Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you want Matt Ryan to reprise Constantine in HBO Max's Justice League Dark?

https://www.superherohype.com/tv/481...ue-dark-series

Matt Ryan is a fan-favorite actor, and became a hit for his portrayal of John Constantine throughout media. He physically fits what Constantine looks like, and has the mannerisms, voice and personality down. That, and he absolutely loves the role itself, wanting to play it when possible. As you can see from the above link, he wants to reprise him in Justice League Dark on HBO Max.

The only real issue he's ever had, however, is that he could only ever play the full-on R-rated Constantine when in animated form. In live-action, he's had to play a family-friendly Constantine, first in the short******d NBC series, and then in the Arrowverse after getting transplanted there. It's a bit sad to see that he can portray him well, but has to be severely restricted in live-action. Only in the DC animated movies has he gotten to portray the real Constantine.

But this is the perfect chance to correct that. Justice League Dark will be airing on HBO Max, which may be a wide-reaching service, but it's still HBO. They can be as R-rated as they want, and I'm sure that's the intention. If Matt Ryan gets to reprise Constantine here, he can finally go all-out and give us the absolute best portrayal of Constantine.

That's my take. But who knows, they might want a different actor to avoid confusion or whatever.

So I thought I'd ask what you guys think.

Absolutely! I love him in the role and LOVED his NBC series. It's a shame NBC didn't have the balls to continue it and quit unfortunate he wound up in Legends of Tomorrow. He is spot on perfect in the role.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Legends ruined him. I want to see someone else in the role now.

No offense to Ryan, he's been doing a fine job but I'd prefer some new blood in that role for the new show.

Astonishing Member

If he's ideal for the role, I don't see any reason why not.

Yeah- he deserves another shot.

Matt Ryan IS Constantine. So yes.

Absolutely. He is perfect.

Retired

I think it would be cool if Matt Ryan played Constantine as though he was from a different Earth than the Arrowverse version. So there would be subtle differences between the two iterations of the character. It would be one of those clever winks to the audience.

I have a hard time imaging anybody else as Constantine to be honest.

David Tennant, Paul Bettany, Daniel Craig, would all be miles above Ryan and I do enjoy him.

They need somebody bigger.

James McAvoy, Damian Lewis, Jude Law ... Jim Sturgess can do a Scouse accent.

I wanted it 15 years ago and still want it now but my number one choice is still Ewan McGregor.

Craig would be my number 2.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 05-30-2020 at 06:38 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Yeah well I doubt they would be able to afford somebody THIS high profile as a lead.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Honestly, no. I've always found his Constantine just a bit too mannered for its own good to the point that it often feels like he's someone pretending to be Constantine rather than Constantine himself. It's a weirdly unnatural performance from someone who I think probably is a good actor but who seems to be caught up in the particular mannerisms of this iconic character to the point that he just doesn't strike me as being particularly at ease in the role. Oddly, he has actually finally won me over on Legends because that whole series does have that big, cartoony energy that is punctuated by plenty of actual heart, even pathos. This is pretty much a perfect fit for his take on Constantine, even if I am somewhat ambivalent about having a character like Constantine on a show like Legends in the first place.

On the flip side, though, I do think his voice work in the latest Justice League Dark animated movie was actually much more natural than his live-action Constantine. At least from what I've seen.

Or, I don't know, maybe it's just that his accent always sounds completely wrong to me. I've always pictured him having either a scouse accent (which is what he is) or cockney. Welsh just sounds wrong.

And I really hate to say this because the dude is clearly very committed to the role and, to be fair, it may just be me considering just how many fans he has.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Love Ryan in the role, both animated and in live action. But I also really want Daniel Craig to play him at least once before he gets too old.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 05-31-2020 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I really want Daniel Craig to play him at least once before he gets too old.
    One of the OG Hellblazer writers suggested him before he got too into Bond and I could totally see it after that. IT wasn't during their run, though.

I'll have to find out who it was.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium