Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Intermediary

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Nope. Like roku and not dropping them. WB had 2 years to get this deal done and didn't. Not changing my roku for their mess up.
    Microsoft didnt have any issues getting them on Xbox, so I dont see Rokus excuse

And HBO max just banned episodes of south park. This includes the family guy "cartoon wars" two parter.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/south-p...ad-1202969280/

Also gone with the wind is back with a 4 min warning.

The adventure time bmo special has been posted.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 06-25-2020 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    No it means waiting for same movie to come back over and over. This isn't netflix and it isn't 2010. It's outdated. Their is no point in taking movies you own off your app you own. Keep it on the blasted app if you own it.

Nope. Like roku and not dropping them. WB had 2 years to get this deal done and didn't. Not changing my roku for their mess up.
    When they sell the rights of an intellectual property to another service they get more if that service gets it exclusively for the period they purchase it.

By rotating their content they can get the subscription returns as well as the much higher license returns. Other production houses do the same. Back in January- march for example Amazon Prime in my region had every James bond film ever made on their service. At the moment all those movies are on Stan (another Australian streaming service. Each service pays well for such a franchise hoping it draws new subscritions thatbsee their other content and stick around. I for example recently got Stan because of a three month free trial courtesy of my phone carrier. Since my kids watch it more than Netflix and I've found it has shows like Dr Who, and Torchwood and comedies like Black adder and the IT crowd, I'll be keeping it and cutting back on another service (reduce my channels and Vod content on foxtel now).

Intermediary

most every platform rotates content - mostly content they dont own but its not a new thing

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMan View Post
    most every platform rotates content - mostly content they dont own but its not a new thing
    No, it's very much an old thing and something that newer, content owner focused streaming services like Disney + and CBS All Access tossed out which makes HBO Max such a head scratcher.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    You add more content to keep people subscribed, you don't take down content. It makes sense with Netflix as they don't own the properties so the had no control over licensing agreements but with a service created by the content owner? There just isn't a reason to play games with what's on, as they control it the rights.
    Some of that stuff you have be it HBO or Netflix or whoever is not exculsive to them.

How much of that stuff is on DVD or digital somewhere? let alone broadcast or digital or whoever tv?

Also how much of that stuff pops up on some free sites like tubitv? Who probably reaches way more folks than HBO because it's free.

Take Golden Girls We got at least 2 networks that rerun the mess out of that show. Why would I keep it on Hulu forever?

And of course I will take it off if I am trying to gert DVD sales of a complete unedited series set.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    No, it's very much an old thing and something that newer, content owner focused streaming services like Disney + and CBS All Access tossed out which makes HBO Max such a head scratcher.
    Well, each streamer has its strategy, obviously, but HBO Max using the older strategy of rotating content is probably one they're doing just for now until the service gets established.

WarnerMedia has such an extensive library of stuff that if they just threw the entire catalog online now and kept it there, it wouldn't create a call to action for a lot of people. The diehard fans would get it now, but the more casual TV/movie buff could feel they could wait until sometime down the road because the stuff will always be there.

If Disney+ didn't have to do it that way, then that might be attributable to the fact that they were the first big entertainment streamer, their name is better associated with their content in the minds of the public, and their library isn't as extensive, so they really can't rotate stuff as readily.

Maybe, if they one day add more of the 20th Century Fox stuff, you'll see Disney+ also rotating content. Right now, Disney+ has 7000 TV episodes and only 500 films total. That's a drop in the bucket compared to the Warner library.

Of course, I'd like to see everything available forever, but rotation gives HBO Max periodic promotable events, which keeps them in the entertainment news, and frequent jump on / call-to-action points for new subscribers. I can see that being more desirable for the service -- at least in these early years.

Amazing Member

HBO Max will have DC movies until December.

https://www.ign.com/articles/hbo-max...-squad-removed

But are removing the batman films.

Amazing Member

HBO Max might have its problems, but I've been using it more than Disney+.

Except for The Mandalorian, Disney Plus doesn't have anything for adults.

Simpsons has some pretty adult stuff in it.

New looney tunes has added more episodes to max.

Mask of the phantasm has moved to netflix.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/254...espite-hbo-max

The witches has moved to netflix. Mighty ducks 1 is now on disney plus but 2 and 3 are still on hbo max.

Disney getting called out for not doing like hbo max did with gone with the wind and it's 4min warning for song of the south.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/go...?ocid=msedgntp
    Last edited by Gaastra; 07-03-2020 at 02:54 PM.

batman v superman ultimate cut is replacing the big screen cut.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 07-05-2020 at 01:40 PM.

Astonishing Member

Titans should just move to HBO Max as well. DC Universe is being eaten up. CW would not be a fit for that show unless they want to water it down. And HBO Max seems like they get more money for show budgets unless Zach Synder eats up all the cash for his 'Cut'