Thread: Nubia: Real One

Default Nubia: Real One

https://www.newsarama.com/50359-nubi...odern-era.html

"DC has released a preview of Nubia: Real One, an upcoming OGN from writer L.L. McKinney and artists Robyn Smith, Brie Henderson, and Bex Glendining that brings Silver Age Wonder Woman spin-off character Nubia into the modern era.

Originally, Nubia was introduced as Diana's replacement as Wonder Woman - her twin sister, separated at birth, who, because of the nature of the Amazons, looks exactly like Diana but is a black woman.

In the updated version, Nubia is a young woman trying to help people in her own community despite being told she doesn't fit the mold of a hero - culminating in a visit from her own hero, Wonder Woman, glimpsed in the preview.

Nubia: Real One is due out February 2, 2021"

Extraordinary Member

In case it wasn't clear this is part of the YA graphic novel line so not in the DCU.

Love the stars on her nails

So she's Nubia in name only? Wonderverse could really use some consistency with its characters instead of giving them hundreds different origin stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    So she's Nubia in name only? Wonderverse could really use some consistency with its characters instead of giving them hundreds different origin stories.
    Then again, this version is out of continuity so it's somewhat justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Then again, this version is out of continuity so it's somewhat justified.
    Yeah, but Nubia is not a well-defined character to begin with. Why give such a character an AU story before properly establishing who she actually is in the main continuity?

Yeah, but Nubia is not a well-defined character to begin with. Why give such a character an AU story before properly establishing who she actually is in the main continuity?
    Why not?

And who cares about the "main continuity". It far too seldom manages to say anything new or interesting about Wonder Woman. At least DC Young manages to do so with regularity.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Incredible Member

We can't have our cake and eat it, too. We can't complain that Wonder Woman characters aren't getting the media they need to be exposed, but then complain that we don't like the version of the character that is getting exposed. As others said, this is an out-of-continuity story, and hopefully, if it's popular, they can provide more exposure for the character and more incentives for writers to include her in in-universe stories, too.

I'm excited for this story, and I hope it's popular enough to warrant more stories for Wonder Woman and her characters.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Why not?

And who cares about the "main continuity". It far too seldom manages to say anything new or interesting about Wonder Woman. At least DC Young manages to do so with regularity.
    Well, I care. AUs can be fun, but I'd much rather see her main continuity better developed.

We can't have our cake and eat it, too.
    I just did

Though if this story leads to Nubia actually becoming a relevant character in WW mythos then I don't have a problem with it.

Well, I care. AUs can be fun, but I'd much rather see her main continuity better developed.

I just did

Though if this story leads to Nubia actually becoming a relevant character in WW mythos then I don't have a problem with it.
    Wasn’t she in the recent issues?

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    Wasn’t she in the recent issues?
    Yes, there was a random black Amazon named Nubia. More of an easter egg than a proper reintroduction of the character.

Yeah, but I think it's in bad taste to complain about a (potentially) good story just because it was not published in The Right Way.

The complaint shouldn't be that DC's main editorial line drops the ball, not about the good stories that do get published.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Yes, there was a random black Amazon named Nubia. More of an easter egg than a proper reintroduction of the character.
    But she’s still appearing? She was in today’s issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    But she’s still appearing? She was in today’s issue.
    Oh, she was? I haven't read it yet. That's good to hear.

Retired

The blurb isn't exactly right when it says: "Originally, Nubia was introduced as Diana's replacement as Wonder Woman - her twin sister, separated at birth, who, because of the nature of the Amazons, looks exactly like Diana but is a black woman."

There was never a suggestion that Nubia looks exactly like Diana but for being black. And Don Heck didn't draw her that way. Queen Hippolyta was instructed to make two statues, one light and one dark. Aphrodite breathed life into the two infants. Mars then stole one away--Nubia--and trained her in the art of war, to lead an army of men against Wonder Woman and the Amazons. Diana and Nubia clash, but Wonder Woman convinces her sister that the way of peace and love is better than the way of war and hate.

Since that origin depends on the two being made from clay, I guess if the clay origin isn't allowed then it's harder to explain how Diana and Nubia could be sisters--but not impossible.