Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I suspect theres some scooby doo bullshit coming up
    This made me chuckle. Especially as I read this in Sam' Jackson's voice...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    This made me chuckle. Especially as I read this in Sam' Jackson's voice...
    *Pulls off Ted Kord mask*

"DAN DIDIO!"

"I'd of gotten away with it too if it wasnt for you meddling D listers !"

Another good issue from Taylor honestly I was waiting for the other shoe to drop and see the series take a turn for the worse but the new characters are surprisingly well written and bring a lot of tragedy towards them being the redshirts of the series.
    I mean Harley Boomer and Floyd are not dying. They can get hurt and be out of commission for a few missions but over the last 9 years none of the times these characters have died have stuck.

As far as Ted Kord being the secret big bad controlling the Squad and responsible for all the deaths so far. Well that's why you want a character like Lok or Waller in charge they are morally just in their missions but can survive the mud that gets thrown onto their characters. Ted cannot survive something like that with the same goofy gimmick.
    I'll wait for the twist

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Another good issue from Taylor honestly I was waiting for the other shoe to drop and see the series take a turn for the worse but the new characters are surprisingly well written and bring a lot of tragedy towards them being the redshirts of the series.
    I mean Harley Boomer and Floyd are not dying. They can get hurt and be out of commission for a few missions but over the last 9 years none of the times these characters have died have stuck.

As far as Ted Kord being the secret big bad controlling the Squad and responsible for all the deaths so far. Well that's why you want a character like Lok or Waller in charge they are morally just in their missions but can survive the mud that gets thrown onto their characters. Ted cannot survive something like that with the same goofy gimmick.
    I'll wait for the twist
    For some reason you made me think of a funny scene where Ted takes off a mask and Waller is underneath. Lol
    PLEASE READ CLOAK & DAGGER IN SAVAGE AVENGERS!
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. Marvel: Savage Avengers, She Hulk. Dynamite: Vampirella.
    Support Indie Comics: Coffin Comics, Lion Forge, and so much more!!!
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I haven't enjoyed a Suicide Squad book in years. This book has changed that. This has been a lot of fun and I love that cliffhanger, even though I hope it's a fakeout.
    I could have written this myself--word for word. Thanks for saving me the time!

I hope I'm dead wrong, but I'm very, VERY afraid that there's absolutely no larger conspiracy behind the Ted Kord of Tom Taylor's Suicide Squad being completely out of character in his first appearance in the book. I must admit that I know very little about the author's work before the Squad's relaunch (the Injustice franchise holds zero appeal to me and I read only the first two issues of DCeased before total disinterest settled in) but the undertones of these past five issues make me unable to shake the feeling that villainizing Mr. Kord was seen as A-OK by the writer and editor (if those are still a thing) because of factors like his skin color, his age and the amount of money in his bank accounts. Again, I hope I'm wrong and that this apparent character assassination is actually the prelude to an exciting mystery being unraveled-- because the alternative would be an implicit declaration that it's now become fair game to throw consolidated characterizations in the scrap heap for the sake of heavy-handed political commentary.

Anyway, leaving that aside, I think I've finally understood the huge issue that is preventing me from actually liking this comic:

All of the new characters introduced in Suicide Squad #1 as the Revolutionaries have been awfully one-note in each issue. Here and there you might find some hints that there could be more bubbling under the surface, but nothing ever really develops in an interesting way, as if the writer is convinced that there's no need to do anything to make his original creations appealing.

Even if they were all one-note it wouldn't be a huge problem early in the story, as their lack of depth doesn't prevent their personalities, despite not being multi-faceted, from creating interactions with the rest of the cast. You don't need a deep character early, but at least make it fun to watch them interact with others-- and none of Revolutionaries quite achieves that. And filling the cast with so many single-minded or one-note characters while also failing to give their interactions anything meaningful, compelling or fun IS a big issue for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    I hope I'm dead wrong, but I'm very, VERY afraid that there's absolutely no larger conspiracy behind the Ted Kord of Tom Taylor's Suicide Squad being completely out of character in his first appearance in the book. I must admit that I know very little about the author's work before the Squad's relaunch (the Injustice franchise holds zero appeal to me and I read only the first two issues of DCeased before total disinterest settled in) but the undertones of these past five issues make me unable to shake the feeling that villainizing Mr. Kord was seen as A-OK by the writer and editor (if those are still a thing) because of factors like his skin color, his age and the amount of money in his bank accounts. Again, I hope I'm wrong and that this apparent character assassination is actually the prelude to an exciting mystery being unraveled-- because the alternative would be an implicit declaration that it's now become fair game to throw consolidated characterizations in the scrap heap for the sake of heavy-handed political commentary.

Anyway, leaving that aside, I think I've finally understood the huge issue that is preventing me from actually liking this comic:

All of the new characters introduced in Suicide Squad #1 as the Revolutionaries have been awfully one-note in each issue. Here and there you might find some hints that there could be more bubbling under the surface, but nothing ever really develops in an interesting way, as if the writer is convinced that there's no need to do anything to make his original creations appealing.

Even if they were all one-note it wouldn't be a huge problem early in the story, as their lack of depth doesn't prevent their personalities, despite not being multi-faceted, from creating interactions with the rest of the cast. You don't need a deep character early, but at least make it fun to watch them interact with others-- and none of Revolutionaries quite achieves that. And filling the cast with so many single-minded or one-note characters while also failing to give their interactions anything meaningful, compelling or fun IS a big issue for me.
    Are you saying Ted Kord could be made a villain because of reverse racism and anti-capitalism views of the writer?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Are you saying Ted Kord could be made a villain because of reverse racism and anti-capitalism views of the writer?!?
    Lol no, of course! I'm not a red-pilled Youtube reviewer who sees woke "ideology" lurking behind every corner.

The way I see it, ever since the industry started its downward spiral in terms of actual sales, marketing has dictated the content of the vast majority of comic books. The personal ideas of the author are unimportant in the end, the only crucial thing is getting people's attention and these people are both new, potential (and I cannot stress that "potential" enough) readers and old fans. Now, by apparently villainizing Blue Beetle you hit two birds with one stone: the old fans are suddenly interested because they want to know why a beloved hero is now acting so OOC while the Twitterati suddenly have a reason to care about your book (and therefore spread the word) since it features a group of plucky underdogs (plus Harley Quinn, which never hurts) trying to take The Man down.

In my humble opinion, I think this kind of marketing strategy is an insult to the very essence of serialized comics and that it leaves only ruins in its wake, but that's the way things are done nowadays so perhaps this is the new normal.

My memory may be faulty but didn't Everyman impersonate Ted awhile back? Easy way to back out of this once it implodes.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    My memory may be faulty but didn't Everyman impersonate Ted awhile back? Easy way to back out of this once it implodes.
    In Andreyko's Manhunter, during the trial of Wonder Woman story.

Incredible Member

"Ted Kord" = Max Lord. Just my guess. He's got history with trying to control governmental agencies for his own agenda (Checkmate). And he might harbor an irrational grudge against Ted, so impersonating him to smear his rep is a logical possibility.

Yeah I wouldn’t worry about anything happening to Ted because it’s pretty clear DC is done with Jaime Reyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Yeah I wouldn’t worry about anything happening to Ted because it’s pretty clear DC is done with Jaime Reyes.
    your not giving enough credit, they'll hollowly drag out Jaime every once in a while to make a cameo or a quick supporting role. is representation, yes?
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    your not giving enough credit, they'll hollowly drag out Jaime every once in a while to make a cameo or a quick supporting role. is representation, yes?
    Nah, they don’t need him anymore. They can just have Jessica Cruz float behind the other Lanterns and point to that as diversity. Jaime will take his spot next to Vibe, Bunker, and El Diablo on the shelf.

I think Ted is pretty safe. He appeared in around 4 different books in the past month. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was Max Lord who is behind this. The Wonder Woman movie was supposed to be coming out (then of course COVID changed all that) so DC was probably planning to feature Max a lot more as a way to build up his role in the flick.
    Last edited by Robotman; 06-05-2020 at 08:32 PM.

I don’t think Jaime is forgotten, I think he’s just unavailable after what’s going on with Death Metal and Batman who laughs much like Shazam and Supergirl. I believe we will definitely see more of Jaime when all that is sorted out.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.