Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Link or podcast name?
    I think it was Word Balloon: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000474960191

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Link or podcast name?
    It was a Word Balloon from last May, I believe.

Astonishing Member

Last Word Balloon. Waid is open to come back to DC. Wise choice of words, he doesn't say whether he got an offer or anything.
    Last edited by Myskin; 08-14-2020 at 12:27 AM.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Last Word Balloon. Waid is open to come back to DC. Wise choice of words, he doesn't say whether he got an offer or anything.
    It seems pretty clear that Waid will be doing something related to Superman, but he can't spoil whatever announcement DC has planned for, presumably, DC Fandome.

At this point, it's kinda the worst kept secret in comics.

Astonishing Member

I may be in the minority here, but I would be more interested in a Mark Waid Superman run now than 10 or 20 years ago.
    I have always thought that he is a quality writer (with some flaws, but still). But I am especially intrigued by his current position for the Humanoids.
    I would be really curious to see whether he could implement some Humanoids sensibility in his work, even on a visual level.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

I may be in the minority here, but I would be more interested in a Mark Waid Superman run now than 10 or 20 years ago.
    I have always thought that he is a quality writer (with some flaws, but still). But I am especially intrigued by his current position for the Humanoids.
    I would be really curious to see whether he could implement some Humanoids sensibility in his work, even on a visual level.
    I think Waid has gotten better as a writer. He has always been hit and miss, even back when he was one of the industries top writers. And when he hits, he really hits. When he misses, ooof.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    It seems pretty clear that Waid will be doing something related to Superman, but he can't spoil whatever announcement DC has planned for, presumably, DC Fandome.

At this point, it's kinda the worst kept secret in comics.
    I think it’s clear he wants to do something with Superman, but no clue if he actually will anymore. Originally I had figured they would give him a BL book, but now that imprint seems toast. Maybe he’ll get one of the Superman ongoings? I don’t think Bendis is going to be on those for much longer, way DC is cutting stuff left and right.

Astonishing Member

I wouldn't hold my breath though.
    I mean, isn't Todd McFarlane at the dome too? I doubt that he is involved in something DC-related.

I wouldn't hold my breath though.
    I mean, isn't Todd McFarlane at the dome too? I doubt that he is involved in something DC-related.
    Not on the comics side but his toy company makes DC (aka Batman) merchandise.

"Humanoids?" Is that a comic property ?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    "Humanoids?" Is that a comic property ?
    Les Humanoïdes Associés is a European publishing house.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Hu..._Associ%C3%A9s
    The Humanoids is a LA-based publisher which reprints the original Humanoïdes material. But they create original material, too.

Les Humanoïdes Associés was created in 1974 and the works published under its label (created by people like Moebius, Jodorowsky, Druillet) are among the most visionary and influential comic books ever. The visuals of Blade Runner, The Fifth Element, or Netflix's Death Love and Robots were created here first - that is, in The Humanoids' magazine Métal Hurlant (American magazine Heavy Metal is basically the US version of Métal Hurlant).
    Look at this stuff (disclaimer: some illustrations of naked... alien human/beast people, I guess...)
    https://www.google.com/search?q=moeb...w=1440&bih=719
    https://www.google.com/search?q=m%C3...w=1440&bih=719
    https://www.google.com/search?q=phil...h=719&biw=1440
    https://www.google.com/search?q=phil...h=719&biw=1440

Waid was appointed as a publisher of the Humanoids some months ago: https://bleedingcool.com/comics/mark...-of-humanoids/ .
    Last edited by Myskin; 08-15-2020 at 12:11 AM.

Does LA-based Humanoids just have the rights to publish material craete by European Humanoids in USA or are they two branches of one bigger company?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Does LA-based Humanoids just have the rights to publish material craete by European Humanoids in USA or are they two branches of one bigger company?
    From Wikipedia:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Hu..._Associ%C3%A9s

Humanoids Publishing, Inc. ("Humanoids") was founded in the United States in 1999 by Giger, eleven years after his acquisition of the French parent company, with the aim to publish French cult classics as well as recruit American talent. A number of successful French works were published, including Bouncer, Metabarons, Technopriests, The White Lama, The Incal, and others. In 2002, Humanoids began publishing an English-language version of the new Métal Hurlant (not to be confused with the then still running Heavy Metal magazine), which would only last two years.

In January 2004, Humanoids signed an agreement with DC Comics aimed at integrating the Humanoids publications into the DC Comics catalog. This agreement enabled Humanoids to gain greater visibility on the market, while DC Comics obtained the distribution rights for the English-language versions of Humanoids' works.[10] Certain works published since 1998 were reprinted, while new titles were also translated into English (El Niño, Megalex, Basil and Victoria, etc.). However, the books were expensive and success was limited, leading DC Comics to announce the end of the agreement in April 2005.[11]

In 2007, an agreement was signed with Image Comics to publish Lucha Libre in North America. In July 2008, Humanoids began a partnership with Devil's Due to publish new translations of French works.[12] These graphic novels were published in the classic American comic book format in order to not put off American readers.[12] New works were translated, such as The Zombies That Ate The World and I Am Legion.

In 2010, Humanoids cancelled the agreement with Devil's Due and began publishing their own translated works in North America. Following its standard practice, the company chose to publish old translations as well as new European and American works. The post-2010 Humanoids editions are also released on the UK market, with the exception of a few early releases which were licensed to local publishers, such as Titan Books.

The publisher's official website states that "[s]ince 1998 Humanoids has been the only publishing house of European origin with a direct presence in the U.S., and since 2014 the only non-Japanese company publishing its graphic novels directly in Japan, under the brand ユマノイド ("Humanoido")". Reminiscent of the agreement Humanoids had made with DC Comics, recent Japanese-language books are co-released with Japanese publishing house PIE Books International.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think Waid has gotten better as a writer. He has always been hit and miss, even back when he was one of the industries top writers. And when he hits, he really hits. When he misses, ooof.
    That's very much how I feel about Waid. He's done work that i loved and work that I really did not.
    I have read recently he didn't like Clark and Lois being married, which that alone worries me if he takes over the ongoing titles.
    The future is so uncertain right now at DC I don't know what to expect.

Astonishing Member

It will NEVER happen, but now that I think about it, what I'd really like to see from Waid is a book similar to his gorgeously illustrated History of the Marvel Universe, just focused on Superman (similar - but hopefully more detailed - than his Life Story of the Flash). Without "superheroes remembering two different versions of their lives because EVERYTHING COUNTS" or shenanigans like that. Just a good, clear, Superman bible to reconcile most of his history.
    It's not impossible and Waid could successfully do it. It would just need a bit of creative freedom and the possibility of making some choices - at last - about 4-5 crucial points (the Kents, the Legion, etc).