Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default How would you repackage the Matches Malone identity?

It’s been a while since we’ve seen our favorite high-functioning pyro-maniac undercover ID for Batman. When was the last time we saw him, anyway?

I’ve been thinking a good way to repackage him would be as a hoodlum ostensibly operating as a mid-level fence for stolen goods; the kind of underworld job that would excuse the kind of connections that Bruce would want to cultivate, maintain a low enough profile for no one to ask too many questions, and something where Bruce’s wealth would allow him to maintain the cover.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

How about a run where Batman abandons the Bruce for a long stretch and Bruce assume the Matches Malone identity as his "permanent" alter-ego. Of course things would return to normal before the next writer comes aboard but it could lead to some interesting stories, shake things up a bit.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    How about a run where Batman abandons the Bruce for a long stretch and Bruce assume the Matches Malone identity as his "permanent" alter-ego. Of course things would return to normal before the next writer comes aboard but it could lead to some interesting stories, shake things up a bit.
    If I remember correctly, the Matches identity was originally used as replacement while Bruce Wayne’s death was faked. I wouldn’t be surprised if they used the Matches identity during the Bruce Wayne: Fugitive storyline, but I don’t have any popping up at the top of my head.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    This is EXACTLY what I was coming in to say.

It could be his other other alter ego; just like how he has Zur-En-Arrh he also has Matches if he really needs to go underground.

I wish we had more stories where Bruce goes into deep cover

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    It’s been a while since we’ve seen our favorite high-functioning pyro-maniac undercover ID for Batman. When was the last time we saw him, anyway?

I’ve been thinking a good way to repackage him would be as a hoodlum ostensibly operating as a mid-level fence for stolen goods; the kind of underworld job that would excuse the kind of connections that Bruce would want to cultivate, maintain a low enough profile for no one to ask too many questions, and something where Bruce’s wealth would allow him to maintain the cover.
    The last time he had a big role was in Detective Comics New52 by the excellent Francis Manapul & Brian Buccellato in the Icarus/Anarky storyline.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Personally I like Matches the way he is. There's no need for an update. Just use him more often.

Astonishing Member

What I'd really like to see is Matches Malone in an adaptation - something I don't think has been done before.

I think he'd fit in with Matt Reeves more noir-ish detective driven version of Batman. Would love to see Pattison playing "Matches".

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    What I'd really like to see is Matches Malone in an adaptation - something I don't think has been done before.

I think he'd fit in with Matt Reeves more noir-ish detective driven version of Batman. Would love to see Pattison playing "Matches".
    In a movie, it hasn't been done. But in animated shows yes.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post

Matches has popped up a few times in cartoons. The only time he appears in live-action was on Gotham where the actual Matches Malone was the guy who killed the Wayne's.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Batman should have multiple identities he slips into.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Batman should have multiple identities he slips into.
    Dini gave him a prosthetic/grappling-hook-handed alias named Lefty Knox, who got found out by Doctor Aesop when he spoiled one too many heists as lookout.

Bruce maintaining multiple aliases with different types of connections and roles in the underworld would be pretty cool to see, and play very much into his detective and strategic side.

Maybe you could do something like this:

Matches Malone - The connected fixture of organized crime in the middle of the food chain.

Lefty Knox - the down-on-his luck drunkard who does odd jobs for the desperate or newly inaugurated villains at the bottom of the food chain.

“Baron” Wacklaw Josek (from BTAS: The Cape and Cowl Conspiracy) - Rich patron of certain criminal endeavors nearer to the top of the food chain.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

At the start of Batman Begins Bruce is undercover in a few seconds. That could have been a whole movie for me

From Matches' first appearance in Batman #242 (June 1972):

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post

Bruce went undercover as "Match" in "The Cowardly Lot", which I loved. It was very brief, though.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Bruce went undercover as "Match" in "The Cowardly Lot", which I loved. It was very brief, though.
    And quickly seen through .