scenes.

Mixed thoughts, not sure if I'm into what's happening next.

Default Suicide Squad #5 Spoilers/Discussion

I honestly wasn’t sure about writing this but I just had to get this off my chest. This was a big issue with a pretty big surprise, probably the most shocking one I’ve seen in a while, and sets up a story that I genuinely want to follow along for what will happen next. In fact I will say this, I’m gonna put this entire thing in a spoiler box and ask that you don’t read the spoilers, I want you to read the issue and then come back. People should read this cold. All I will say is that from now on I don’t think this should be a series to ignore, that there is some story to be told.

Edit: Mod’s someone beat me to it, please remove this thread or something so not to confuse people.

spoilers:
    Alright so surprisingly after the end of last issue the team catches Captain Boomerang without a lot of problems. Jog gets burnt but that’s it, but it’s what happens after that when things take a turn.

Boomerang is brought to Lok and Lok orders Deadshot to kill him. He wants to set an example of what happens when you out the Suicide Squad or mess with the mission. It’s honestly very tense, when the revolutionaries and the squad pull off the unthinkable....they take down Lok’s forcefield and kill him along with his guards. They secure their freedom though Jog ends up dying.

It’s then that the biggest shock of all happens, they call the new person in charge of the Suicide Squad. Who is on the line is none other then Ted Kord, the Blue Beetle. I repeat, the person who is now controlling the Suicide Squad behind the scenes since issue 1, the big shadowy figure who is controlling Lok, turns out to be Ted Kord of the Justice League. I don’t know what this means honestly, it’s a bit shocking to see Ted Kord in the situation and I’m not sure what else there is to this story. No idea what to make of a character I like and read about in what looks like a shady situation sending out criminals with bombs in their necks.

But the issue doesn’t give us any answers, all we know is the Suicide Squad is free, on the run, and coming for Ted Kord.

Normally I think something like this would upset people, and I’m sure that people are already upset with the idea that Ted Kord could possibly be the villain. However for me if this wasn’t Tom Taylor I would write this off. However I feel like Taylor has some bigger story that he just hasn’t told us yet. I mean, how could Ted Kord of all people take control of Task Force X from Amanda Waller and the government, and then as of next issue send Batman after them. I think there is something else at play and we need to stay patient for what is next. Either way I’m invested.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by sifighter; 05-26-2020 at 03:59 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Oh crud...I guess I’m a slow writer. Sorry about that and anyone looking to talk about this issue should do this here.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

If I had anything to say towards the surprise hero appearance at the end, I think Taylor likely has a bigger plan then what we are seeing. I mean we are talking about Task Force X which was run by the United States government and Amanda Waller, so the fact that this particular hero is somehow in charge of it makes me think there is more to this then we know.
    Words to live by.

Well if he was in charge of Lok the whole time, he shares blame for all those deaths. I don’t see that getting wiped clean (without a DC reboot).

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Well if he was in charge of Lok the whole time, he shares blame for all those deaths. I don’t see that getting wiped clean (without a DC reboot).
    I mean if it’s exactly as it looks, then yes he is very much culpable in the deaths of various members (not king shark, that was revenge). Again, I feel as though something is off with this character being involved.
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

I'll admit when I saw who it was, I thought "hold on isnt that ...?" and for a split second thought I'd got my characters/identities mixed up.

What I have learnt over the years however is to wait till the story plays out before any judgments/ assumptions are made. Sometimes writers are able to stick to landing...

Interest definitely piqued though.

I suspect theres some scooby doo bullshit coming up

Here's my crazy theory: It's the Dark Multiverse Ted from the Infinite Crisis oneshot having stolen the Prime Ted's identity.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Here's my crazy theory: It's the Dark Multiverse Ted from the Infinite Crisis oneshot having stolen the Prime Ted's identity.
    That makes sense. Was that the last time we've seen Ted? I can't recall.
    PLEASE READ CLOAK & DAGGER IN SAVAGE AVENGERS!
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. Marvel: Savage Avengers, She Hulk. Dynamite: Vampirella.
    Support Indie Comics: Coffin Comics, Lion Forge, and so much more!!!
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    An issue of Batman/Superman when he learns that Jaime Reyes was infected by Batman who laughs.
    Words to live by.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    He appeared in this week's issue of The Terrifics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    I really hope not. I don’t want to see even more Dark Multiverse stuff start leaking into the main DC earth. Already so freaking tired of The Batman Who Laughs and the Dark versions of heroes. I’m fine with it as a stand alone comic as it’s kind of like DC’s “What If”.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I haven't enjoyed a Suicide Squad book in years. This book has changed that. This has been a lot of fun and I love that cliffhanger, even though I hope it's a fakeout.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

I hope it is some kind of fake out or twist.

I know DC loves their 'heroes get corrupted' stories but it would be nice for them to spare another hero that old trope again.

Lok was a dumb ass to keep pushing a bunch of violent killers buttons. Lok pulled a Snoke.