Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I say Tom Holland
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

Let me say that I don't think any live-action Spider-Man is faithful or truer than any other.

Tobey Maguire's Peter Parker/Spider-Man is my favorite of the live-action Spider-Man. Maguire as an actor in 1 and 2 really carried the movies and he really inhabited the role and conveyed multiple aspects of Peter well...Peter the dutiful nephew, the romantic lead, the aspiring college boy. He had a good dynamic with all the actors. Sure it's not faithful in a lot of respects to 616, but it's still a very valid interpretation and excellent adaptation.

Animation wise, both Peter Parkers in ITSV are also versions I like and Chris Pine's "blonde" Peter is the most faithful to 616 Spider-Man than any other.

Spectacular Member

They all have various pros and cons, right?

Tobey got the relatable everyman and the Parker luck aspects down pat, but he was too much of a doormat and his quips weren't as well integrated.

Garfield was an excellent in costume Spider-Man and he nailed the quips and the more science focused aspects, but he was almost too odd and eccentric. He was kinda a cooler hipster.

Holland is pretty well rounded IMO. He's relatable, he's believably smart, and I think he nails the quips, especially in Homecoming. However, his youth is over emphasized, and he doesn't have as much of an attitude as Peter should. Peter's a nice guy, but he isn't afraid to stick up for himself, and Tom's version is a little too prone to listening to authority.

As far as my opinions on the films overall, I think we Spider-Man fans are the most blessed fandom in the superhero canon. Spider-Man 1 and 2 are both wonderfully entertaining films that mostly nail the essence of Spider-Man, Homecoming is an excellent update of the Lee/Ditko run mixed with a large dose of Ultimate Spider-Man, and Far From Home was a solid sequel, (even if the EDITH subplot was pretty contrived). Plus, Spider-Verse won the Oscar for best animated film, even if it's not really a traditional Spider-Man story.

Sure, Spider-Man 3 is atrocious and the Amazing movies aren't very good, but I have 5 great big budget Spider-Man movies that I can watch. Fans of Batman and Superman and many other superhero franchises can't say the same IMO.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Parker View Post
    They all have various pros and cons, right?
    They do. I also think that we need to consider the performance separate from the rest of the movie (direction, writing, production design) and not put any single one on a pedestal, since that can be damaging, as with Christopher Reeve and Superman.

Holland is pretty well rounded IMO.
    I disagree there. To me, Holland unlike Tobey's Peter and even Garfield's Peter lacks a sense of interiority. I never got a sense with Holland's Peter that he has a sense of inner life, whereas you did with Tobey and Garfield (with Garfield, it was too much inner life).

Holland's also not a versatile Spider-Man. Since majority of the time in the MCU he's a character mediated in relation to older heroes and adults rather than his own person with his sense of self. In movie terms, it comes across as a young inexperienced character actor whose time as a leading man is constantly spent having scenes stolen by him by established leading men or former leading men (as in the case of Keaton and Gyllenhaal).

In Holland's Spider-Man movies, the villains are more complex and interesting than him. That's fine for a Batman movie, but for a Spider-Man movie that's a problem.

Sure, Spider-Man 3 is atrocious and the Amazing movies aren't very good, but I have 5 great big budget Spider-Man movies that I can watch. Fans of Batman and Superman and many other superhero franchises can't say the same IMO.
    Well Batman fans have the Animated Series, the Arkham games, and the Nolan Batman movies each of which tell a complete beginning-middle-end story that provides a finale to that version of Batman. Whereas with Spider-Man we have mostly indeterminate and incomplete versions across the board with most animated series, movies, and games.

tom holland so far. no disrespect to the other actors, though. my individual gripes have more to do with the stories than the acting.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    They do. I also think that we need to consider the performance separate from the rest of the movie (direction, writing, production design) and not put any single one on a pedestal, since that can be damaging, as with Christopher Reeve and Superman.

I disagree there. To me, Holland unlike Tobey's Peter and even Garfield's Peter lacks a sense of interiority. I never got a sense with Holland's Peter that he has a sense of inner life, whereas you did with Tobey and Garfield (with Garfield, it was too much inner life).

Holland's also not a versatile Spider-Man. Since majority of the time in the MCU he's a character mediated in relation to older heroes and adults rather than his own person with his sense of self. In movie terms, it comes across as a young inexperienced character actor whose time as a leading man is constantly spent having scenes stolen by him by established leading men or former leading men (as in the case of Keaton and Gyllenhaal).

In Holland's Spider-Man movies, the villains are more complex and interesting than him. That's fine for a Batman movie, but for a Spider-Man movie that's a problem.

Well Batman fans have the Animated Series, the Arkham games, and the Nolan Batman movies each of which tell a complete beginning-middle-end story that provides a finale to that version of Batman. Whereas with Spider-Man we have mostly indeterminate and incomplete versions across the board with most animated series, movies, and games.
    I disagree about Holland, but I respect your opinion. I think he's the most well rounded personality wise. That being said, the best Spider-Man (outside the comics) is either Yuri Lowenthal from Spider-Man PS4 or Josh Keaton from Spectacular Spider-Man. Those two are vastly superior to any film portrayal.

To all the Tobey/SM doubters, I submit Exhibit A:

Aunt May showing more character than all the other pretenders combined!

Spider-Man a comic book collector!

Kids need a hero!

Also May references Superman, so this is the first successful Marvel/DC crossover!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Spectacular Member

For me, Toby was the best spider-man! He nailed both characters of spider-man and peter parker. Andrew is good as well, they really showcased the skills of spider-man in the movie.. but his peter parker didn’t feel right to me. Tom is my least favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    To all the Tobey/SM doubters, I submit Exhibit A:

Aunt May showing more character than all the other pretenders combined!

Spider-Man a comic book collector!

Kids need a hero!

Also May references Superman, so this is the first successful Marvel/DC crossover!
    Still the best live-action Aunt May by a mile.