Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And quickly seen through .
    Well, Miracle Molly is very intuitive and insightful!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Well, Miracle Molly is very intuitive and insightful!
    I blame the body modification...

i'd upgrade him to Lighters Malone
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I blame the body modification...
    Blame? It's great!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    But it's harder to chew on a lighter than a single match . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But it's harder to chew on a lighter than a single match . . .
    Sacrifices must be made
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.

Retired

There seem to be a few topics on here calling for old supporting characters to be reimagined as something else. I don't see the point. There was nothing wrong with the characters as they were. Some like Matches Malone came along in the early 1970s, when the trend was to give the Batman grounded stories, where he's solving regular detective cases involving realistic crooks. Batman wasn't battling super-powered and bizarre villains every week and his supporting cast consisted mostly of regular folks rather than capes.

Maybe this explains why that type of character has been retired, because now everyone has to have a fancy costume or a super-power. Even someone like Renee Montoya had to get the super-hero treatment.

I don't see anything wrong with Matches Malone that he needs to be reimagined. It makes sense for Bruce to disguise himself as a shady character so he can infiltrate the underworld. Matches was an actual felon, but when he died Bruce assumed his identity. Reviving that idea would be a nice change from the over the top characters in modern comics.

I can appreciate there might be a good reason for more diverse supporting characters--reflecting the broader spectrum of society. But were Matches from a different ethnic group, it could come off as cultural appropriation if Bruce was assuming his identity--especially if Matches were a person of colour. And Bruce isn't the Martian Manhunter or Ethan Hunt--it doesn't make sense if he is disguised as someone much taller or shorter. Matches Matches has to be relatively similar in stature to Bruce Wayne for Batman to pull off the impersonation.

I always liked the idea of Bruce maintaining a few different identities in different levels of society, to allow him to gather information and interact with people, without them knowing it's Batman or Bruce.

I don't see why he needs to be repackaged. Just have Bruce disguise himself and do some undercover ****.

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Or Vape Malone.

Just be careful how you say his first name.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I don't see why he needs to be repackaged. Just have Bruce disguise himself and do some undercover ****.

Or Vape Malone.

Just be careful how you say his first name.
    Yes, it's hard to do undercover stuff when every story is next villain up taking over Gotham event.
    Last edited by SixSpeedSamurai; 02-04-2022 at 06:54 AM.

I don't know - does having him not dress like it's still the 70's count as a "repackage"?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I don't know - does having him not dress like it's still the 70's count as a "repackage"?
    It's not like he was wearing a John Travolta disco outfit or anything . . .

I was thinking of just making it somebody else entirely. Maybe somebody figures out it was Bruce and impersonates him or maybe The Boss or somebody brings in new muscle going by the name Matches.