Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So What Happens to Comic Book Shops Now?

Comic shops had already been struggling, just because the fanbase has been so divided on the new direction of the comics industry over the last 4 or 5 years. Now we have a new struggle with Covid-19. Can our local CBS's survive this? I'd very much like everyone's input.

Where do we go from here?

If they're not doing mail order, they'll probably find customers have gone elsewhere. Those shops will be the first to go.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by beetheb View Post
    Comic shops had already been struggling, just because the fanbase has been so divided on the new direction of the comics industry over the last 4 or 5 years. Now we have a new struggle with Covid-19. Can our local CBS's survive this? I'd very much like everyone's input.

Where do we go from here?
    What is the new direction of the comics industry? Doesn’t seem that different, as digital hasn’t quite caught on...

Tried to reply a few times, perhaps I wasn't doing it right. The "Great Shift" in the comics industry. It mostly seems to be political. Between what comics used to be and what industry professionals want them to be now. If you honestly haven't noticed it, no point in me expounding on it.
    Last edited by beetheb; 05-28-2020 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Further expounding

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I think many comic shops will close but, hopefully, they'll hold on. The smartest shops have already diversified to some degree, but they'll be like theaters that this time is a struggle and some won't make it.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Ultimate Member

Some shops might close but I expect the vast majority to start running again.

Although, I think the major companies will lean slightly more into digital than before.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Many will close their doors permanently as with many small businesses. A lot of that has to do with decisions prior to the pandemic as well as the response of their governments. Many shops with a broad selection of interests, and mail/delivery services are doing fairly well despite the recent lack of new comics material. People want entertainment during lockdown, and many are willing to support locally. A comics shop with a good selection of TPBs, tabletop games, and toys can do well in their community. That won't necessarily last forever, but if you have the fortune to live somewhere where responsible actions were taken quickly enough there will be shops that survive until we reach a new normal. Assuming this isn't it already.

I'm guessing old school shops that haven't broadened their selection, and new shops that haven't had the chance to build up a strong clientele will be the most at risk of shutting down permanently. Which is unfortunate as a lot of newer shops have opened in the last year or so, more than the shops that closed their doors anyway.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Ultimate Member

Tried to reply a few times, perhaps I wasn't doing it right. The "Great Shift" in the comics industry. It mostly seems to be political. Between what comics used to be and what industry professionals want them to be now. If you honestly haven't noticed it, no point in me expounding on it.
    FYI comics have ALWAYS been political in some form for most books.

We do not need yet another thread attacking certain books-especially if one has not READ them.

Hiring POC or women or LGBTQ is not political.

Having books with POC, LGBTQ or women as leads is not political.

Having stories that expand POC, LGBTQ & women as more than background, sidekicks or death fodder is not political.

In regards to Marvel, based on what they're beginning to do by moving a lot of their lower selling books to digital, it seems like they're going to "cut the fat" so to speak and put out a reduced output, possibly putting more of a focus on the books that do see print.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

This is a false statement. For one thing, having been brought up on Stan Lee as editor of Marvel and reading Stan's soapbox over that period of time I can assure you that there was always a certain political point of view to Marvel Comics in particular.

Comic book sales have not been adversely affected by any perceived "Great Shift"...which makes me laugh frankly.

Link : Comichron's 2019 Sales Summary Half a billion dollars is a pretty healthy sign that interest is still there. Like all business, there's going to be a recovery period before they get back up to speed. But the comic shops won't be as hampered as restaurants are where they only have about have their table space being used to keep social distancing.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    FYI comics have ALWAYS been political in some form for most books.

We do not need yet another thread attacking certain books-especially if one has not READ them.

Hiring POC or women or LGBTQ is not political.

Having books with POC, LGBTQ or women as leads is not political.

Having stories that expand POC, LGBTQ & women as more than background, sidekicks or death fodder is not political.
    Agree 100%
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-28-2020 at 09:32 AM.

Mighty Member

is midtown comics open or not

The New York comic shop that also owns one of DC's new distributors? I assume so.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

So this is another thinly-veiled "Comics now have politics I disagree with now" thread?

My LCS is actually in pretty good shape considering he was shut down for 2 months He did a lot of online / eBay sales. Said he sent out like 650 packages during the 2 months.

Astonishing Member

I have become increasingly irritated by writing which feels like it's trying to tell me how to think about the real world.

Irrespective of if I actually agree, I don't need to be preached at.

I don't mind politics or social comments within the in mythos world, but it has felt increasingly like some writers are just writing political social rhetoric and the actual character and fiction mythos are a second thought.

Again I stress, the actual virtue of the comments is irrelevant to me in this however I might or might not agree with it.

I find it takes me right out of the escapism I seek.