Page 21 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Getting Up.../Dusting Your Suit Off.../Claiming "I Meant To Do That..."
    You could do that, or you could just admit you were wrong about the plans changing. When somebody tells you they’re going to sleep but they’ll see you tomorrow do you then claim they changed their minds about sleeping when you see them because, look, they’re awake now?

Doesn't mean that the plan never changed.
    Right, the fact that the plan never changed is what means that the plan never changed

If they intended to go right back to the "Classic Coke..." formula in 2022, the would have just said so. Which never happened before it went off in their face like an Acme kit.
    They did say so. They were very clear in their announcement that this was just for 2021 with the pandemic going on. The plan was always to go back to propping up the theater model once theaters became safe again. The only people who pretended that was not the case were prima-donna directors and production companies trying to justify their decision to feed people into a meat grinder to protect their “vision”/profits.

You really don’t get to invent a problem out of thin air and then gloat when it proves to be just as illusory as we all knew it was that you “prevented” it.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    I do wonder though, since HBO Max is the most expensive service currently, if they are actually on track to be profitable sooner than Disney+.
    I doubt it. HBO max is what like 3x more in cost? 5 vs 15? I think it's something like that. But last numbers I saw Disney plus was estimated at 87m subscribers and HBO Max at like 15m(there's like 30m people who get HBO max for free but haven't activated it.) That's almost 6x more, so unless Disney plus is spending ridiculously more on content... I just don't see it. Disney plus is also growing faster, that gap could continue to grow, in about 2weeks they will be getting a consistent stream of original MCU content. Also Disney has ssid they will be raising they're prices eventually. So the price gap is gonna narrow. Both have a long way to go before they even begin to nip at Netflix heels. Maybe all the big movies coming to HBO max this year will help the close the gap a bit in subscribers.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I doubt it. HBO max is what like 3x more in cost? 5 vs 15? I think it's something like that. But last numbers I saw Disney plus was estimated at 87m subscribers and HBO Max at like 15m(there's like 30m people who get HBO max for free but haven't activated it.) That's almost 6x more, so unless Disney plus is spending ridiculously more on content... I just don't see it. Disney plus is also growing faster, that gap could continue to grow, in about 2weeks they will be getting a consistent stream of original MCU content. Also Disney has ssid they will be raising they're prices eventually. So the price gap is gonna narrow. Both have a long way to go before they even begin to nip at Netflix heels. Maybe all the big movies coming to HBO max this year will help the close the gap a bit in subscribers.
    Yeah its so hard to get a good guess on how much money these services are actually making because they have free trials, bundles, deals with third parties, etc. That reminds me that I think a nice chunk of Disney + subscribers are Verizon customers. When Disney + first launched I believe those customers got it free for a full year. It would be nice to know paid vs non paid subscriber but that doesn't help marketing.

Max got the streaming rights for studio ghibili docu plus other anime films including weathering with you!

Smart move wb.

There are also doing a cyberpunk show based on one of the worst buggy games of last year.

Oops wb.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/7/22...-studio-ghibli

If you have HBOMax, Warrior, watch it, that is all.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Yeah its so hard to get a good guess on how much money these services are actually making because they have free trials, bundles, deals with third parties, etc. That reminds me that I think a nice chunk of Disney + subscribers are Verizon customers. When Disney + first launched I believe those customers got it free for a full year. It would be nice to know paid vs non paid subscriber but that doesn't help marketing.
    HUlu is free to Sprint users as well.

Looks like wb is really thinking about paying legendary the millions to put kong vs on hbo max and theatres at the same time!

Dune on the other hand---

https://deadline.com/2021/01/godzill...nt-1234667654/

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    If you have HBOMax, Warrior, watch it, that is all.
    Kind of a shame that it will probably wind up a casualty of how things are shaking out.

Kind of a shame that it will probably wind up a casualty of how things are shaking out.
    How do you mean? What things?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    How do you mean? What things?
    Kinda "Long Story Short..." -

The show was the last in scripted "Cinemax..." shows in the same way that Netflix is behind something like The Umbrella Acadamey.

From what I've read, it sounds like they will sort of shutter Cinemax as HBOMax starts up. That being the case, it seemed like Cinemax just finished production and aired what was already in motion. Best as I can tell, they greenlit committing to seeing the second season through but there is no deal past that.

Kinda "Dead On Paper With HBOMax Probably Having The Option To Try To Keep It Going..."

Yeah, I didn't expect anything past the 2nd season. But it has got a very good reception on Max, so maybe...
    HBOMax can't afford to pass on popular shows.

Kinda "Long Story Short..." -

The show was the last in scripted "Cinemax..." shows in the same way that Netflix is behind something like The Umbrella Acadamey.

From what I've read, it sounds like they will sort of shutter Cinemax as HBOMax starts up. That being the case, it seemed like Cinemax just finished production and aired what was already in motion. Best as I can tell, they greenlit committing to seeing the second season through but there is no deal past that.

Kinda "Dead On Paper With HBOMax Probably Having The Option To Try To Keep It Going..."
    I don't know what Warriors' budget is but HBOMax is certainly promoting it quite a bit right now (gotta wash the stink of WW 84 out somehow i guess.. although thats probably a bit harsh) Given their need for new content i would think if the show is well-received they would want to keep it going.

I haven't checked it out myself yet, though.

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    I don't know what Warriors' budget is but HBOMax is certainly promoting it quite a bit right now (gotta wash the stink of WW 84 out somehow i guess.. although thats probably a bit harsh) Given their need for new content i would think if the show is well-received they would want to keep it going.

I haven't checked it out myself yet, though.
    First and foremost, I'd suggest watching it if you get the chance. Really solid show, and it's nice to see the guy behind it ultimately get something like a fair shake decades later.

As for HBOMax running with anything past that second season? Who knows?

While I'd agree that it is a "No-Brainer..." on paper? I'm not sure how much they prioritize putting the old "Cinemax..." brand in the rear view mirror over running with a show that would seem to have obvious potential.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Looks like wb is really thinking about paying legendary the millions to put kong vs on hbo max and theatres at the same time!

Dune on the other hand---

https://deadline.com/2021/01/godzill...nt-1234667654/
    Okay, so this looks to be getting quite expensive for HBO Max imo. From a financial point of view this doesn't seem profitable or sustainable. There are some questions still out:

1. Is the $225 million dollars the only cost
    2. For other films where HBO Max is paying a considerable fee, how much is that fee?

If HBO Max has to shelve out almost $200 million for each movie (Not to mention backend compensation for directors
    actors, etc) , how do they not go bankrupt because that's billions of dollars that aren't recouped through signups.

Okay, so this looks to be getting quite expensive for HBO Max imo. From a financial point of view this doesn't seem profitable or sustainable. There are some questions still out:

1. Is the $225 million dollars the only cost
    2. For other films where HBO Max is paying a considerable fee, how much is that fee?

If HBO Max has to shelve out almost $200 million for each movie (Not to mention backend compensation for directors
    actors, etc) , how do they not go bankrupt because that's billions of dollars that aren't recouped through signups.
    No clue what their overhead is but AT&T owns WB/HBO and are the big pushers for HBOMax and the company is worth 200 Billion so a few billion loss in the short run doesn't seem bad if they can make HBOMax a player in Streaming in the future.