View Poll Results: So, white gloves?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Sport those fancy white gloves!

43 81.13%
  • No - How the heck does a green light constructing ring make white gloves?

10 18.87%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Yes he should, when Hal dons the angelic white gloves, his likeness becomes that of a god

I’m not crazy about comic accurate costumes. How about no gloves? Why does he need gloves?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ellingham View Post
    Yeah:

Attachment 97178

But to me the larger question is the mask - it's strikes me as hard to make that mask look good in live-action, just like Robin's.
    That was one of the things I thought that they got right about Simon Baz. If you're hiding an identity, hide it behind something that maybe has a chance of hiding it. Otherwise, go with the Timm-verse Stewart solution: drop the mask and irradiate the eyeballs.

I hadn’t noticed the difference in gloves in the Reynolds GL movie until this poll. I think that take on the Hal suit is fine for live action (fix the mask PLEASE).
    I’d keep the white gloves for print and animation. White gloves DO give the air of prestige or purity.

white gloves and white boots?

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    NWB.jpg
    .... what she said.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    NWB.jpg
    .... what she said.
    If the man wants to wear 60's go-go boots, who are you to judge!
    \
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-01-2020 at 06:57 AM.

Retired

Don't most heroes in space--in fiction and in reality--wear white in space? I think it helps for them to show up against a dark background. If anything, maybe they should consider less black on the costume if they're going to have Hal in a lot of space scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Don't most heroes in space--in fiction and in reality--wear white in space? I think it helps for them to show up against a dark background. If anything, maybe they should consider less black on the costume if they're going to have Hal in a lot of space scenes.
    Green Lanterns do tend to glow green though, especially when they're in the vacuum of space.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post

The white gloves and boots seem to look fine.

and then there's this

Last edited by liwanag; 06-02-2020 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    They should have ditched them ages ago, across all media.
    Rebirth would have been the perfect opportunity to permanently wipe them away. That spaceship has flown.

Although I'd prefer them, to the creepy skinless exposed muscle tissue energy suit they used for the movie.
    That was horrendous.
    Yah but the issue with the suit was that it was shitty cgi... the whole movie suffered from poor cgi...

Honestly over use of CGI in superhero movies, dc or marvel makes them, for me at least, nearly unwatchable

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    Although I'd prefer them, to the creepy skinless exposed muscle tissue energy suit they used for the movie.
    That was horrendous.
    Yah but the issue with the suit was that it was shitty cgi... the whole movie suffered from poor cgi...

Honestly over use of CGI in superhero movies, dc or marvel makes them, for me at least, nearly unwatchable
    What do you mean "but"?
    It was horrendous in both design and execution.

I get what they were going for- that the ring would naturaly generate and project an organic extension of the bearers anatomy.
    Actually not a bad idea.
    It worked ok on the aliens, who were more fantastic top to bottom to begin with.
    Yet Reynolds big human noggin attached to the creepy glowing muscle tissue design, not only looked off, it looked nauseating.

I would have (and for any future live action) preferred it projected an actual "uniform".
    And once visually generated "constructed" by the ring, the actor wear an actual uniform, with just a few glowing cg elements to enhance it, and they saved the full cg projection, for the rest of the constructs.

As to the gloves (and boots), yeah the white needs to go.
    Especially cause of sentiments like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    Yes he should, when Hal dons the angelic white gloves, his likeness becomes that of a god
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    White gloves DO give the air of prestige or purity.
    Jordan's character (at least to my understanding) is the opposite of trying to convey anything pure, godlike, prestigious or angelic (that seems more the purview of Kyle Rayner). The thought some fans see or project that on to Jordan, would likely make the character roll his eyes back. LOL!
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-02-2020 at 07:11 AM.

What do you mean "but"?
    It was horrendous in both design and execution.

I get what they were going for- that the ring would naturaly generate and project an organic extension of the bearers anatomy.
    Actually not a bad idea.
    It worked ok on the aliens, who were more fantastic top to bottom to begin with.
    Yet Reynolds big human noggin attached to the creepy glowing muscle tissue design, not only looked off, it looked nauseating.

I would have (and for any future live action) preferred it projected an actual "uniform".
    And once visually generated "constructed" by the ring, the actor wear an actual uniform, with just a few glowing cg elements to enhance it, and they saved the full cg projection, for the rest of the constructs.

As to the gloves (and boots), yeah the white needs to go.
    Especially cause of sentiments like this.

Jordan's character (at least to my understanding) is the opposite of trying to convey anything pure, godlike, prestigious or angelic (that seems more the purview of Kyle Rayner). The thought some fans see or project that on to Jordan, would likely make the character roll his eyes back. LOL!
    "But"

Sure well in addition too. How is that?

Retired

I think the main issue with the computer graphics on the Ryan Reynolds costume comes from it being early days in the use of that technology for costumes on real live human beings in movies. It's done all the time now in super-hero movies and it's often invisible to the audience. There are a lot of computer graphics that we don't notice--it's only when they are obviously computer generated that we notice them and they become a matter of discussion.

The funny thing is Reynolds was one of those actors known for having a ripped body. I could see using graphics or padded armour on actors who weren't ripped. With Reynolds, they should have used body paint and had him do his scenes practically naked. I'd say the same for Henry Cavill. What's the point of hiring actors that look like Greek gods if you're going to cover all that up with plastics and special effects?