Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Action Comics Issue #1022 preview

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Conner has amnesia I see. He forgot Cadmus.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Conner has amnesia I see. He forgot Cadmus.
    I wanted jon to meet conner,that's my disappointment too. This feels like a reboot with many talking heads. None of whom seem to have a continuity. What a mess.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-29-2020 at 11:21 AM.

I kind of love it.

Really like that we're getting Jon in there as fast as possible in the first issue of this arc. Love that Clark is being so warm and accommodating because he gets that, before anything else, this kid in front of him is going through some stuff and needs help. I really dig how Conner is totally befuddled with the meeting, but Jon-- without even an second of hesitation-- introduces himself and goes in for a handshake.

All that is just nice to see. Like, you'd assume they'd drag the meeting out more, Clark would be all Young Justice style put off by the idea of this clone (as opposed to being, well, *Superman* who deals with sh!t like this all the time), and Jon and Conner would find some half baked reason to fight. But no. It's chill. The real story is what it should be, and that's "how do they all function past this initial point."

________

And when Jon and Brainy show up that's totally a homage to Bill and Ted, right? It's even got one being dark haired and the other blond, and they're both obviously time traveling like Bill and Ted.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 05-29-2020 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I wanted jon to meet conner,that's my disappointment too. This feels like a reboot with many talking heads. None of whom seem to have a continuity. What a mess.
    Exactly, I thought Conner was explicitly from pre-Flashpoint. That means he should remember Cadmus, Guardian, Dubbilex, all of it. Instead it's like the Hawaii era has been completely retconned out despite the fact he's now wearing a similar costume to that era's.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I think the problem with Conner is that this comes out before Benids’ big reveal in issue 15, the whole why no one remembers Conner, Bart, and Young Justice, which I think is out June 16th so I think he’s being intentionally vague so not to spoil his own story.

I like Jon and Brainy just having a laugh, something just genuinely nice about it.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I think the problem with Conner is that this comes out before Benids’ big reveal in issue 15, the whole why no one remembers Conner, Bart, and Young Justice, which I think is out June 16th so I think he’s being intentionally vague so not to spoil his own story.

I like Jon and Brainy just having a laugh, something just genuinely nice about it.
    Then this should have been put of. Jon should meet the actual conner who knows clark, has relationships and history. It's no fun if the character is a blank slate.

But this Conner does know Clark and the Kents (Ma and Pa) that's why in Young Justice issue 3 he works as a farmer on Gemworld and says that farming is in half of him because he's a Kent. He also knows Tim, Bart, and Cassie from his days with Young Justice in the past. And there's images of Superboy Prime from infinite crisis in the upcoming issues of Young Justice.

I genuinely don't know why he doesn't know who created though. Might just be an added winkle for a new plot point later.

But Jon's still meeting a Conner Kent that knows Superman, Ma and Pa, and Young Justice and so on. Calling him a "blank slate" is a pretty big exaggeration.

At this point the only thing that keeps me sane in regards to this ridiculous continuity is the hope that what little Conner remembers is the actual reality. This is all weird to him because this is the messed up reality. WAT A TWIST!
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-29-2020 at 11:54 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    But this Conner does know Clark and the Kents (Ma and Pa) that's why in Young Justice issue 3 he works as a farmer on Gemworld and says that farming is in half of him because he's a Kent. He also knows Tim, Bart, and Cassie from his days with Young Justice in the past. And there's images of Superboy Prime from infinite crisis in the upcoming issues of Young Justice.

I genuinely don't know why he doesn't know who created though. Might just be an added winkle for a new plot point later.

But Jon's still meeting a Conner Kent that knows Superman, Ma and Pa, and Young Justice and so on. Calling him a "blank slate" is a pretty big exaggeration.
    I just wanted a more barry meets wally vibe, you know. Not two strangers being awkward. Afterwards, i wanted superman to introduce conner to jon and viceverse. A grand family reunion. This feels very underwhelming.

Yeah, sure, I understand that. I just personally felt like it would've been a derivative a solution.

I really like these moments where some strange sh!t just lands in Clark's lap and he remains the good man that he is and helps.

I also think Conner being a boy-out-of-time actually reinstates his status as the odd-man-out of the family, but the family accepting him anyway. That was kind of going away and not really being replaced with anything of note, so it's nice to see remixed version of it that.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Yeah, sure, I understand that. I just personally felt like it would've been a derivative a solution.

I really like these moments where some strange sh!t just lands in Clark's lap and he remains the good man that he is and helps.

I also think Conner being a boy-out-of-time actually reinstates his status as the odd-man-out of the family, but the family accepting him anyway. That was kind of going away and not really being replaced with anything of note, so it's nice to see remixed version of it that.
    But, that's where i differ. i felt this should have been conner's moments. Like, it was for wally's. Him being out of place doesn't need the mumbo jumbo. He is wierd dude who walks around in a leather jacket and sunglasses with larger than life personality. I would say dude would be pretty out of place. Especially, with kents being normal. It's not like clark has a personality(atleast not this iteration, in my mind.) . Lois is kickass, but she isn't that different from everyone else. Ma and pa are plain as heck. Jon's personality is a mess. He acts like clark. So he is as boring as him. They all are very boring. That 90's guy ain't.So something that puts conner as center stage would have been cool.Instead i get this guy who is shy and awkward around clark. Even more so their history and relationship feels like history.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-29-2020 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    that's where i differ.
    I gathered as much, and that's fine.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Exactly, I thought Conner was explicitly from pre-Flashpoint. That means he should remember Cadmus, Guardian, Dubbilex, all of it. Instead it's like the Hawaii era has been completely retconned out despite the fact he's now wearing a similar costume to that era's.
    This weird rebirth/post reborn cotninuity never makes sense because writers keep choosing to use their own rules in reagrds to it. And with how flash forward ended, they can just chalk it up to saying the multiverse is broken as a reason for any continuity errors.