Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Just guessing, same reason as Green Arrow and the rest of the Seven Soldiers.

In its first few years, All-Star Comics was kind of a launching pad for properties that could not only anchor an anthology book, but headline a title book, like Superman and Batman. When they were getting close, they became the Chairman, and then got promoted out (Flash and Green Lantern; I have heard Hawkman was next, but WWII paper rationing made it unfeasible). When characters' popularity dropped, meaning a solo wasn't even possible, they were cut from the team (Hourman, Dr. Fate, the Spectre). Now, by mid-WWII, the rules had changed, and the roster was set in stone. The only roster change was Black Canary, who replaced Johnny Thunder in both the JSA and his feature in Flash Comics.

Aquaman didn't hold a title until the late 1960s. So, like Johnny Quick, Robot Man, and The Seven Soldiers, I'd guess he just didn't show the support to put him in contention for a title during that formative period of the JSA.
    I've always been intrigued by that aspect of a book filled with contenders, but the second they become a champ, they're out, or relegated to guest appearances. It's completely counter to the way these things work now, where nearly every new Justice League iteration, Batman at least shows up, because his popularity makes him a selling point.

Now obviously this isn't universal - many teams like the contemporary JSA, the Legion of Super-Heroes, the All-Star Squadron, etc. tend not to have many or any characters who have their own book outside the team! But the Big Teams, the Justice Leagues - which the JSA was at the time - generally has only a few members, like J'onn J'onzz or Cyborg, who struggle to keep a regular title.

I mean I guess all that goes without saying but heck if I didn't decide to up and say it anyway for some reason.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Earth-2 in general
    1. The U.N. is replaced with the World Army (I really enjoyed this idea from the New 52, but I think it would be better to have the WA arise after WWII, instead of following an invasion from Apokolips).

2. Because the World Army plundered and reverse engineered a lot of the Nazi “Super-Tech” after WWII, technology on Earth-2 is somewhat retro-futuristic. Some of the “Super-Tech” is still being studied to this day.

3. There are some geographical and local environmental differences between Earth-2 and Earth-1/Prime Earth/Whichever-earth-the-JLA-resides-on.

4. EDIT - Superman, Batman, Captain Marvel/Shazam, and their supporting casts of characters DON’T EXIST here.

GOLDEN AGE
    WWII-era. The Justice Society fighting Nazis and the early super-villains (Brainwave, King Bee, Ultra-Humanite, etc).

JSA members:
    - The Sandman Wesley Dodds
    - The Flash Jay Garrick
    - Hawkman Carter Hall
    - Hawkgirl Shiera Sanders
    - Hourman Rex Tyler
    - Doctor Fate Kent Nelson
    - Green Lantern Alan Scott
    - The Atom Al Pratt
    - Doctor Mid-Nite Charles McNider
    - Starman Ted Knight
    - Wonder Woman Diana Prince
    - Wildcat Ted Grant

Ma Hunkel will act as the team’s secretary and cook.

Regardless of how long the series hypothetically runs, the final arc will involve the superheroes and their families repelling an attack by the time-traveling would-be dictator Per Degaton.
    - Hawkman, Hawkgirl, and Starman will die defeating Per Degaton (who retreats back into the Time stream to lick his wounds).
    - The Atom, his wife, and Ma Hunkel will be brought forwards in time to about 50 years before the present.
    - Everyone else (except Wonder Woman) will be brought forwards in time to about 25 years before the present.

WONDER WOMAN
    Post-WWII and up to the present day. Wonder Woman fighting her rogues gallery (The Cheetah, Baroness Paula von Gunther, Doctor Poison, etc) and serving as a champion of equality.

Wonder Woman’s superhero family will include:
    - The Star-Spangled Kid Sylvester Pemberton
    - Stripesy Pat Dugan
    - Wonder Girl Donna Troy

JUSTICE SOCIETY
    Present day. The surviving members of the old Justice Society come out of retirement to mentor and train a new generation of superheroes, while also dealing with a resurgence of super-villainy (the Ultra-Humanite, the Injustice Society, the Fourth Reich, Alien Invasions from Venus and Jupiter’s moons, etc).

“Old” JSA members:
    - The Flash
    - Green Lantern
    - S.T.R.I.P.E.S. (Formerly Stripesy)
    - Wonder Woman
    - Wildcat

“New” JSA members
    - Black Canary Dinah Drake
    - Hawkman II Charles Parker (reincarnation of Hawkman)
    - Hawkgirl II Kendra Munoz (reincarnation of Hawkgirl)
    - Atom-Smasher Al Rothstein (grandson of the Atom)
    - Hourman II Rick Tyler (son of Hourman)
    - Doctor Mid-Nite II Beth Chapel
    - Stargirl Courtney Whitmore
    - Cyclone Maxine Hunkel (granddaughter of Ma Hunkel)
    - Doctor Fate II Khalid Nassour

RED TEAM
    Present day. In response to the growing threat of super-villainy, the World Army creates its own team of superheroes.

Red Team Members:
    - Commander Steel Henry Heywood
    - Firebrand/Red Lantern Danette Reilly
    - Red Bee Jenna Raleigh
    - Red Tornado
    - The Red Torpedo Jim Lockhart

EARTH-2 QUARTERLY SPECIAL
    This title will help to expand on the world-building, by exploring the backstory of specific locations or individuals.
    Last edited by Burning Eyes; 05-29-2020 at 07:50 AM.
    Man of Steel, Batman v. Superman, Justice League.

My favorite film trilogy.

Extraordinary Member

Interesting how many people leave off Power Girl, while putting more marginal JSA characters in.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Interesting how many people leave off Power Girl, while putting more marginal JSA characters in.
    I was thinking about it, but I wanted a an earth 2 w. no Superman (or Batman) because honestly, they’re already the focus of 75% of DC’s output already. So, no Kryptonians on earth.

Astonishing Member

Is this limited to only Earth 2 characters or can we use characters who weren't originally from Earth 2?

Fun thread

So in my head Earth-2's main difference from the main Earth would be that the early arrival of super-heroes dramatically altered the world's history. As years went by, Earth-2 would get further and further away from what out society looks like.

With that in mind, I think on Earth-2 a concept like 5G would actually make a lot more sense. Have one book for every major period, exploring different aspects of E2's history.
    My Earth-2 would essentially be the same as the original, up until the Crisis. After that, the world would have survived and evolved, these line would be the first to show us how.

SUPERMAN: MAN OF ACTION - Set in the 30s, starring the original version of Superman, as he begins his career as the world's first super-hero. Heavily inspired by the original comics. I would like if this book took the Untold Tales of Spider-Man approach.

THE JSA CHRONICLES: Continuing from All-Star Comics 56 and chronicling the team's adventures until they disbanded in the 50s.

JUSTICE SOCIETY INFINITY: Set in the 90s, seven years after Crisis. The team would now be a mix of active originals and the Infinitors. Stargirl would debut here too.

STARWOMAN: Set decades after JSI, an ageless Stargirl has grown to become the world's greatest hero. She'd lead a new team of heroes inspired by the JSA. This book would be the one set on the present-day, as it wouldn't matter how many decades would have passed since JSI, the world would be a new and brighter place now.

ALL-STAR COMICS: Anthology book starring the biggest heroes of Earth-2 throughout the decades. Each hero would get an arc at a time, starting with Alan Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    UNCLE SAM
    Set in Boston, the book follows Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters, most (but not all) of whom have retired/will act as supporting characters/suit up occasionally.
    Uncle Sam is really a combination of Captain America and Thor. He’s an American God, linked to the Country and it’s ppl. We’d explore that and create a Pantheon of other American tall tales/folk tales. Not all of them friendly.
    There’s also a reason Uncle Same and his team remained independent of the JSA back in the day...there’s some static there, and we’d finally get to see that secret history.
    I like this a lot.

As far as an Earth-X solo title goes, this would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    My hypothetical vision of Earth-2 is one where Superman, Batman, Captain Marvel/Shazam, and their supporting casts of characters DON’T EXIST.

I should probably go back and edit my original post to reflect this...
    Man of Steel, Batman v. Superman, Justice League.

My favorite film trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Eyes View Post
    I like this a lot.

As far as an Earth-X solo title goes, this would be perfect.
    Thanks!
    I know the FF are technically earth X, but in order for this to work they’d have to be earth 2.
    I figure as the editor, I’d push for this book, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Eyes View Post
    My hypothetical vision of Earth-2 is one where Superman, Batman, Captain Marvel/Shazam, and their supporting casts of characters DON’T EXIST.
    Same for me, more or less.
    The supporting casts would be fun to use in various ways, but the heroes themselves (especially Supes/Bats like I said above) already get enough exposure.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

JSA: A team up book that starts with the formation of the team in 1940. Members include Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Flash, Hawkman and Hawkgirl, Dr. Fate, Spectre, Wonder Woman, Hourman, Wildcat, Sandman, Dr, Midnight, Johnny Thunder, Starman, the Atom, etc. This will be the main book. Takes place in the past.

Infinity Inc.: This takes place in the mid-eighties. It includes Power Girl, Huntress, Jade, Obsidian, Silver Scarab, Fury, Northwind, Nuklon, Star Spangled Kid, Brainwave Jr., and the Yolanda Montez Wildcat and Beth Dr. Midnight. Older JSAers will show up once in a while like Superman and GL and Flash. But for the most part, they are retired.

ALL STAR SQUADRON: This is actually a modern day book. With a third generation of new characters. With some old II members and JSAers thrown in. Superman is still alive. Due to his powers, he ages much slower than normal humans. Lois died decades ago so he's largely cut himself off from humanity. GL and Flash are both also still alive due to their powers. But Flash isn't nearly as fast as he used to be. New members take on much of the powers of the old members. A new Flash. Alan Scott retires and gives the ring to a new GL. Power Woman is still a member and leader of the team. She is at her full Kryptonian power levels. Obsidian doesn't age so he is still a member. Jade has a daughter who takes on her role. Northwind ages much slower than humans so he is older but not too old. Nuklon's son takes over his role. Most of the rest of the JSA are dead. A new Dr. Midnight. A new Hourman. Stargirl can join the team. Many of the "legacy" characters like Maxine Hunkle will be here.

Golden Age Green Lantern: The stand alone adventures of Alan Scott.

Golden Age Flash: The stand alone adventures of Jay Garrick.

Stargirl: Modern day adventures of Courtney Whitmore with all kinds of guest appearances. A lot like the TV show.

These would be for starters. Depending on how well they do, I might expand the line.
    Assassinate Putin!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I've always been intrigued by that aspect of a book filled with contenders, but the second they become a champ, they're out, or relegated to guest appearances. It's completely counter to the way these things work now, where nearly every new Justice League iteration, Batman at least shows up, because his popularity makes him a selling point.

Now obviously this isn't universal - many teams like the contemporary JSA, the Legion of Super-Heroes, the All-Star Squadron, etc. tend not to have many or any characters who have their own book outside the team! But the Big Teams, the Justice Leagues - which the JSA was at the time - generally has only a few members, like J'onn J'onzz or Cyborg, who struggle to keep a regular title.

I mean I guess all that goes without saying but heck if I didn't decide to up and say it anyway for some reason.
    It is interesting to me. Clearly, the strategy in 1940 was to create more books to sell. Paper rationing ended that, and by the time rationing was lifted, the superhero was fading as a percent of books on the shelf. So the strategy shifted to just sell as many of the existing books as they could, which - I assume - is why All-Star Comics brought GL and Flash back into the fold after Dr. Fate, The Spectre, Starman, and The Sandman all lost their features.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Is this limited to only Earth 2 characters or can we use characters who weren't originally from Earth 2?
    I didn't articulate it in my post, but I confined my notion to E2 as the pre-All-Star Squadron world, with only the National and All-American properties. My thought was to use the Quality, Fawcett, Charlton and other acquisition characters outside the Golden Age. Some scattered throughout the past but most available as new characters in the present.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 05-29-2020 at 10:12 AM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Other future titles might include:

Golden Age Superman: These would be his adventures in the early 1940s. About Fleischer Superman cartoon power levels.

Golden Age Batman: These would be the early 1940s adventures of Batman and Robin.

Golden Age Wonder Woman: Her early 1940s adventures fighting Nazis.

Maybe minis could be things like:

Dr. Midnight.

Dr. Fate.

Hourman.

Sandman.
    Assassinate Putin!

Legends from the Golden Age - Kind of a Legends of the Dark Knight/Untold Tales of Spider-Man-type book that would be a mix-up of retold stories from actual Golden Age comics and original stories that could fit into that mold. Each issue or story arc (no more than three issues) changing focus to a different JSA character.

Wonder Woman: - Same as before with modernized retellings of Golden Age Wonder Woman stories intermixed with original stories but with the 70s show also serving as an influence.

Superman - As above, modernized retellings and original stories from the Golden Age and Fleischer shorts.

Only have vague ideas of what I'd want for other books but one idea I had was that half the books would be set in the WW2 era and the other half would be set in the modern day. The big creative influence on the stories set in the past being, aside from their actual GA stories and other media, being New Frontier.
    Last edited by Gaius; 05-29-2020 at 10:27 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Knowing almost nothing about Earth 2 I'll just gonna comment on how interesting these pitches are for me.

I'm interested in the Different Gotham with Alan Scott instead of Batman. Bonus points if you feature popular Gotham characters in different roles, like the Batfam as civilians supporting characters.
    Thanks!
    And yeah, I’d like to see that happen across the whole line, ideally.
    Alan Scott had an extensive rouge's gallery of his own...including a Harlequin!

(It's really a shame that so many golden-age villains were lost.)

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

C6522C78-3CF2-47E0-B05C-F6F50651920E.jpg
    18251C91-1B99-47AD-885E-8C4B27D04DBD.jpg

2nd Title—The Adventures of Superman. This book has a main story featuring the adventures of Kal L during the heyday of the Vietnam war, with a backup featuring Val Zod Superman, and a more current Earth 2 Metropolis.
    Main story:
    Writer: Dan Abnett
    Artist: Neil Googe
    Backup:
    Writer: Sam Humphries
    Artist: Eddy Barrows
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 06-07-2020 at 12:18 PM.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post

It's interesting to see how these big name/best of the best type team books get organized in general. The Justice Society of America was a book of contenders. Characters who had anthology features but not their own titles. The original Justice League of America was a book full of characters who mostly had made it. Every character there had their own title or had a running feature in an anthology like Martian Manhunter in Detective Comics or Aquaman in Adventure Comics. Then in the '80s, the Justice League International was originally intended to be another "big guns" book like the original JLA but they weren't allowed to use most of those characters because they were all in the middle of getting revamped Post-Crisis. So, instead it became a book of potential up-and-comers. People may look at them as the third string or "lovable losers" now, but they were seen as having potential then. Blue Beetle had a title launching soon. So did Booster Gold. Dr. Light had just been introduced in Crisis. Guy Gardener had just gotten his ring also in Crisis. Captain Marvel had just had a good showing in Legends. Dr. Fate had a miniseries coming out. It seems there are a whole bunch of ways to fill out a roster for a team like this.

Oh, this was a bit off topic. I don't really have much to say about Earth-2 . . .