Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Cavill In Talks To Return As Superman

https://www.cbr.com/man-steel-henry-...perman-return/
    https://twitter.com/deadline/status/...833540097?s=21
    While there is not a Man of Steel sequel in the works, we’re hearing that Henry Cavill is in talks to reprise his role as Superman in the Warner Bros. DC Universe.

We hear Cavill could come back in a couple of different ways, not a standalone film, but there are plans to put him back in the big red cape again sources with knowledge tell us.

Warner Bros. is not developing a Man of Steel sequel, and Wonder Woman 1984, Suicide Squad are in the can, and Superman isn’t expected to make a cameo in Matt Reeves’ The Batman. Other projects where Cavill could make a cameo are Shazam 2, Dwayne Johnson’s Black Adam or Aquaman 2, which are the next productions to be prepped once COVID-19 safety restrictions lift.
    Thoughts? I was kind of hoping they’d reboot Superman and move on, but what the hell. Seeing Superman and Shazam team up to fight Black Adam could be pretty cool. I gotta think that if Cavill is talking, these team-ups would rehabilitate his version to the general audience so that if he can win the public over he’ll get another shot at a Superman solo. The initial rumors from way back after Justice League in regards to Cavill’s contract disputes from what I recall were very similar, WB just wanted him to cameo in other movies, and Cavill wasn’t satisfied with that. It’s possible he’s backed down but I do think there’s a chance he’s trying to get a clause made that if the public warms up to him, he can get another solo.
    Last edited by Vordan; 05-27-2020 at 06:20 PM.

Hmm. Well my first thought is "I'll believe it when I see it."

My second thought is that WB should crawl on their hands and knees and beg Cavill to reprise the role, and promise him anything he wants in return. Of all the many problems with the DCEU films, Cavill was never one of them.

Third thought is "Still no Superman solo film? F*ck you, WB." But right on the heels of that is my fourth and final thought "They've done so much damage to Superman's reputation with the last few films, maybe some guest appearances and team-ups will repair the damage so a solo film has a better chance of doing well down the road."

So yeah, bring back Cavill, if possible. We're keeping Momoa and Gadot, there's no reason to not keep Cavill if he's willing to put up with all of WB's sh*t.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

What makes me think it’s happening is
    1. Deadline is reporting it and they are usually in the know about stuff like this, they did the original report that negotiations had broken down
    2. Cavill finally endorsed the Snyder Cut after years of keeping silent. That to me means he’s reached a tentative understanding with WB’s since before he seemingly kept silent out of a desire to not push WB to move on.

Yes!! I had a good feeling he was coming back, especially after how his manager reacted to the Snyder cut. There was movement.

Any way, I loved Henry from the start, it was never his fault his Superman was so divisive. To me he embodies the role perfectly, but he needs different direction and a more confident and optimistic Superman. There are scenes in MOS and JL where he is exactly that to me, he just needs a great script and a better director. I hope this is true, he deserves it! Can't wait to see him in Shazam 2!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

They've already established their universe, another reboot would just create more problems. I was originally in favor of a reboot too but I just want to move on at this point. We've already got two WW movies and there's another Suicide Squad in the works. Suicide Squad! On top of Flash, another Aquaman, Shazam, and now Black Adam, which is supposedly what he's coming back for. I would rather they just move forward at this point and get this universe rolling.
    Assassinate Putin!

My mind immediately went into Shazam, because that's really the only logical place I can see Superman making a casual appearance with how DC films are currently structured, and Dwayne Johnson was really hyping up Black Adam vs. Superman.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I've wanted to see Cavill in another film completely divested from Snyder/Whedon, so I'd love to see him in Black Adam/Shazam 2

Tbh, I’ve been confused as hell why everyone has been so skeptical about him coming back. The ending of Shazam was the definition of sequel bait. I just took it as a given that the plan was he’s be in that. Just keep out Eisenburg’s Lex and I’m cautiously optimistic with Geralt getting another shot in the cape.

Am I the only one disappointed they're not just moving on with a new actor? I never really liked Cavill that much in the role (he was just fine to me) and I doubt it was all just because of Snyder. Seeing someone new would be exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Am I the only one disappointed they're not just moving on with a new actor? I never really liked Cavill that much in the role (he was just fine to me) and I doubt it was all just because of Snyder. Seeing someone new would be exciting.
    I mean, I'm kind of torn on thinking Cavill deserves another shot to just wanting a completely fresh start, but I wonder how many people will be satisfied when it sounds like his Superman is just going to be making smaller guest appearances now.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    They've already established their universe, another reboot would just create more problems. I was originally in favor of a reboot too but I just want to move on at this point. We've already got two WW movies and there's another Suicide Squad in the works. Suicide Squad! On top of Flash, another Aquaman, Shazam, and now Black Adam, which is supposedly what he's coming back for. I would rather they just move forward at this point and get this universe rolling.
    Not to be that guy, but recast is not the same thing as reboot - they could have dropped Cavill and moved on but without rebooting. Just get a new actor and a small line to dismiss he's changed and tada.

We'll see. I mean, the idea of him showing up in other characters' films honestly doesn't do much for me on its own. I'll be excited again when a new solo, whatever method they may choose to go about it, gets announced. Until then I'm just kinda in keeping an ear to the ground mode.

I am though at the very least happy that this hopefully is the end of the rumors of replacing Superman outright in film, be it with Supergirl or a race-bent alternate. That's one positive step.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-27-2020 at 07:15 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, I'm kind of torn on thinking Cavill deserves another shot to just wanting a completely fresh start, but I wonder how many people will be satisfied when it sounds like his Superman is just going to be making smaller guest appearances now.
    His fans, and a few if his Superman fans, and the Snyder/old DCEU fans will be happy(happier anyways). But mist others I imagine, meh. Unless he does so much better in these films than he did previous films and catches like wildfire. But I kinda doubt it myself.

I'm just happy he's maybe getting a chance to do it right. I really want to see what Cavill is capable of with the right people behind the camera and script. If that's just in a team up movie, okay. It's not what I'd like, but it's still better than them constantly screwing up. So if WB has to ease back into the character with bit appearances for a while, whatever. If that's what it takes for them to figure Superman out.

I'm not invested in the DCEU and I don't trust WB at all. I'd rather the next Superman movie recast and had nothing to do with previous films (or anyone connected in any way to them). I'm fine just dropping that thread. It's movies, not comics, why stick with what isn't working? But if Cavill can get a chance to do Superman right, I want to see it.

Besides, if WB continue to screw the character up (which is likely), I'd rather it not tarnish yet another actor's resume. Better to let Cavill keep the role and take the risk for now; he's already been burned and managed to recover with the Witcher. I figure it's like chicken pox, once you get it you can't really get it again.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I'm inclined to like Cavill, but hearing he's still in talks is like watching a live lottery telecast and seeing you matched the first number. You still have five more things have to fall into place before you can do any sort of real celebrating.