Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    WB putting their entire movie slate on HBO Max is another death nail to theaters.
    While I don't usually like to be a "Usage..."/"Grammar..." gremlin, I believe you might have meant "Death Knell..."?

Past that, it feels a lot like it could be an early in the game "All In..." bet based on desperation.

They have almost no content to really justify the cost of the service all by it's lonesome, and almost no upcoming content that would justify the cost of the service either.

While it might eventually?

It's got to actually thrive, to some degree, to make it to that eventuality.

Seems like this might be the above "All In..." bet based on being in that desperate spot.

Could go off in their face like an Acme kit.

As for theaters...

It's an issue of it's own. I don't think that the folks who are sold on the theater as the preferred way to see a film just instantly vanish because the landscape has changed.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 12-04-2020 at 03:49 AM.

legendary pictures and other partners was not told about this from wb and did not give the ok to put godzilla vs kong and other films on max! Uh-oh. This could get messy!

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1334656428175462408

Astonishing Member
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 12-07-2020 at 01:48 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

I wonder if WB knew this could happen.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Old men trying to fight the future.

Astonishing Member

Chris Nolan reacts to the news of Warners moving their entire 2021 slate to HBO Max.

People have begun to question what long-term repercussions this release strategy could have on the industry. Where is your head at with that right now?

“Nolan: Long-term, I think all of the studios know that the movie theater experience will bounce back and be a very important part of the ecosystem long-term. What you have right now in our business is a lot of the use of the pandemic as an excuse for sort of grappling for short-term advantage. And it's really unfortunate. It's not the way to do business and it's not the best thing for the health of our industry. But when the theaters are back and people are going back to the movies, when the vaccine has been rolled out and there's an appropriate health response from the federal government, I'm very bullish on the long-term prospects of the industry. People love going to the movies and they're going to get to go again.”
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 12-07-2020 at 05:14 PM.

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    I wonder if WB knew this could happen.
    I'd have to think they talked to their lawyers about how this would affect/upset various entities depending on how the profit payout was structured on theatrical v home release.

Intermediary

Nobody cares Chris

nobody cares

Astonishing Member

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    *Yells in hard to understand noises*

Getting tired listening to Chris Nolan as the voice for the status quo.

I'd have more sympathy for Nolan if his decisions hadn't helped lead to this. He was the one who was adamant that Tenent needed to come out right now even though it was clear the pandemic was still a major concern, and when it bombed despite all the hype, it clearly rattled the studio and led them to ultimately choose streaming over theaters. This is absolutely on WB and AT&T's shoulders, but Nolan is acting like he had no part in it.

Anyway, sounds like stars and directors are pissed right now.

Last week, when Jason Kilar, WarnerMedia’s chief executive, announced that 17 more Warner Bros. movies would each roll out on HBO Max and in theaters à la “Wonder Woman 1984,” talent was handled in a very different manner. To prevent the news of the 17-movie shift from leaking (and to make the move speedily rather than get mired in the expected blowback), WarnerMedia kept the major agencies and talent management companies in the dark until roughly 90 minutes before issuing a news release. Even some Warner Bros. executives had little warning.

The surprise move left agencies on a war footing. Representatives for major Warner Bros. stars like Denzel Washington, Margot Robbie, Will Smith, Keanu Reeves, Hugh Jackman and Angelina Jolie wanted to know why their clients had been treated in a lesser manner than Ms. Gadot. Talk of a Warner Bros. boycott began circulating inside the Directors Guild of America. A partner at one talent agency spent part of the weekend meeting with litigators. Some people started to angrily refer to the studio as Former Bros.
    WarnerMedia’s decision to attack without warning may be understandable given the blowback that was foreseeable. But to many insiders, blindsiding talent and their reps seemed like an insult. Sources say studio president Courtenay Valenti was the only Warner exec who dared to speak up about the need to reach out to key creative partners, but she was quickly hushed.

Much of this outrage will surely be mitigated if WarnerMedia is prepared to write big checks to all the profit participants in the films that have been moved. “It’s a critical time for them, at the highest level, to make this right with the talent,” says one rep. But agents say the guidance that’s been provided so far suggests that the company isn’t planning to offer what is now called "Wonder Woman money," in honor of the rich deal the studio gave profit participants in Wonder Woman 1984 when that film was moved to HBO Max.

WarnerMedia had to shovel tens of millions at Gal Godot and the other key players because the company wants a third in the series. But that sets the bar high. Sources say even Suicide Squad director James Gunn, who is platform-agnostic, was not pleased when the studio followed its shocking announcement by floating a lackluster formula for compensating him and other profit participants in the film.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...rner-bros-plan

Also--

The other companies that finance Warners movies, Village Roadshow and Bron, are also said to be aggrieved parties that might end up going to court.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...rner-bros-plan