Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

At first, I was mildly excited because I like the idea of Henry Cavill getting another chance and because his physical resemblance to Superman is great (not all that enamored with his acting, but a lot of people like him and maybe with a better script he could be good, idk). Plus, this means Superman will be appearing in a movie again in the relatively near future. But the more I think about it, the less interested I am. I'm ready to be done with the DCEU Superman, and I care even less if they aren't actually making a movie where Superman is the main character. So, meh. I guess at the end of the day, I still consider this to be good news, but not that good unless it's accompanied by an actual good Superman movie. Best case scenario for Cavill's return would be him starring as an all-new non-DCEU Superman in a movie focused on Superman, but what are the odds of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I know that this idea that Cavill would do Hulk-like cameos in D.C. movies already went through the news cycle a couple years ago. I wonder if the news is just being run by a robot that sends out items according to an algorithm and maybe all of this isn't real.

The other Superman cameo I would appreciate is in a Krypto movie. Adapt "Starwinds Howl" (by Elliot S! Maggin) as either a combo of live action and photo-realistic C.G. or as a full-on animated feature.
    Deadline is one of the few Hollywood news outlets you can trust. I just think Cavill is either finally giving in after trying to hold out and force WB to give him a solo, or these cameos come with the promise that if he’s well-received he can have another shot at a solo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This is kind of my concern as well.

And this is just Superman? I guess it's cheaper then bringing Amy Adams back too.
    Adams isn’t coming back at this point I suspect, it would be a waste of her time and talent. Flashpoint provides her an out. They could recast the role assuming Cavill even ever gets another shot.

What if it doesn't build up to a solo movie? What if it is just cameos and supporting role for Superman for the rest of Cavill's tenure as Superman?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    What if it doesn't build up to a solo movie? What if it is just cameos and supporting role for Superman for the rest of Cavill's tenure as Superman?
    Be kind of sad...but I guess they could be good guest appearances?

I dunno if Cavill should be happy about this beyond getting to continue playing Superman.

Be kind of sad...but I guess they could be good guest appearances?

I dunno if Cavill should be happy about this beyond getting to continue playing Superman.
    Eh, for Cavill I'd say work is work and an iconic role is an iconic role. I'd kill just to play Superman in bit parts in movies, but each their own.

And if the guest appearances are good, then they're better than nothing. Still not getting excited over Cavill though.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

This is kind of my concern as well.

And this is just Superman? I guess it's cheaper then bringing Amy Adams back too.
    This might have more to do with it than anything else. They aren't sure they can get her back and in recent interviews she suggested that she thinks they are done. My guess is that if they want her back, it's gonna cost a butt load of money. And a Superman movie without Lois Lane doesn't work very well. It doesn't look good to get Cavill back only to lose Adams. So cameos until they get everyone else on board might not be the worst way to go.
    Assassinate Putin!

I don't know, I think the best way to go if you can't secure her is to just bite the bullet and recast, in the event that is the hold up.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Then we’re no better or worse off then we were before. Sucks for Cavill but we’ll get some better Superman moments hopefully, especially under Sandberg with Shazam. We’ll still have the TV show for something Superman focused, and maybe down the line we’ll get a reboot. I’m honestly very wary of any claims that Cavill could be an amazing Superman even without Snyder holding him down. He’s always just been “fine” to “ok” for me. I loved him as Geralt but that’s not a role the requires much in the way of emotional acting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don't know, I think the best way to go if you can't secure her is to just bite the bullet and recast, in the event that is the hold up.
    Their romance was utterly wooden to me, something I blame on the script and directing since I know Adams can bring it ability wise. Honestly wouldn’t mind a recast, but Cavill needs to step up his game either way. The worst case scenario for me (besides Snyder getting put in charge of directing), is if Cavill gets another shot and turns in another mediocre performance.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

That would be disappointing, but still preferable to pretending Superman doesn't exist or matter.

And in a way, cameos and supporting roles could be a very convenient way to recognize his importance, debatably more so than if he just had another self-contained solo film. By having him help or mentor other heroes, fight exciting villains, and serve as a part of various plots, it becomes more impossible to ignore or forget him.

Now there are plenty of ways that could go wrong, from forcing him to job to heroes/villains to marginalizing/satirizing him to the point of being ineffective. But it shouldn't be too hard to have him be a positive and fan-pleasing presence on various DC projects.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think it's too early to tell what this new deal will end up being outside of the long-talked about Superman/Shazam vs. Black Adam movie. I'm hopeful that it could lead to some cool stuff moving forward. Turning Superman into the Nick Fury of the revamped DCEU isn't necessarily a bad idea. I'd love to see Cavill and Gadot actually get some screen time together, after the Snyder films completely missed the boat there in favor of multiple scenes with Bruce Wayne.

Not sure if Superman and Aquaman is necessarily something I'd like to see unless there was something really cool in the story. I think he'd be a great addition to The Flash, if that film ever crawls out of development hell.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

If i am gonna have a superdad he needs to have a kid.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I fight for those who can't fight for themselves.

Astonishing Member

I for one am really looking forward to another solo outing for Cavill's Superman. I really think he needs a Ragnarok - a movie that isn't a reboot per se but a retool that takes him on some fun sci-fi comic-booky adventures.

To me, the ideal story for that would be the Brainiac/Bottled City of Kandor story. Not only will we FINALLY get Brainiac on-screen, but Kandor, and other Bottled Cities, lets us explore a bunch of alien environments, something we really haven't seen much in Superman movies before but are a fixture of the comics.

As for the shared universe, if Cavill sticks around, I'm curious to see how that would play with Pattison's Batman, who's definitely a reboot - especially since the Affleck version of Batman played such a key role in this Superman's story. If they DO bring them together on-screen at some point, it'd be an interesting reversal - we'd go from a rookie Superman and veteran Batman, to a rookie Batman and veteran Superman (in and out of universe).

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Their romance was utterly wooden to me, something I blame on the script and directing since I know Adams can bring it ability wise. Honestly wouldn’t mind a recast, but Cavill needs to step up his game either way. The worst case scenario for me (besides Snyder getting put in charge of directing), is if Cavill gets another shot and turns in another mediocre performance.
    I feel the same way. Adams is a supreme talent, I'm a big fan of her work, but the chemistry between these two incarnations is virtually non-existent. Whether its keeping Cavill and getting a new Lois, or keeping Lois and getting a new Superman, it wouldn't bum me out much on this front as I wouldn't see the dynamic as being negatively affected as it was already unimpressive.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

In theory, probably the best possible time to do Superman & The Legion of Super-Heroes. That story doesn't require Superman's set up or supporting cast, and it's largely about introducing the Legion. Do it from their POV, take off the story's emotional load from Superman, and cast him primarily an immovable paragon to be aspired towards. Kind of an inspirational Hulk who functions as the heart and muscle of the film.

But I don't think they're interested in expanding that way yet, and maybe not even with Clark. Seems their goal is a punching contest with Black Adam...
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.