Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

I think people don't want this because it is a change to the status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    I think people don't want this because it is a change to the status quo.
    Negative.

You have folks who have signed contracts governing how they get paid, and someone just stepped in and messed with those contracts without actually tearing them up.

Anyone would rightfully be angry under those circumstances.

And the roku talks may have just stalled!

https://www.slashfilm.com/hbo-max-on-roku-stalemate/

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Negative.

You have folks who have signed contracts governing how they get paid, and someone just stepped in and messed with those contracts without actually tearing them up.

Anyone would rightfully be angry under those circumstances.
    I mean regardless of this drama this is a major shift in media releasing.

Incredible Member

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/am...rner-bros-plan

When you take the emotion out of Nolan's statement he makes some very legitimate points. This may sound bad but I don't think the right people were in the room to say "hey this will affect us legally, financially, and our business relationships". I think someone thought it was a good idea without going through the proper motions and pulled the trigger prematurely. This will be embarrassing because I bet a lot of these films don't release on HBO Max now.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/am...rner-bros-plan

When you take the emotion out of Nolan's statement he makes some very legitimate points. This may sound bad but I don't think the right people were in the room to say "hey this will affect us legally, financially, and our business relationships". I think someone thought it was a good idea without going through the proper motions and pulled the trigger prematurely. This will be embarrassing because I bet a lot of these films don't release on HBO Max now.
    If they can't get most of these films WB will just kill the app.

And HBOMax was supposed to be a serious player in streaming.

No telling how this actually goes once the rubber meets the road.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

To be honest this might have saved Disney from looking to be the bad guys introducing this - they’ll likely opt for the Premier moment for the majority and be on a system far more accessible to the wider world and audiences.

Niffleheim

What is the cap you put (less than $10 or more than $10) on yourself to subscribing to a streaming service? I find i can't see myself subscribing monthly to HBO Max but I will occasionally when there is a big budget movie premiering

Incredible Member

I missed this part reading the article I pasted in an earlier post but its pretty critical:

WarnerMedia had to shovel tens of millions at Gal Godot and the other key players because the company wants a third in the series.

https://www.cbr.com/gal-gadot-patty-...-max-deal/amp/

So pretty much they are paying even more money for this. This is stupid especially when the whole reason was tgey needed some money over no money. The more details that come out the more someone needs to be slapped for this decision.

Another important point from the article is that Warner could get sued for self dealing because they blocked the Netflix deal when legendary paid for 75% of the movie.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 12-08-2020 at 05:19 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    To be honest this might have saved Disney from looking to be the bad guys introducing this - they’ll likely opt for the Premier moment for the majority and be on a system far more accessible to the wider world and audiences.
    I don't think Disney was going to do this first. One of thie things we need to remember is the additional money they gain when a film comes out. Licensing, merchandise, experience are things that they may make more money off of than we realize. Specifically if the experience is taken out of movies how does it affect the profit in other areas? I'm going to guess its a negative affect and for Disney that may be a lot of $$$ based on their core audience and content. How many little girls bought dresses to be a princess for opening weekend, how many little boys bought Marvel costumes for seeing the movie in theaters?

If I am realistic, I am more likely to buy my kid more merchandise if we are going to the theater and that's because the level of excitement is different than viewing a movie at home.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 12-08-2020 at 05:32 AM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The actors are pissed about this move as it effects how they get paid

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/07/b...ovies-pay.html

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

HBO Max deal appears to have been a point where it could kill theater chains worse (there is already problems with many right now in 2020) and now this. I plan to try and go see Wonder Woman 1984 in theaters. But this is just beyond silly to do as a move. Because it could tank an industry. I blame this totally on AT&T and the executives there for not knowing what the **** they are doing.

The faster they go damn broke and have to sell the company , the better DC Comics and WB will be in the end.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Retired

I have no dog in this fight, but I think the money people at Warner Media are being more realistic about the near future than the film industry people. Warner Media looks at the mess the United States is in and doesn't see a clear path to victory for the theatrical distribution model. The people in the film industry just want things to be how they'd like them to be and they hope so much that they think if they clap long enough Tinkerbell will come back to life. But Tink died from the virus and she's not coming back.

Extraordinary Member

It’s likely not permanent. Most studios don’t own a streaming service nor will they a successful one. Theaters will always be economically better for studios. WB risks boxing themselves into bad negotiations when things get back to normal.

WB also didn’t run this by employees or partners and it effected their pay