Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    It really comes off annoying that "regular" superhero work is now considered to be beneath the Avengers (by the writers).
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Amen.

Someday Spider-Man or someone needs to drop this to the Avengers.
    Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    M
    It is very true. Basically it is an elitism that you see in The Avengers. That is why you rarely see them interact with average people, and those who do ( like Peter) are treated as comedy relief. The pathetic thing about this is in a fight against most Avengers Peter would win that battle. The exceptions being Thor and Captain Marvel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Regular work being "beneath" the Avengers wasn't a thing prior to the MCU. The effect of the them blowing up in popularity while Spider-Man/X-Men/Fantastic Four were at competing studios, combined the corporate decision to treat the Netflix heroes as living in Universe B, is what lead to all of this.
    Agreeing with all of you, especially Revolutionary_Jack citing the debut episode(s) of Doctor Destiny in Justice League (and even linking the vid here, too) as a case study in why you don't underestimate a so-called "nobody." And yes, Kaitou D. Kid, I'm also disappointed that the more street-level TV series are treated as "MCU-adjacent" at best, seeing as how in a number of cases, they've been able to push their narratives and settings further and develop them and their characters even more, whereas the "MCU proper" is still in some ways just scratching the surface of what the characters, setting, and narrative can be.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Regular work being "beneath" the Avengers wasn't a thing prior to the MCU. The effect of the them blowing up in popularity while Spider-Man/X-Men/Fantastic Four were at competing studios, combined the corporate decision to treat the Netflix heroes as living in Universe B, is what lead to all of this.
    I wouldn't say it's completely the MCU's fault. A lot of it comes from writers deciding that secret identities are passé and the decompression of stories lead to less and less "normal" supporting cast members and the feeling that every story arc had to focus on epic things. There's no reason for superheroes to hangout with people that aren't superheroes anymore and there's no room for small stories.

Fantastic Member primenumber101's Avatar

Honestly, these shorts proves that Peter Parker is not a loser compares to other heroes.

Spider-man short.jpg

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I wouldn't say it's completely the MCU's fault. A lot of it comes from writers deciding that secret identities are passé and the decompression of stories lead to less and less "normal" supporting cast members and the feeling that every story arc had to focus on epic things. There's no reason for superheroes to hangout with people that aren't superheroes anymore and there's no room for small stories.
    Another reason why supporting characters often develop superpowers nowadays.

It really comes off annoying that "regular" superhero work is now considered to be beneath the Avengers (by the writers).
    What writers have said this?

BANNED

"To the rest of the world, I was a loser today. Just a clown in a costume. I should be angry, frustrated, smashing my fists into walls! But...I don't feel that way. I did what I had to do. I know that. And somehow, that's enough. Well, I'll be. Take yourself a bow, Peter Parker. I think you just became an adult."
    — Amazing Spider-Man #297, written by David Michelinie. (1988)

"To the rest of the world, I was a loser today. Just a clown in a costume. I should be angry, frustrated, smashing my fists into walls! But...I don't feel that way. I did what I had to do. I know that. And somehow, that's enough. Well, I'll be. Take yourself a bow, Peter Parker. I think you just became an adult."
    — Amazing Spider-Man #297, written by David Michelinie. (1988)
    Great quote. I should probably read that issue at some point.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Great quote. I should probably read that issue at some point.
    It's a two part story ASM#296-297, a great Dr. Octopus story, a sequel to The Owl/Octopus War.

It's a two part story ASM#296-297, a great Dr. Octopus story, a sequel to The Owl/Octopus War.
    Thanks for the info and recommendation.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    To be fair, secret identities are kinda superfluous for most Marvel heroes. The only ones I can think of that require it (off the top of my head) are Peter Parker, Matt Murdock, Miles Morales, Kamala Khan, and maybe Clint Barton. It is also possible to not have secret identities and to interact with everyday people, like Luke Cage and Jessica Jones do. That is why I think the current caste system in the MU (for lack of a better word) is probably mostly due to the MCU and the corporate politics of the 2010's.

Hopefully now that all Marvel properties are back to being under the same umbrella, we can return to a more egalitarian 616-Verse this decade.

Astonishing Member

To be fair, secret identities are kinda superfluous for most Marvel heroes. The only ones I can think of that require it (off the top of my head) are Peter Parker, Matt Murdock, Miles Morales, Kamala Khan, and maybe Clint Barton. It is also possible to not have secret identities and to interact with everyday people, like Luke Cage and Jessica Jones do. That is why I think the current caste system in the MU (for lack of a better word) is probably mostly due to the MCU and the corporate politics of the 2010's.

Hopefully now that all Marvel properties are back to being under the same umbrella, we can return to a more egalitarian 616-Verse this decade.
    At the risk of going off topic, you don't think Thor has to interact with "normal" people?

Astonishing Member

At the risk of going off topic, you don't think Thor has to interact with "normal" people?
    It would depend on Thor's current status quo. Does Thor still interact with "normal people" outside of Jane Foster?

It would depend on Thor's current status quo. Does Thor still interact with "normal people" outside of Jane Foster?
    Nah, he is helping Galactus with the "Black Frost", but is posible that he comes back to earth soon.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

I agree with you about those selections, although I think Miles, Kamala and Clint are not as important as their superhero identity , and Matt is of equal importance to Daredevil. Peter is in his own category: More important then Spider-Man and because of his excellent supporting cast and not just MJ ( JJJ, Aunt May, Joe Robertson and the rest) coupled with the fact that he is not the only Spider-Man that sells ( Miles does as well). I strongly suspect there always will be a place for Peter in 616 ( and probably Matt as well) even if Miles, Kamala and Clint join the others and surrender their identities.

Astonishing Member

I want to see Thor's identity as Dr. Donald Blake return. It would be cool to see Thor and Peter interact more often as well...