Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who is your favorite Movie Spiderman?

I spent the last few days watching the Spiderman movies. I enjoyed them all on some level. So I wanted to know who was your favorite movie Spiderman. Not a debate on which movie was best or anything but who you enjoyed in the role more then the others.

For me it is really hard to choose. They are had their pros and concs.

Toby did a great job as Peter Parker. He had the nerdiness and the personal problems. But as Spiderman he didnt really nail the quick wit and snappy comebacks that the comic version did.

Andrew had a good mix of both. I enjoyed the Amazing Spiderman movies.

I think that Tom did the worst (At least in Far From Home) job even though I enjoyed the movies. He did have a good mix of humor and coming into his powers. But the thing that kind of killed him for me was in Far From Home. In the comics Peter always tries to do the right thing, Help people even if it comes at a personal cost to him. I mean they threw the With Great Power comes great responsibility line at us like every third issue. But in Far From Home Peter came off as a whiner who was very hesitant to help even refusing to help Nick Fury. It wasnt really until he was forced to step in to that he fought Mysterio. Not really a huge thing but it made the movies less enjoyable.

So who do you like? Why do you like them? Did you not like one of them for any reason?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Going to go with D for Spider-Dad Bod in Spider-Verse lol
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I spent the last few days watching the Spiderman movies. I enjoyed them all on some level. So I wanted to know who was your favorite movie Spiderman. Not a debate on which movie was best or anything but who you enjoyed in the role more then the others.

For me it is really hard to choose. They are had their pros and concs.

Toby did a great job as Peter Parker. He had the nerdiness and the personal problems. But as Spiderman he didnt really nail the quick wit and snappy comebacks that the comic version did.

Andrew had a good mix of both. I enjoyed the Amazing Spiderman movies.

I think that Tom did the worst (At least in Far From Home) job even though I enjoyed the movies. He did have a good mix of humor and coming into his powers. But the thing that kind of killed him for me was in Far From Home. In the comics Peter always tries to do the right thing, Help people even if it comes at a personal cost to him. I mean they threw the With Great Power comes great responsibility line at us like every third issue. But in Far From Home Peter came off as a whiner who was very hesitant to help even refusing to help Nick Fury. It wasnt really until he was forced to step in to that he fought Mysterio. Not really a huge thing but it made the movies less enjoyable.

So who do you like? Why do you like them? Did you not like one of them for any reason?
    I am going with Miles as the best. I like the character growth in Into The Spider-Verse. The worst? Garfield in Amazing Spider-Man 2. He was atrocious as Peter.

Toby was great for Peter but never got that witty devil may care Spidey down.

Tom has the look nailed in both personas, but his Spidey movies just haven’t been very Spidey-ish.

Andrew was an overly cool looking nerd, but more than made up for it w.
    THE best live action Spidey. Even in the awful sequel, he himself was great to watch.

So, yeah Andrew for me.

In order:

1. Tobey will always be MY Spider-Man. He did a great job of capturing both Peter and Spidey, especially his performance in Spider-Man 2. Spider-Man 2 is still one of my all time favorite superhero film and much of that is contributed to Tobey's performance in the film and bringing one of my favorite comic heroes to life.

2. Both Chris Pine and Jake Johnson from Into The Spider-Verse. Both of their performances really captured a older and more experienced Peter. Pine captured the confidence and the wit, Johnson really captured the humanity of the character.

3. Tom is excellent at capturing the youthful energy of a young Peter/Spider-Man and his performance is enjoyable. I hope we continue his arc that we saw at the end of Far From Home where he starts to rely more on himself.

4. Garfield was a fine Spider-Man but his Peter came off as kind of douchey and unlikable. I don't particularly enjoy his films and haven't really re-watched them since they were first released on DVD, but that is just me.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    In order:

1. Tobey will always be MY Spider-Man. He did a great job of capturing both Peter and Spidey, especially his performance in Spider-Man 2. Spider-Man 2 is still one of my all time favorite superhero film and much of that is contributed to Tobey's performance in the film and bringing one of my favorite comic heroes to life.

2. Both Chris Pine and Jake Johnson from Into The Spider-Verse. Both of their performances really captured a older and more experienced Peter. Pine captured the confidence and the wit, Johnson really captured the humanity of the character.

3. Tom is excellent at capturing the youthful energy of a young Peter/Spider-Man and his performance is enjoyable. I hope we continue his arc that we saw at the end of Far From Home where he starts to rely more on himself.

4. Garfield was a fine Spider-Man but his Peter came off as kind of douchey and unlikable. I don't particularly en
    joy his films and haven't really re-watched them since they were first released on DVD, but that is just me.
    I certainly agree with you about Garfield. I think Moore ( Miles) was the best I also liked Cage as Noir. Kravitz as MJ might be the best character in a Spider-Man movie. She got her down perfectly.

Incredible Member

Tobey Maguire.

I think Chris Pine's was probably the most well-rounded of the movie Spider-Men for all of the few minutes of screentime he gets.

Tobey's the dork.

Andrew's the Quipper.

Tom's the kid.

Jake is the "grizzled vet."

Tobey was in the best set of Spider-Man movies, and therefore its him.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I really like Andrew Garfield. There's no doubt in my mind that Tom Holland is great, or that Spider-Verse is hands down the best super-hero movie ever made, but for personal preference, I might go with Garfield.

But I will note, I love his Spider-Man, but his Peter had a couple really annoying traits. He definitely had the "overly cool loser" thing going on, and I can't stand the way that he stumbled over every single thing he ever said to Gwen, but... for me the positives outweigh the negatives.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I really like Andrew Garfield. There's no doubt in my mind that Tom Holland is great, or that Spider-Verse is hands down the best super-hero movie ever made, but for personal preference, I might go with Garfield.

But I will note, I love his Spider-Man, but his Peter had a couple really annoying traits. He definitely had the "overly cool loser" thing going on, and I can't stand the way that he stumbled over every single thing he ever said to Gwen, but... for me the positives outweigh the negatives.
    Garfield probably had the best Spider-Man voice of all the live-action Spidey's.

Holland might have it if they actually wrote him that way, but they don't so...

Live-action my pick is Garfield followed by Tobey. Overall my choice is Jake Johnson (voice of Peter B. Parker "Into the Spiderverse").
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Spectacular Member Kuro no Shinigami's Avatar

In my opinion, Tobey was the best Spider-Man. He is the everyman, like Peter Parker. A normal average, timid and socially awkward kid.

Astonishing Member

The animated versions are the best, but it's kinda not a fair fight here. Animation will always allow you to get away with more than live-action. Also the directors of Into the Spider-Verse weren't expected to bring in big Box Office numbers. When you're not expected to bring in as many numbers, you have less studio supervision. Who knows what Raimi, Webb, and Watts could have made if they had that kind of freedom? The same goes for the three animation directors if they had to work on the live-action films.

If we stick to only comparing the live-action versions, Andrew Garfield is still my favorite. Even with the cringe hoodie and skateboard, Garfield was still the closest to 616 Peter Parker. ASM1 nails the angry outcast Peter from the Ditko era perfectly, and ASM2 nails the James Dean Peter from the Romita run. The writing could have been better, but we did get to see Garfield play every iteration of Peter between Amazing Fantasy 15 to early Gerry Conway. It is an overall solid take on Spider-Man as a character, which we can't say about other franchise flops.

I could never get into Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man. As Peter, Maguire came across as a nerd caricature in the vein of George McFly. I never saw Peter as that of an over-the-top nerd. Peter's nerdy-ness strikes me as more grounded than that. He is the nerd people don't bother to look at twice, not the nerd that stands out like he is from a movie set. On top of that, Maguire's Peter never outgrew the nerd stereotypes after becoming Spider-Man. As Spider-Man, he also felt like more of a stuntman than Spider-Man (mute and bulky).

The MCU version is my least favorite. I think the problem with MCU Peter is that he is 50% Miles Morales, and 50% an ageist take on Spider-Man. There are also some classist undertones I'm not fond of. Of the three live-action versions, he feels the most like a corporate manufacture. I'm sure Tom Holland can be a great Peter Parker, but so far they haven't let him be that.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 05-30-2020 at 08:11 AM.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Chris Pine Spidey overall. For just live action, easily Garfield. Maguire was decent as well and Holland is just irredeemable imo.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man