Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default the earth doesn't deserve superman

You all know that superman fights to protect the earth, he risks losing what little is left of krypton, but the earth has never protected him, at the slightest opportunity they abandon him or attack. I think it's time for a story in which superman decides that another world deserves his protection more.

...that could make for an interesting Elseworld sure.

Astonishing Member

I don't like the idea that Superman is loyal to the Earth. He should be loyal to the concept of the common good and if the Earth was ever the aggressor against some other world I think he'd stand against it. The idea that he's going to back the Earth no matter what paints the picture of a guy with no thinking brain in his head. Just adds to the image of him being empty headed that he's developed in modern times.
    Last edited by The World; 08-12-2020 at 03:07 AM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    I don't like the idea that Superman is loyal to the Earth. He should be loyal to the concept of the common good and if the Earth was ever the aggressor against some other world I think he'd stand against it. The idea that he's going to back the Earth no matter what paints the picture of a guy with no thinking brain in his head. Just adds to the image of him being empty headed that he's developed in modern times.
    Heck! I had this moses type fanfic where superman takes all the metahuman americans to the promised land. He fights bruce wayne and wayne enterprises which has grown into monopoly and basically even the government is just a puppet. This Bruce's parents were killed by a street kid with no money and had powers. Batman biases is taken to the extreme. Its superman fighting against the corrupt businessmen and totalitarian vigilante batman.basically, A reverse darkknight returns. Also spolier, bruce thinks he has president lex under his thump. But, the reality is lex manipulates bruce. Clark always does the right thing. Lex forsees it. But, ultimately clark knows lex is behind everything. But, he decides to take his people away instead of taking on lex. Why? The american people had chosen lex and gave rise to the monopoly that is wayne interprises which had taken away privacy of the common folks and created a totalitarian environment.

Bonus part, We also see clark kicking joker for the pathetic nihilistic mad scum he is. When harley plays the victim and abused girlfriend nonsense. Clark basically shows her the mirror of the psychotic things she did and she was an accomplise of and throws her into jail.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-12-2020 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Yeah, Superman should not be "My adopted planet, right or wrong". As you say, it lends to that image that he is just a defender of the status quo when, as created by Siegel and Schuster, he is anything but that.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member

I don't know. Not to start a politcal debate (especially this year), but if you have Superman preventing an attack on the USA next summer- does his willingness change based on whether he supports whoever wins this November? Dos he say "Well, XXXXX, is President and his party has control of Congress so since i oppose their actions I don't have to save US lives"? If not why is it any harder to see that he will defend Earth because WE don't do anything, indiviuals and groups of humans might do bad stuff but rarely is there an alien grievance that targets a small handful of the guilty and ONLY those people.

If we did deserve him, we wouldn't need him.

To quote Wonder Woman, "It's not about deserve." I fully believe that.

I don't think Superman acts based on whether people "deserve" to be saved either. He's saved Luthor enough times, for example.

Would he oppose humans if they tried to do something wrong, cruel, evil, to others?
    Look, is that even a question? He saves humans from humans like, every damn day. Why wouldn't that extend to an inhuman civilization as well?

Also, if a large scale human organization, like say, an interplanetary military, attacked a defenseless planet, that's a reason to closely examine and possibly to dismantle the systemic sources of the injustice - but not to condemn all of humanity. And that same courtesy should be expanded to both other civilizations - and smaller ones here on Earth. Including, and probably even especially, the US.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Earth might not, but Earthlings do. Always.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    I don't know. Not to start a politcal debate (especially this year), but if you have Superman preventing an attack on the USA next summer- does his willingness change based on whether he supports whoever wins this November? Dos he say "Well, XXXXX, is President and his party has control of Congress so since i oppose their actions I don't have to save US lives"? If not why is it any harder to see that he will defend Earth because WE don't do anything, indiviuals and groups of humans might do bad stuff but rarely is there an alien grievance that targets a small handful of the guilty and ONLY those people.
    I don't think he should ever act like he won't save lives because of who is in power.

But this all raises the issue of whether Superman should cross into real world issues or if he should just fight super villains and make vague speeches about right and wrong.

Once you start down this path, it never ends. Whatever stance he takes on any issue, whatever he does, half the readers will like it and half will accuse the writers of projecting their opinions onto Superman and Superman would never have such an opinion that disagrees with the readers.

Granted, the Golden Age Superman tackled real issues but they were ones that most common people felt the same about.

This is the inevitable result of comics now being for adults and that politics permeates our culture now.

Had this discussion a while ago. What party did the Golden Age Bruce Wayne belong to? Who did Barry Allen vote for in 1976? What were Bruce (or David) Banner's political views? The real answer is that we don't know because everything didn't revolve around politics every day as it does now.

Not really going anywhere with this. Just questioning the wisdom of comics addressing such issues.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    But this all raises the issue of whether Superman should cross into real world issues or if he should just fight super villains
    I think you just boiled down half, maybe even more than half, of what people ever argue about on this board, in one form or another.

BANNED

I am not talking about the human being as an individual, but as a species, who likes it or is not represented by the government. A clear example of what I'm talking about is Superman: Doomed, a comic in which we see how for once it is Superman who needs help, and instead of helping him they kick him off the planet, so that in the end Superman comes back and saves his ass and everything continues as if nothing, for once I would like superman to ask for an explanation, to look around and see a world full of heroes and think that perhaps other worlds need it more.

If General Zod or Jax Ur are any indication and how they abused their environment at least as bad as us, Kryptonians don’t have much of a high horse to stand on. I mean we Americans have a truely shameful prison system, but we don’t banish our criminals to barren dimension for all eternity. Not saying Kal and Kara aren’t awesome people or are in any way responsible for their people’s mistakes, but yeah.

Superman has become a bitter… alien if he starts wondering if the Earthlings deserve to be saved.

Ok, he’s bitter. He should have severed all linkk with people he loves on this Earth, first.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    I am not talking about the human being as an individual, but as a species, who likes it or is not represented by the government. A clear example of what I'm talking about is Superman: Doomed, a comic in which we see how for once it is Superman who needs help, and instead of helping him they kick him off the planet, so that in the end Superman comes back and saves his ass and everything continues as if nothing, for once I would like superman to ask for an explanation, to look around and see a world full of heroes and think that perhaps other worlds need it more.
    You said it yourself, it's not humanity who can turn their back on Superman - it's just governments, militaries, and various organizations. Let's look at it this way, Qurac, as a government, hates Superman, because he once decimated the military they use to threaten and attack others. If they could boot him off the planet, would they? Probably. Does that make a difference regarding how he deals with individual Quaracis in trouble? No.

Why should it be any different if it was the US military?

Now on the other hand, you do make a good point about Superman maybe making his home base on another planet for a change. After all, it's not like Earth isn't in good hands with its abundance of super-heroes. So I could see him doing that, but not out of bitterness or spite.

And obviously, the biggest obstacle to this idea is that Clark Kent lives on Earth, but, well, it wouldn't be the first time that Superman disappeared for months or years and nobody seemed to worry too badly about Clark, so... I'll let it slide.