View Poll Results: Which X-Men are climate deniers?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Colossus

0 0%
  • Rogue

3 15.79%
  • Quentin Quire

8 42.11%
  • Jubilee

1 5.26%
  • Warren Worthington III

6 31.58%
  • Emma Frost

1 5.26%
  • Gambit

1 5.26%
  • Sebastian Shaw

14 73.68%
  • Other

3 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

Default X-Men: Climate Change

No X-Man is an island.

In a rare, enjoyable moment of AvX, Colossus convinced the Electric Legion to power Eastern Europe. The Phoenix may have crashed and burned away what didn't work, but it left behind a climate crisis.

In Storm #3, Forge also tried to mitigate the effects of climate change with a rain machine, but faced a moral quandry.

Do they still have this commitment on Krakoa? Magneto recently outlined an economic strategy involving Krakoan Flower Drugs in X-Men #4. Could Krakoa's enterprise expand to renewable energies and sustainable farming?

And if it did, where would it lead? Consider the debate between Cypher and Storm of property rights and Krakoa's arrangement with the Savage Land as a flower garden. Hordeculture represented environmentalists with no concern for humanity. What can the X-Men do against them?

Should the X-Men work on climate change? How could they do it? Which X-Men are best equipped to solve this problem? Which X-Men are climate deniers?
    Last edited by coveredinbees; 05-26-2020 at 09:00 PM.

dude. I love this thread concept .Right now my thoughts are super scattered but here's where I'm at with this:

what I love about Hordeculture aside from their obvious hilarity and general slayage is that they're a reminder that the x-men and their mutant are still human . They consume just like the rest of us flatscans and can be held equally accountable - a touch ironic . I'm super interested to see how Hickman navigates this and the light he casts on Hordeculture moving forward because that'll be key in the development of the team's climate-stance - personally, I couldn't possibly see Hordeculture as archetypically evil and I hope we dont see them painted as loonies, albeit brilliant ones, past their sell-date . make the x-men feel uncomfortable . make them take a bit of a longer look in the mirror - as their distinct mutant culture takes shape, how will they make sure they are different ?

Branching off from this a bit I love love love how deeply rooted in nature and natural imagery this era is . The Eden references are clear, but I my favourite moments have been the brief gasps exploring this mutant heaven's darker underbelly - The constant partying and celebrations of unity undercut by Boom Boom passing out drunk, crawling home to an empty Sextant. The sumptuous landscapes, wild and unpredictable, merging with Black Tom and providing him with both a sense of personal clarity as well as madness. And I got so wrapped into this thought that I completely forget how it connects to my point....but the intermingling of rebirth and survival being pushed to the forefront - in what ways are these opposites and in what ways are they the exact same ? From Krakoa springs the cure to the diseases that plague humanity - mutants turn to the human methods of capitalism, of diplomacy, of blackmail. Using the old systems as the base upon which the new systems are forged. Everywhere you look in these books, we're talking about life cycles.

Moira has chosen the earth over the rapidly-progressing technology that populates it. Is this a conscious regression to the archaic ? She fears exactly what the Homo sapiens fear when they see mutants: replacement . Progression beyond oneself. Being left behind.

This type of story is fascinating to me when considering it against our own world where we are struggling to find a similar balance. We know that what we're doing to our planet, what our culture arguably rewards, is harmful and dangerous. Is there a point where we have to say enough is enough, no more progress? Or are we limiting progression to too narrow of a scope . How Hickman's story moves forwards and how it is received are going to tell us a lot about these attitudes and I cant wait to piece the puzzle together .

well. Its late and I'm throwing everything I've got at the wall. lol . hopefully this isn't complete gibberish.

also: Shaw is 1000000% a climate denier and nothing will change my mind. Quire is as well, but this is all ironic posturing and deep down he suffers from chronic existential anxiety

Iceman used his powers to help re-freeze the Polar Icecaps in Marauders.

He also got a little nooky along the way

I think there some things superhero comics just shouldn't touch.

Climate change is one of them.

You’d need a mutant who can transmute excess matter into Ozone. Alchemy could do his job for a millennia and not plug the hole.

Rogue, Gambit and Warren all voted for ***** I just know it

Cyclops was portrayed as evil for want to rebuild the poles in AvsX.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

It's a real world issue that has some relevance given the types of powers and energies that are unleashed on Earth 616 on any given day of the week, and ecological preservation of flora and fauna should definitely be a factor.

But...

On any given day of the week, the entire Earth 616 face extinction-level threats...Melting Ice-caps, mass deforestation, water/ocean pollution, animal extinction/poaching could...could, not is...be seen as secondary or even tertiary world-level threats when compared to Galactus showing up, the Kree-Skrull war, the Phalanx, the Beyonder dropping by for shyts an' giggles...

Personally, I like how Marvel/X-Men does address and physically solve this particular real-world issue...ie sparingly. Where Storm, Iceman or Forge heroically do their bit in localised areas, as doing so gives them one less problem to worry about...and because they can.
    Rising sea levels and the Brood wanting to use Earth 616 as a new hive? That's a bit much to deal with, altogether
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Rogue, Gambit and Warren all voted for ***** I just know it
    Rogue is the X-Men's response to that Liberal Redneck guy. My sixth sense tells me Gambit feels the Bern but I have no proof or reasoning loll
    But Warren........ no comment

Should the X-men work on climate change?
    Well, the X-men live on Earth, it would be logical that they do something about a phenomenon that could affect their life on this planet.

How? No idea, they are (were?) heroes.

Could Krakoa's enterprise expand to renewable energies and sustainable farming? That would be a good idea…

Which X-Men are best equipped to solve this problem?
    It's a planetary problem. Few mutants are able to work at this scale.

Climate change is initially a human problem because it is so hard to change a system that has been etablished for decades.
    Proposing a better system would be the solution.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    You’d need a mutant who can transmute excess matter into Ozone. Alchemy could do his job for a millennia and not plug the hole.
    What if Forge could make a machine that did it? What if Nature Girl and Black Tom could adapt to global warming with hear resistant plants?

CBR likes lists. Who's your X-Men Climate Change team?

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Should the X-men work on climate change?
    Well, the X-men live on Earth, it would be logical that they do something about a phenomenon that could affect their life on this planet.

How? No idea, they are (were?) heroes.

Could Krakoa's enterprise expand to renewable energies and sustainable farming? That would be a good idea…

Which X-Men are best equipped to solve this problem?
    It's a planetary problem. Few mutants are able to work at this scale.

Climate change is initially a human problem because it is so hard to change a system that has been etablished for decades.
    Proposing a better system would be the solution.
    Iceman is working in the North Pole, Xavier industries work in clean energy, Krakoa has a negative carbon footprint (it is a giant plant and all the energy that the X-Men need is from a antimatter reactor).

In fact Bruce Banner (who is now in an anti-establishment environmental phase) commented on Immortal Hulk that Krakoa and Wakanda are the only nations with a chance of surviving climate change.

By the way, regarding Warren's comments, his company made electric cars and other clean technology when the X-Men were in San Francisco.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Iceman is working in the North Pole, Xavier industries work in clean energy, Krakoa has a negative carbon footprint (it is a giant plant and all the energy that the X-Men need is from a antimatter reactor).

In fact Bruce Banner (who is now in an anti-establishment environmental phase) commented on Immortal Hulk that Krakoa and Wakanda are the only nations with a chance of surviving climate change.

By the way, regarding Warren's comments, his company made electric cars and other clean technology when the X-Men were in San Francisco.
    I came here to say this but you beat me to it.

Krakoans aren't shy in sharing their tech, we saw human scientists working on it. X-Force even showed a biologic battery. I'm pretty sure they could do a lot of good stuff for the climate.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    I came here to say this but you beat me to it.

Krakoans aren't shy in sharing their tech, we saw human scientists working on it. X-Force even showed a biologic battery. I'm pretty sure they could do a lot of good stuff for the climate.
    The best thing about Krakoa is that because of how it works, its simple existence helps to combat climate change. It is a gigantic lung and it is not only limited to the island, but also all the microalgae that it uses as an alert system at sea.

The bigger Krakoa is, the more CO2 it will absorb. And the more mutants there are, the more psionic energy and bigger Krakoa can be. It's a win-win solution.

Speaking of expansion, in a godawful Lobdell issue of Excalibur, the Son of Krakoa tells Nightcrawler he crashed to Earth and took over an island. Theoretically, the X-Men could wait until 2050 and use Krakoa to conquer Earth. Wouldn't expansion require more mutant energy to sustain Krakoa? I started this thread about humanity's energy sources, but we should also examine Krakoa's reliance on living mutants.

X-Gods

Genetic codes