Is anyone else a bit let down by the depiction of the New Gods in shows & films? Specifically Darkseid in animated shows/films. I feel like he and his followers are routinely depicted as big strong bads who punch hard without much mystique to them. Not that there's anything wrong with some hand-to-hand combat, and I recognize it isn't always easy to animate complicated fight scenes, but I feel like we're missing out on seeing the truly engaging mix of sci-fi and mysticism that Kirby originally intended.

Steppenwolf's depiction in Justice League was slightly better in the sense that he was noticeably large, could radiate energy blasts, and used the motherbox. But I can't say it was anything too creative.

Now I'm not an expert on the New Gods, but I was lucky enough to get my hands on Volume 1 of the origina Omnibus, and have read various stories over the years featuring New Genesis and Apokalips. Even though it's not always that different, I feel it's important to emphasize that they aren't just strangely-dressed flying bricks. They exist on another plane entirely, they only project themselves into a material form we can comprehend. They know and influence the natural universe in a way ordinary flesh-and-blood beings can't, no matter how super or alien.

What are some of the best moments/examples of the New Gods behaving in a distinctly cosmic or divine way, and what do you hope to see from Kirby's creations with respect to their abilities in the New Gods film & other content going forward?