Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    We won't know if Wonder Woman 1984 is a bust until January or February when AT&T has to reveal if they got a couple million subscribers in December. If they did get a huge number of new subscribers to the service at $14.99 , then it paid off very well. But if the numbers aren't good the strategy failed.
    It still would be hard to tell. Remember with streaming they don’t have to give half box office to the theaters. Even if the streaming numbers look lower than what the normal box office would be, that doesn’t mean they lost money with streaming.

We won't know if Wonder Woman 1984 is a bust until January or February when AT&T has to reveal if they got a couple million subscribers in December. If they did get a huge number of new subscribers to the service at $14.99 , then it paid off very well. But if the numbers aren't good the strategy failed.
    You can say it was a success because seeing how it is being reviewed and received there is no way Wonder Woman 1984 would have done better than the first one in the theaters and it might have been bad enough to lose money in theaters. And a pure theater release wouldn't have gone good right now in this climate. WB did make the best of a bad situation but studios undercut them I can't wait to see some of these movies they are forcing to be release as pure theater outing flop in the theater. I get why the studios are mad but they are overestimating how quickly the industry is going to bounce back.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-26-2020 at 04:42 PM.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    You can say it was a success because seeing how it is being reviewed and received there is no way Wonder Woman 1984 would have done better than the first one in the theaters and it might have been bad enough to lose money in theaters. And a pure theater release wouldn't have gone good right now in this climate. WB did make the best of a bad situation but studios undercut them I can't wait to see some of these movies they are forcing to be release as pure theater outing flop in the theater. I get why the studios are mad but they are overestimating how quickly the industry is going to bounce back.
    Another option would have been to do a Marvel and push back to 2021 right now. And the idea is they need to grow this streaming service and offering a big blockbuster is part of it. Yes its true theaters aren't where they can be fully operational profit wise and its likely WW 1984 would have opened at #1 but never have done really well given how theaters are currently.

But the idea of deciding to gear an entire slate of big blockbuster films around a streaming service is to gain more and more people. To make Hollywood actors and companies (who they have pissed off with this) see this is a viable model and can do great. Its a big ?? right now. At last check HBO Max as an app had 28-38 million subscribers. They need to at least gain a lot to show this worked. (because they had to pay massive to Gadot for a future sequel and keep her happy)
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Another option would have been to do a Marvel and push back to 2021 right now. And the idea is they need to grow this streaming service and offering a big blockbuster is part of it. Yes its true theaters aren't where they can be fully operational profit wise and its likely WW 1984 would have opened at #1 but never have done really well given how theaters are currently.

But the idea of deciding to gear an entire slate of big blockbuster films around a streaming service is to gain more and more people. To make Hollywood actors and companies (who they have pissed off with this) see this is a viable model and can do great. Its a big ?? right now. At last check HBO Max as an app had 28-38 million subscribers. They need to at least gain a lot to show this worked. (because they had to pay massive to Gadot for a future sequel and keep her happy)
    You can't keep sitting movies because you have whole slate of new movies that need to be release and you have only so much space to release in theatrical windows and companies after sitting nearly a year without releasing movies also need some positive cash flow as well. It was not a bad plan you know that almost every film you try to release this is going to take a loss.And make no mistake they HAVE to release some of these movies. So you use the slate of movies to sure up and make a profit on streaming end. Of course the small studios/producers/development companies don't like the idea because the plan ensure that they lose money and they have to optimistic that things will bounce back at some point this year. Plus this plan also hurts the future of the industry. But WB and say Legendary are not the same thing for example. WB wins something is release on streaming, The smaller company not so much.

Wonder Woman is sitting at 38 million worldwide for 200 million dollar budget, Tenet is sitting at 383 million. So we have reason to believe that Wonder Woman wouldn't perform much better in a pure theater release. Regardless of how much people sign to HBOMAX this is a win for WB who is making something out nothing.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-26-2020 at 11:26 PM.

Extraordinary Member

You can't keep sitting movies because you have whole slate of new movies that need to be release and you have only so much space to release in theatrical windows and companies after sitting nearly a year without releasing movies also need some positive cash flow as well. It was not a bad plan you know that almost every film you try to release this is going to take a loss.And make no mistake they HAVE to release some of these movies. So you use the slate of movies to sure up and make a profit on streaming end. Of course the small studios/producers/development companies don't like the idea because the plan ensure that they lose money and they have to optimistic that things will bounce back at some point this year. Plus this plan also hurts the future of the industry. But WB and say Legendary are not the same thing for example. WB wins something is release on streaming, The smaller company not so much.

Wonder Woman is sitting at 38 million worldwide for 200 million dollar budget, Tenet is sitting at 383 million. So we have reason to believe that Wonder Woman wouldn't perform much better in a pure theater release. Regardless of how much people sign to HBOMAX this is a win for WB who is making something out nothing.
    You totally can. You don't need to constantly churn out films. Alot of studios are going to unload what they have before ramping up productions on other films.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    It still would be hard to tell. Remember with streaming they don’t have to give half box office to the theaters. Even if the streaming numbers look lower than what the normal box office would be, that doesn’t mean they lost money with streaming.
    They don't look lower.

Here is the actual reality. -

https://deadline.com/2017/06/wonder-...ng-1202106462/

‘Wonder Woman’ Breaks Glass Ceiling For Female Directors & Stomps On ‘Iron Man’ With $103.1M Debut – Monday AM Update
    Even if you split that 50/50 with theaters, you are still well above the number that this film is going to take in on it's opening weekend.

Never mind the folks who will no longer be HBOMax subscribers come January.

Never mind that they were counting on an opening weekend closer sixty million instead of close to thirty-nine million.

There's nothing wrong with being able to be honest with yourself about what all of this adds up to.

Incredible Member

WB Is Planning More HBO Max Spinoff Series for DC Films

The future of Warner Bros.' DC Films slate is set to go into some interesting directions in the coming years, with a lot of highly-anticipated blockbusters scheduled between now and 2024. With the company fully embracing a live-action cinematic multiverse - which allows characters and films to coexist outside of one shared continuity - there's set to be a lot of creativity and surprising things announced in the coming years. According to a new report from The New York Times, which profiles DC Films president Walter Hamada, that is set to involve more TV spinoffs of popular DC films. The report claims that DC Films will now "work with filmmakers to develop movie offshoots — TV series that will run on HBO Max and interconnect with their big-screen endeavors"

“With every movie that we’re looking at now, we are thinking, ‘What’s the potential Max spinoff?’” Hamada explained.

Fans have already gotten to see an inkling of what that could entail, with two TV spinoffs of upcoming DC films already announced. This includes Peacemaker, a spinoff of The Suicide Squad that is set to reunite star John Cena and writer-director James Gunn. There's also a Gotham PD spinoff of The Batman, the upcoming film that will offer Matt Reeves' unique take on Gotham City.

Beyond that, there are a lot of potential spinoffs that fans have expressed a desire to want to see -- including a proper sequel series to this year's Birds of Prey, or a solo series spinning out Jurnee Smollett's Black Canary. There's also the Amazons-themed Wonder Woman spinoff, something that arguably could be more likely after what was set up in this weekend's Wonder Woman 1984. Even films that have yet to start production have already courted speculation about a potential spinoff, with Black Adam's Hawkman and the Justice Society of America being a good possibility. To an extent, the reverse situation could even be possible, as there's no saying that HBO Max's planned Green Lantern and Strange Adventures TV series couldn't also help set up a movie.

While there's no telling exactly what the future could hold for DC Films' TV spinoffs, the possibility of them is definitely exciting. Compared to what the Marvel Cinematic Universe clearly has planned - which includes several years worth of interconnected movies and Disney+ TV shows - the idea of having DC shows that are accessible to wider audiences while also playing off of the company's hit movies could be promising.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    They don't look lower.

Here is the actual reality. -

https://deadline.com/2017/06/wonder-...ng-1202106462/

Even if you split that 50/50 with theaters, you are still well above the number that this film is going to take in on it's opening weekend.

Never mind the folks who will no longer be HBOMax subscribers come January.
    I don’t know what this article about the first WW has to do with this movie.

HBOMax will lose some subscribers in January, but not all, most will stay. So it’s a win win for WB

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    I don’t know what this article about the first WW has to do with this movie.

HBOMax will lose some subscribers in January, but not all, most will stay. So it’s a win win for WB
    Sure it does.

Even accounting for the 50/50 split with theaters, the still came out with less money opening weekend with this film.

Not "Win..."/"Win..."

Past that, we don't have anything concrete that suggest "Most..." folks who subscribed for the current "Wonder Woman..." film will remain subscribers.

Astonishing Member

I think a lot of people got the 6 month deal. But when you do streaming you also have a lot of pirated copies going out sooner too. There is no way WW84 is going to make any money in the short term.

That said given the luke warm reception, I don't think it might be a bad thing. There are way less disappointed people who paid if they paid $8, but if they paid $40 at the theater, they'd be more piss and swear off the 3rd film, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I think a lot of people got the 6 month deal. But when you do streaming you also have a lot of pirated copies going out sooner too. There is no way WW84 is going to make any money in the short term..
    What do you consider making money? People signing up for HBOmax because of WW84 isn't that making money? People staying on after isn't that making money? The Math and goals is different once streaming is involved.

Anyways Streaming about retention not sales. Success and failure for streaming movie is determined by how many people stay on as a continuing customer and how many months after those people stay with service. They don't need everyone who subbed to stay they are trying to get as much 12 month subs people or permanent subs people as possible. Streaming is about consistent growth forward.90 million people could sign up and they keep only 1 million after they would still be happy if those people are permanent customers. I guess it is time for some math. The last number I saw 28 million subs for HBOMax

28 million subs at 14.99= 419,720,000
    419,720,000 x 12= 5,036,640,000

The Dream number looks to be about 70 million subs

70 million subs at 14.99=1,049,300,000
    1,049,300,000 x 12=12,591,600,000

Disney did about 13 Billion off it is movies in one year and that was record breaking year for them. I am trying to find normal median year for a movie studio and I came across this Warner Bros made 5.6 Billion in ticket sales in 2018, Disney had 7.6 Billion in 2018. If you are looking at HBOmax as studio at its current number of 28 million subs for a whole year would nearly match Warner Brother best year in ticket sales. I think people sleep on how much money streaming brings in to a company.

Obviously revenue is different from profit
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-29-2020 at 03:04 AM.

BANNED

A lot of this studios will announce hundreds of project but only a few will actually get made. I watched someone saying that out of the 10 tv Disney plus project Disney has announced for star wars maybe only 4 will get made.

The thing is DC/WB are not having the best time with WW 84, They need this type of news to keep momentum.

What do you consider making money? People signing up for HBOmax because of WW84 isn't that making money? People staying on after isn't that making money? The Math and goals is different once streaming is involved.

Anyways Streaming about retention not sales. Success and failure for streaming movie is determined by how many people stay on as a continuing customer and how many months after those people stay with service. They don't need everyone who subbed to stay they are trying to get as much 12 month subs people or permanent subs people as possible. Streaming is about consistent growth forward.90 million people could sign up and they keep only 1 million after they would still be happy if those people are permanent customers. I guess it is time for some math. The last number I saw 28 million subs for HBOMax

28 million subs at 14.99= 419,720,000
    419,720,000 x 12= 5,036,640,000

The Dream number looks to be about 70 million subs

70 million subs at 14.99=1,049,300,000
    1,049,300,000 x 12=12,591,600,000

Disney did about 13 Billion off it is movies in one year and that was record breaking year for them. I am trying to find normal median year for a movie studio and I came across this Warner Bros made 5.6 Billion in ticket sales in 2018, Disney had 7.6 Billion in 2018. If you are looking at HBOmax as studio at its current number of 28 million subs for a whole year would nearly match Warner Brother best year in ticket sales. I think people sleep on how much money streaming brings in to a company.

Obviously revenue is different from profit
    You don't see the potential issue with the numbers there?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    You don't see the potential issue with the numbers there?
    Not really I like said 5.6 billion is Warner Bros best year, At 28 million subs they would match the best year if those numbers are sustain.

I went look it up HBOmax is about 38 million subs now, They added about 12 million subs in 3rd financial quarter of this year. Like I said it is about growth and retention. I don't see the problem with numbers as yet(unless you are talking about my math). Netflix is at 167 million, Disney is at 60 million, HBO is at 38 million.There is still room for growth right now(I believe they are still not Roku or Firestick, and some place international) it might be a problem in a year or two if the numbers don't grow more and in reading the article their goal is 50 million subs in 2025.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-29-2020 at 04:25 AM.