Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Finished reading it. spoilers:
    Conner Kent fans who really like the Geoff Johns’ version will enjoy this book. I think most Conner fans will but it’s been a while
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

This was a really good issue, it was nice seeing all the smart DCU heroes show up to help out Conner's mystery. I wished we got a better explination of what happened with Conner, but I'm doubtfull Bendis will elaborate any further so he doesn't make a mess of things.

Seeing Conner reunite with the kents was a heartwarming moment. Can't help but feel dissappointed at how the kents have these memories of Jon that we, the audience, haven't seen. The moemnt where they huggest didn't feel geuine and I wish they played it better than acting like they've been there Jon's whole life. I feel like there is more story potential if this was Jon's first meeting with them, just makes Tomasi and Jurgens runs with Jon growing up without them feel a bit redundant and already retconned.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I didn't like that line about bat themed lunatic. The only thing good was ma and pa starting to remember things.Otherwise,i am still disappointed.Jon saying "fabulous" is still wierd and didn't sound at all like him. Enough with stupid toilet snd poop jokes. As said, so many unfamiliar characters including jon.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-02-2020 at 08:28 AM.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

Really liked it. Action seems to fall into place again, moved on from event tie ins.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    This was a really good issue, it was nice seeing all the smart DCU heroes show up to help out Conner's mystery. I wished we got a better explination of what happened with Conner, but I'm doubtfull Bendis will elaborate any further so he doesn't make a mess of things.

Seeing Conner reunite with the kents was a heartwarming moment. Can't help but feel dissappointed at how the kents have these memories of Jon that we, the audience, haven't seen. The moemnt where they huggest didn't feel geuine and I wish they played it better than acting like they've been there Jon's whole life. I feel like there is more story potential if this was Jon's first meeting with them, just makes Tomasi and Jurgens runs with Jon growing up without them feel a bit redundant and already retconned.
    Funny thing is Jon is so entangled in bad continuity senanigans he can never completely distance himself from them. He has been concived in Convergence, had his first outing in New 52 as a part of Lois and Clark, continued as a seperate reality doppleganger in rebirth, had his past changed in Reborn and now post doomsday clock his past is changed again. Its hilarious and sad, because he will forever be tangled in that web of ambiguity.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_of_Tomorrow View Post
    Really liked it. Action seems to fall into place again, moved on from event tie ins.

Funny thing is Jon is so entangled in bad continuity senanigans he can never completely distance himself from them. He has been concived in Convergence, had his first outing in New 52 as a part of Lois and Clark, continued as a seperate reality doppleganger in rebirth, had his past changed in Reborn and now post doomsday clock his past is changed again. Its hilarious and sad, because he will forever be tangled in that web of ambiguity.
    Lmao he inherited his dad’s continuity cluster****

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Really solid read. The brisk but measured pace, and the characters were fun. Really glad Bendis is back to the Leone plot line, and I'm also really happy with Daily Planet stuff and the acknowledgement of the aftermath of the Doom fight. Each shift in scene read like a nice little vignette with it's own clear point. The internal continuity of this book is starting to really hum along again, and takes me back to Ultimate Spider-Man because of it.

* so...Leone is totally from another Earth.

* Loved that Lois having a new lawyer is a carry over from both Leviathan and Superman 21

* Depending on how the the Jimmy Olsen comic ends, Jimmy might end up buying the Daily Planet with his money in the trust.

* Brainy being a Superman geek is actually set up in issue 1 of Legion, and so is him and Jon becoming fast friends.

* Reboots being historical fact is also something explicitly set up in issue 2 of Millennium and issue 1 of Legion.

* it's cute that "great Scott" runs in the family even with Pa.

* The toilet comment is actually a follow up to Jon wondering if the 31st century had bathrooms in issue 1 of Legion.

* Kind of hilarious how modern Kryptonianian tech-- usually the most advanced the DCU has to offer-- is "ancient" and "adorable" to a 31st century inhabitant.

* Pretty great how Jon just casually asks if Conner is him from another, and he seemed to be totally ready to roll with it because his life is strange and he knows it.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 06-02-2020 at 09:28 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrusade25 View Post
    Finished reading it. spoilers:
    Conner Kent fans who really like the Geoff Johns’ version will enjoy this book. I think most Conner fans will but it’s been a while
    end of spoilers
    That is...a very tempting endorsement. I'm one of those rare souls who actually loves the Geoff Johns version of the YJ cast...but I don't know...Everything about Bendis' Superman and Young Jusitce still makes me really sad...but Conner....but sad.......but Conner

Astonishing Member

I liked it, thank heavens we're over that horror tie-in plot and I didn't even hate the art this time round. I loved the reveal that Leone IS from another earth, explains the AC#1 car without really explaining it and I liked her choosing this Earth and look forward to seeing more of the IM. I suspected the Kents would remember Conner as I was reading, hopefully it lends some meat to the whole reboot investigation. I actually want them to try and explain the whole mess and see what sticks. Everything about Jon still leans more on the superficial and that bugs but that first interaction with Conner was fine.

Edit: He should have said fantastic as opposed to fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I actually want them to try and explain the whole mess and see what sticks.
    My best guess is that this is Bendis acknowledging the upcoming unification of the timeline (the anti reboot). This was something that was always gonna happen back when Generations was gonna kick it off, but it still applies because Death Metal is now what leads to the new unified timeline without reboots.

And in the timeline we did get a peek at, we saw that Conner lived with Ma and Pa Kent on the farm (and that Wonder Woman was the first hero during WWII) So, some version of that timeline chart seems to be still coming into focus based on what we've seen and heard so far.

Edit: He should have said fantastic as opposed to fabulous.
    No disrespect to you, but I'm genuinely stumped by this being something of note to some people. Conner's whole look is *extremely* flamboyant (like, stop for one second and look at him), and the jacket (and haircut) being over the top (and even mocked by people in the comics) has been a running gag since it went out of style and he lost it. Jon calling it fabulous reads like an acknowledgment of that over the top and obviously flamboyant nature that's been associated with the jacket. It's also a counter point to Bart (in issue 2 of YJ) saying that Conner is no longer pulling it off, and maybe never was.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

That was a good read. Very much seemed to get back on track after the misfire of the last arc. I think all the interactions were very well done. Jon coming back was great and handled well. The way the reboots are being acknowledged are interesting and it'll be even more interesting to see how it's all handled going forward. I think we're going to see some kind of general acknowledgement of the timelines, but not an outright reboot or expansion like was originally suspected. The Lois & Jimmy scenes were solid and the "Take your lawyer to work day" bit was pretty funny.

I also read the "fabulous" line as tongue in cheek from Jon. They've lampshaded Conner's try hard aesthetic pretty solidly since his return and this just seems like more of that.

Spectacular Member

A good read, not happy about the fact that they have Connor not remember where he is from. Would be nice if there is some good explanation for this and we find out sooner or later. Because if he is supposed to be pre-flashpoint then he should remember, doesnt make sense

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I also read the "fabulous" line as tongue in cheek from Jon. They've lampshaded Conner's try hard aesthetic pretty solidly since his return and this just seems like more of that.
    I could see the tongue in cheek aspect of it, and it's not uncommon for Jon under Bendis' pen to kid like that. I'm reminded of his meeting with Green Lantern Arisia of sector 2815. Jon asks "are we in sector 34234-345?" And Arisia, noticing the smart ass nature of the exaggerated number, simply asks Kilowog if they are in fact in sector 2815.

Edit: Even though the whole reaction Jon has to Conner being their is intend to be a tongue in cheek exaggeration (he obviously doesn't think his parents replaced him) and that likely extends to the use of fabulous too, part of me still wants to believe that even though most other people think Conner looks way too extra Jon's such a little dork that he thinks Conner looks cool lol.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 06-02-2020 at 10:45 AM.

Everyone keeps saying that Conner was smaller. Is that a hint towards a revised history where Conner was cloned in a manner closer to Bentley (a clone of The Wizard) from Hickman's Fantastic Four run where the clone starts out as a child? Or are they just implying that Conner filled out compared to what they remember.

If it had just been Ma and Pa saying that he used to be smaller, I'd assume they mean he just filled out, but due to the fact that Conner describes himself as being "little" during at some point, I'm incline to think that he and they meant that he was a child at some point.

Fascinating. Conner's history is slowly becoming more of a mystery than any of us anticipated.

Anyone else find it odd that Magnus looked like Peter Parker...I’m not kidding, there is a panel that definitely reminded me of Romita Jr.’s Peter Parker.

But on a more serious note as someone who’s a fan of Conner and Jon this was a nice issue. Conner gets brought back into Clark’s life and gets reacquainted with Ma and Pa Kent, which I am a fan of Geoff John’s Superboy so I’m good with this. I also like seeing Jon just accepting Conner, I’m glad there was no issue. Also I’m happy to see that he appears to be having fun as Superboy, as a friend to Brainiac 5, and a good grandson(whatever their history may be now, as the Kent curse is of existing continuity). I’ll admit he’s a bit tall but you know what, it feels like Superman’s son would stand a bit tall so I’m fine with it.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Everyone keeps saying that Conner was smaller. Is that a hint towards a revised history where Conner was cloned in a manner closer to Bentley (a clone of The Wizard) from Hickman's Fantastic Four run where the clone starts out as a child? Or are they just implying that Conner filled out compared to what they remember.

If it had just been Ma and Pa saying that he used to be smaller, I'd assume they mean he just filled out, but due to the fact that Conner describes himself as being "little" during at some point, I'm incline to think that he and they meant that he was a child at some point.

Fascinating. Conner's history is slowly becoming more of a mystery than any of us anticipated.
    i mean he was little, he was born in a tube he doesn't remember, he saw everything around him swirling.

why is batman their not telling Clark what he know about connor. Bendis made a point of saying zatanna told Bruce what Tim saw in his mind.