Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I think if there's one thingf you need to change about Suicide Squad, it's not the Joker. It's not the Enchantress. It's not the level of threat.

It's the music. The movie seemed to want to copy Guardians of the Galaxy and include a lot of popular songs, but they Guardians had a particular theme that tied into it's main character and gave the movie some identity. Squad just played whatever sounded nice without any thought to it.

I say... let's not get greedy here. The Snyder Cut is an absolute coup. Let's not start thinking this is gonna happen every day. We've got enough jerks out there calling us "entitled" already just for asking for the Snyder Cut for so long. We don't need to do it all over again with double the losing-face if we fail.

I mean I maintain that using the word "entitled" when you mean "a false sense of entitlement" is the result of conservative propaganda but that's what people say these days so
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I say... let's not get greedy here. The Snyder Cut is an absolute coup. Let's not start thinking this is gonna happen every day. We've got enough jerks out there calling us "entitled" already just for asking for the Snyder Cut for so long. We don't need to do it all over again with double the losing-face if we fail.

I mean I maintain that using the word "entitled" when you mean "a false sense of entitlement" is the result of conservative propaganda but that's what people say these days so

I think we CAN get greedy -- because it seems Warners and HBOMax are ALSO getting greedy and having discussions about the Ayer cut. I'd chalk it up as a rumor at this point, but it seems like a no-brainer that this is gonna happen.

https://www.cbr.com/warner-bros-disc...r-cut-hbo-max/

Astonishing Member

Ostrander Suicide Squad #1-2 really had the perfect opening arc adventure. The Squad being recruited to deal with a villain terrorist group more evil them themselves, who for political purposes they can't send the Justice League after. I get that the Jihad isn't the most PC team to carry over into the current day environment but they could change the villains or be modernized. Lots of action, good banter between characters, sleeper agents, betrayals, villains acting like villains.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I think if there's one thingf you need to change about Suicide Squad, it's not the Joker. It's not the Enchantress. It's not the level of threat.

It's the music. The movie seemed to want to copy Guardians of the Galaxy and include a lot of popular songs, but they Guardians had a particular theme that tied into it's main character and gave the movie some identity. Squad just played whatever sounded nice without any thought to it.
    Supposedly in Ayer's cut Enchantress works for Steppenwolf, who was the final boss fight.

WB replaced Ayer with the production company who made the trailers. They should have stuck to doing trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Ostrander Suicide Squad #1-2 really had the perfect opening arc adventure. The Squad being recruited to deal with a villain terrorist group more evil them themselves, who for political purposes they can't send the Justice League after. I get that the Jihad isn't the most PC team to carry over into the current day environment but they could change the villains or be modernized. Lots of action, good banter between characters, sleeper agents, betrayals, villains acting like villains.
    I remember there was a speedster on a team early on in that book - not sure if it was that arc or not - who Boomerang dropped off a cliff. As the speedster fell, Boomer said something like: "If Flash was falling, he'd spin his arms like turbines, generating enough wind to cushion his fall. He'd back up here before I knew it!" Then the guy hit the ground with a dull thud, and Boomer said something like "Well, guess you're just not in Flash's league. Sure as hell weren't in mine." It was a moment that really made Boomerang stand out, and it made Flash look awesome without even being there!

I was hoping that moment would be in Suicide Squad, but it's not, and I don't think that's on the recut version of the film either. Hopefully in James Gunn's movie, the Skwad doesn't fight a world-ending threat.

Not that I'm saying this as an argument against the Ayer Cut, which undoubtedly won't have that moment either, you understand! It's an Ayer Cut neutral thought, just a commentary on the kind of thing I'd like to see in a Suicide Squad movie.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Supposedly in Ayer's cut Enchantress works for Steppenwolf, who was the final boss fight.

WB replaced Ayer with the production company who made the trailers. They should have stuck to doing trailers.
    Thought sounds highly unlikely to me. The story already barely makes sense adding steppenwolf doesnt seem that plausible. But who knows

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Thought sounds highly unlikely to me. The story already barely makes sense adding steppenwolf doesnt seem that plausible. But who knows
    I thought the same until I saw this.

https://www.slashfilm.com/suicide-sq...n-steppenwolf/

Director David Ayer revealed that the original concept for Suicide Squad would have tied the film more heavily into Warner Bros.’ growing DCEU universe, with a reveal that Steppenwolf was controlling Cara Delevigne‘s Enchantress with a Mother Box, one of the mystical objects that fuel the plot of Justice League. The squad would have fought Steppenwolf in the film’s climactic fight scene instead of Incubus (Alain Chanoine). Responding to a question on Twitter about Suicide Squad concept art that showed the Big Bad and his Parademon minions, Ayer wrote:

“This is right. Enchantress was under the control of a mother box and Steppenwolfe [sic] was prepping an invasion with a boom tube. Had to lose that then the JL story arcs evolved.”

The trailer for Suicide Squad was pretty awesome.

From the quote, that doesn't sound like a cut to me at all. That sounds like an early idea they had that they decided not to use. There are a lot of ideas thrown around in the early stages that never even come close to being used in movie.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    For me, I didn't like Ayer's Joker because he decided to portray him as an eccentric gangster with a gimmmick, rather than a psychopath/mass murderer. Leto could have been fine otherwise in terms of his performance.
    I mean, that's basically what Joker is though. Ayer/Leto just had a really dull and unmemorable take on it.

Interesting tweet from David Ayer how the bad reviews of Bvs (released March 2016) and the good reviews of Deadpool (released Feb 2016) forced changes in Suicide Squad to add more comedy elements.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ayer, Twitter
    In response to a follower on Twitter calling the Comic Con trailer for Suicide Squad "the greatest isolated piece of SS content," Ayer explained how the movie's tone was altered afterward. "This trailer nailed the tone and intention of the film I made," Ayer recalled. "Methodical. Layered. Complex, beautiful and sad. After the BVS reviews shell shocked the leadership at the time, and the success of Deadpool - My soulful drama was beaten into a 'comedy'."
    I'm convinced that Warners just hires the dumbest executives they can find -- confirming what I said earlier about meddling in DC's teamup movies to a detrimental degree.

Anyway, I'm looking for an Ayer cut more than ever. I know the mass audience may not have taken to the more serious tone of BvS, but I think that when people watch the Snyder cut on TV in their own homes, they will be okay with a more serious flick. When people go out for the evening to a movie after standing on line waiting to buy a ticket, they want a party. Sitting at home when they can watch something any time they want, I predict they'll be more okay with a more serious tone from Snyder and Ayer.

I would rather see the Ayer cut of Suicide Squad than the Snyder cut of Justice League.

If it means having to see more of Leto’s Joker than hells no!

I've been thinking about this. I don't mind Leto's Joker, but something is missing. And I think I figured out what it is.

Unless the movie is about the Joker, as in he's the main character, the Joker otherwise is judged, or should be judged, by his interaction with Batman.

Not Harley. Batman.

We barely got that in Suicide Squad, cause it wasn't a Batman movie. But somewhere along the line there needed to be a scene with Leto's Joker going toe to toe with Affleck's Batman. But unless something changes, we'll never get that. These movies will not be continued. So Leto's Joker for me will always be in a permanent holding pattern. I feel like he's designed to be in line with what we've seen of Affleck's Batman so far, but...without those two actually interacting, there's no point in seeing more of him. We'll get more of him anyway if/when Ayer makes this cut, but for me that will always be missing.

I don't think a Suicide Squad Cut will be a good idea. The JL Cut should be a one-off.