Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    1. It’s not an either or. They could simply wait until after the pandemic for a lot of these. WB only put up 25% of Dune. They don’t need to force the company who put up most of the money to sacrifice the profits and viability of the franchise for HBO Max.

2. Also it’s not artificially inflated. Theaters will always be more preferred because they bring in more money. No studio would go against it if given the chance. The industry is built on that. There’s a reason Netflix (the most successful service by a significant margin) isn’t releasing multiple $100 million films each year. Not viable
    1. True, they could shelve these films for years until all excitement and enthusiasm for them has died and they have to compete with more and better films. This is actually the way I would have preferred they had done it. I literally have no horse in the "let them die in theaters or put them on a place where people will watch them" race.

2. Great, then there's no need for all the hand wringing about "the theatrical experience" that people like Christopher Nolan are doing

"Basics 101..." strikes again -

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/wo...hbo-max-model/

Wonder Woman 1984 Director Patty Jenkins Unsure About Third Movie After HBO Max Move
    "We'll see what happens. I really don't know," Jenkins told The New York Times when asked if a third Wonder Woman might follow Rogue Squadron, her Star Wars feature film just announced at Disney-owned Lucasfilm. "I know that I'd love to do the third one if the circumstances were right and there was still a theatrical model possible. I don't know that I would if there wasn't."
    "I would like to believe that it is temporary, but I'm not sure I do. But I'll tell you, some studio's going to go back to the traditional model and cause tremendous upheaval in the industry, because every great filmmaker is going to go work there," Jenkins said. "And the studios that make this radical change [of moving their theatrical releases to a streaming service], particularly without consulting the artists, will end up with a very empty slate of quality filmmakers working there."

Huh, rich people still don't care about anybody but themselves. Surprising

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Now what you not gone do is talk about Patty Jenkins. Considering she had to fight for an equal salary for doing WW84 even though she had the success of Monster and WW and WB had the audacity to try an pay her less than her male counterparts who have done less. It sounds like she's just now getting the pay she deserves based on the current market for directors.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    Now what you not gone do is talk about Patty Jenkins. Considering she had to fight for an equal salary for doing WW84 even though she had the success of Monster and WW and WB had the audacity to try an pay her less than her male counterparts who have done less. It sounds like she's just now getting the pay she deserves based on the current market for directors.
    Yeah, no, that part is great but the people she's talking about who care more about their "art" and propping up the theater model that they obviously see as faulty than anybody else.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    I don't think waiting for all these films is an option for them now
    It is. The studio that literally put up 75% of the budget and all the actors and directors that have backend contracts want to wait and the studio that only put up 25% and wants to prop up their streaming services is the only one pushing for it.

Extraordinary Member

If theaters went down do you know how many middle class people across multiple industries lose jobs?

Plus people who work at parking, make and ship movie posters to the theatres, work at the food stands, help clean the movies theatres, paperwork for the theatres, drivers who brings the drinks and food to the theatres, side stores that are next to the theatres or malls that need the theatres. (our amc is in the heart of the mall and amc is what is keeping it from closing! alot of small stores hanging on due to amc.)

There are alot of people with jobs tied to theatres.

There is more money to be made in movie theatres than in streaming. The issue is that WB didn't know if movie theatres would exist next year. This is more to due with government mismanagement of the virus than WB trying to destroy movie theatres.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

I think you missed the point. It wasn't just the money. It was the fact that WB arbitrarily made this decision and did not consult any of the other affected parties. Yes, those parties all had contracts that would pay out a lot more if the movie did well in theaters, but they should have been given the chance to negotiate with WB for compensation, like Patty Jenkins and Gal Gadot were able to do. Instead, WB called them shortly before they made the announcement, gave them no chance to negotiate, and expected them all to roll over.

I'm not surprised that Jenkins wouldn't want to work with them again. Who's to say they wouldn't screw her over next time?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Plus people who work at parking, make and ship movie posters to the theatres, work at the food stands, help clean the movies theatres, paperwork for the theatres, drivers who brings the drinks and food to the theatres, side stores that are next to the theatres or malls that need the theatres. (our amc is in the heart of the mall and amc is what is keeping it from closing! alot of small stores hanging on due to amc.)

There are alot of people with jobs tied to theatres.
    Then think of studios that will lose massive revenue and have to make cuts and streamline production. Then think of every vendor that lives off Hollywood.

Then think about candy companies that pretty much make a significant percentage of revenue on shipping to theaters in bulk every few weeks. That’s going to cost jobs.

You don’t just let an industry die like that

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Then think of studios that will lose massive revenue and have to make cuts and streamline production. Then think of every vendor that lives off Hollywood.

Then think about candy companies that pretty much make a significant percentage of revenue on shipping to theaters in bulk every few weeks. That’s going to cost jobs.

You don’t just let an industry die like that
    When the demand for an industry dries up, it dies. The video rental industry is dead, nobody stood up for Blockbuster. If the only reason it's alive is because of an artificial scarcity applied by the rich in order to maximize their profits, I don't see a reason to defend it.

And as many have pointed out earlier in this thread, it isn't the artificial scarcity that keeps the industry alive anyways, they're just attached to it because it increases their profit margins

When the demand for an industry dries up, it dies. The video rental industry is dead, nobody stood up for Blockbuster. If the only reason it's alive is because of an artificial scarcity applied by the rich in order to maximize their profits, I don't see a reason to defend it.

And as many have pointed out earlier in this thread, it isn't the artificial scarcity that keeps the industry alive anyways, they're just attached to it because it increases their profit margins
    Why is profits a Bad Thing? You think AT&T is having WB put all their 2021 films even potential billion franchises on HBOMAX for any other reason than to get new subscribers to HBOMAX and increase their profits?

When the demand for an industry dries up, it dies. The video rental industry is dead, nobody stood up for Blockbuster.
    There are some people in Bend, Oregon that would disagree with you.

Meanwhile, it looks like Dune will go back to premiering exclusively in theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Why is profits a Bad Thing? You think AT&T is having WB put all their 2021 films even potential billion franchises on HBOMAX for any other reason than to get new subscribers to HBOMAX and increase their profits?
    Profits aren't bad. Profits that exist because you have a product people want to buy are great. Profits that exist because you have a product people want that you are artificially propping up via an archaic and outdated system are not. Caping for the latter during a pandemic where said outdated system they're propping up would literally kill people is abhorrent.

Once we get this pandemic under control I'll be happy to entertain all of the arguments about the sacrosanct nature of the theater system and how even though you talk a lot about how people really enjoy it it'll nonetheless collapse completely the moment people have a second option, but right now it is completely and totally indefensible.