Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I have become increasingly irritated by writing which feels like it's trying to tell me how to think about the real world.

Irrespective of if I actually agree, I don't need to be preached at.

I don't mind politics or social comments within the in mythos world, but it has felt increasingly like some writers are just writing political social rhetoric and the actual character and fiction mythos are a second thought.

Again I stress, the actual virtue of the comments is irrelevant to me in this however I might or might not agree with it.

I find it takes me right out of the escapism I seek.
    Now for the million dollar question that so many love to avoid.

What books are doing that? Books you actually READ.

My local store (Well 45 minutes away but it is the best one around) Did well in this. He still sold online and if one of his regulars was looking for a book that he had he would go into his store get it and mail it. To be honest I would do digital as I am mostly digital anyway. I go to the store mostly to talk to others and look at back issues. But since he has a discord server for us and most if not all the titles I read going digital I wont be going there often. So the shop is doing very well but the experience is going to change a great deal for me.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Now for the million dollar question that so many love to avoid.

What books are doing that? Books you actually READ.
    Well read now, non of them, coz I dropped them

Ones that I started that I felt this was happening to the detriment of my enjoyment

Off the top of my head

Tom kings batman

Arron's avengers and Thor run on parts

Any cap book since cap 1 build up to cw2 and those since then that I dipped into

Secret empire of course and in particularly badly imo

Coates panther run especially after the first arc though I stuck with it to issue 14

Captain marvel post cw2 generally but I admit I only looked into this sporadically

Anything I read by BMB especially his MOS mini onwards

Almost everything I saw with X-Men for as long as I can remember, intermittently as I gave them a try

There's more, but I don't feel the need to give out a resume of books I lost interest in
    Last edited by kilderkin; 05-28-2020 at 06:08 PM.

The comic shops that survive this are the ones that are able to order effectively, go above and beyond taking care of their customers' need, eliminate waste, and diversify their product selection. The store owners who have been winging it and getting by are going to find out that they need to spend a lot more time planning and researching than before. The ones who adapt will survive. The "Comic Book Guy" type of owner won't cut it anymore.

Off the top of my head

Tom kings batman

In what way were either of these political?

The only thing close was Superman trying to create a federation of planets, and that's been a thing from the Legion books for decades.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

I have become increasingly irritated by writing which feels like it's trying to tell me how to think about the real world.

Irrespective of if I actually agree, I don't need to be preached at.

I don't mind politics or social comments within the in mythos world, but it has felt increasingly like some writers are just writing political social rhetoric and the actual character and fiction mythos are a second thought.

Same. I WANT to be entertained.

Story + Action + Beautiful art + "Oh **** moment/Did not see that coming" = Satisfying conclusion. Results? I'm think I'm gonna keep this instead of deleting it from my iPad.

**** your SJW antics + **** art.

Ultimate Member

Well read now, non of them, coz I dropped them

Ones that I started that I felt this was happening to the detriment of my enjoyment

Off the top of my head

Tom kings batman

Arron's avengers and Thor run on parts

Any cap book since cap 1 build up to cw2 and those since then that I dipped into

Secret empire of course and in particularly badly imo

Coates panther run especially after the first arc though I stuck with it to issue 14

Captain marvel post cw2 generally but I admit I only looked into this sporadically

Almost everything I saw with X-Men for as long as I can remember, intermittently as I gave them a try

There's more, but I don't feel the need to give out a resume of books I lost interest in

I will give you Cap America. Especially what was done to Rage.

I will give you the mess known as Black Panther under Coates. I left after issue 12.

I will give you BMB with Spider-man Civil War 2 issue-a certain part was.

Most of those others I have not read.

But Tom King's Batman?

Thank you for replying.

Astonishing Member

I will give you Cap America. Especially what was done to Rage.

I will give you the mess known as Black Panther under Coates. I left after issue 12.

I will give you BMB with Spider-man Civil War 2 issue-a certain part was.

Most of those others I have not read.

But Tom King's Batman?

Thank you for replying.
    Notice I said political and social issue

And I said that I felt the writing was effectively preachey

in kings batman I felt there was a lot of commentary aimed at the reader regarding social family structure and the value of things like married life, also about a few other things, it was a long run

And I stress it's not the in story mythos comments rather that they felt aimed at the reader not about the character

You might not agree, that's ok, you don't need to agree with me, space for all opinions

It doesn't matter who agrees with one person's appreciation of a story since that's a personal perspective

The fact you only really disagreed with me on one book of the ones you say you were familiar with suggests my view isn't an exclusive one

But then I'm not really trying to get others to agree with me nor am I looking for others to allow me my opinion
    Last edited by kilderkin; 05-29-2020 at 08:51 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Same. I WANT to be entertained.

Story + Action + Beautiful art + "Oh **** moment/Did not see that coming" = Satisfying conclusion. Results? I'm think I'm gonna keep this instead of deleting it from my iPad.

**** your SJW antics + **** art.
    I have no issues with social or political issues being handled within a story

What has become annoying is that much writing has felt as though it wasn't a story about characters I was reading but a propaganda piece telling me what to think

And again I stress, this doesn't comment on the virtues of any such commentary the writer may be making, I might entirety agree (I also might not)

It's all about delivery, if it feels like the writer is using a character and mythos to tell me what they think, rather than telling me what a character thinks, in my opinion, this is poor writing

There isn't any writer of a comicbook I have read who needs to teach me anything

I can come to my own conclusions

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    In what way were either of these political?

The only thing close was Superman trying to create a federation of planets, and that's been a thing from the Legion books for decades.
    I said political and social issues

I details kings batman elsewhere

As for BMB I did generalise about his work, for years I think his writing has been very preachey

Specifically with mos onwards and his superman in general I've felt it was using rogol zar ( such as refering to krytonolians as a plague ) as a mechanism for commenting on real world issues

This to me was explicitly preachey about real world issues

Your free to disagree of course, but that's not really relevant to how I read that story

Just as mine isn't really relevant to your enjoyment

Again, the virtues of the commentary I'm not commenting on, I may or may not entirely agree

I just don't need prracheyness on my escapism
    Last edited by kilderkin; 05-29-2020 at 11:04 AM.

Ultimate Member

It doesn't matter who agrees with one person's application of a story since that's a personal perspective

The fact you only really disagreed with me on one book of the ones you say you were familiar with suggests my view isn't an exclusive one

But then I'm not really trying to get others to agree with me nor am I looking for others to allow me my opinion
    I never read Tom King's run. And most of the time Batman is never mentioned in these topics unless it's a book like Seduction of the Gun.

Astonishing Member

I never read Tom King's run. And most of the time Batman is never mentioned in these topics unless it's a book like Seduction of the Gun.
    Don't even get me started on his Mr miracle

And batman has his own place even within the DC forums so...

My LCS defied the governor and sold this weeks comics. I agreed with him 100%. He has to make a living. I even bought the Stargirl TPB to help him out. Awesome trade so far! We are all using the side door. Now if I could just get my hair cut I would be a happy camper. Already hacked it up once. Would like a real one next time.