Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Manhunter miniseries & more canceled plus more shifts to digital only

Newsarama and Bleeding Cool are reporting cancellations, including the Manhunter miniseries and some facsimiles and dollar comics. Some giants are going digital only as are the last two issues of House of Whispers. RWBY and gen:Lock last issues will not be getting print versions. Next arc of Lucifer will be an OGN.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-c...ants-reprints/

https://www.newsarama.com/50378-dc-c...-reprints.html

https://www.newsarama.com/50377-five...ital-only.html

https://www.newsarama.com/50372-dc-n...-gen-lock.html

https://www.newsarama.com/50371-dc-s...wo-issues.html

https://www.newsarama.com/50376-dc-c...ore-debut.html

https://www.newsarama.com/50370-dc-s...-canceled.html

Being an old Mark Shaw fan I was kind of looking forward to this.

When MANHUNTERS: SECRETY HISTORY was first solicited, I barely read the description because the Leviathan storyline isn't particularly holding my interest. I didn't plan on picking it up and even re-read Andreyko's MANHUNTER series to see if maybe I'd want to get rid of it on eBay (assuming there'd be more interest in it because of the upcoming series).

I completely forgot how much I enjoyed it the first reading--it's packed with the things I love about comics and an absolute "must keep." When I realized Andreyko was also the SECRET HISTORY writer, I immediately placed it on order. Sad to see it may never see print...

BANNED

Those Wal-Mart giants must not be doing that well for DC to cancel them. That doesn't surprise me because they look immensely crappy.

I just never understood them. It's like, you get a chance to actually get in a store where a lot of people actually go, and then you put utter crap out there. Random shovelware with a few terrible to extremely vanilla original stories. Beyond that, I just don't think people are interested in the product, but what they were putting out there was in no way going to entice them.

If you told me I have a deal to go into Wal-Mart...I'm literally going to put out the best thing I've ever done in my life.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 05-29-2020 at 08:17 PM.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I was looking forward to some Kate action .
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Those Wal-Mart giants must not be doing that well for DC to cancel them. That doesn't surprise me because they look immensely crappy.

I just never understood them. It's like, you get a chance to actually get in a store where a lot of people actually go, and then you put utter crap out there. Random shovelware with a few terrible to extremely vanilla original stories. Beyond that, I just don't think people are interested in the product, but what they were putting out there was in no way going to entice them.

If you told me I have a deal to go into Wal-Mart...I'm literally going to put out the best thing I've ever done in my life.
    They seem to be doing way better in the digital format anyway (based on comixology best selling rankings).

Extraordinary Member

From my understanding at least some of the Giants were already sold at Wal-Mart a few month ago, and they are only cancelling their release in other places (like Comics shops).

And the Giants aren't going digital exclusive. They aren't published digitally in the first place. What's actually happening is that the new stories meant for those Giants will be released, or already have been, in the Digital First line.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Well, that just pisses me off. I was really looking forward to the Manhunter book!
    Marc writing Kate again??? I'm in!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Well, that just pisses me off. I was really looking forward to the Manhunter book!
    I know, right?!

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Me as well. I had always heard good things about that original run, but hadn't read them until I got DCUniverse then binged the whole thing. I was looking forward to this and seeing Kate level up in prominence because of the whole Leviathan thing.

Well, that's disappointing .

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post

Because opinions on what is "good" and what isn't are subjective. They did put what some consider the "best" on these. They had King and Bendis doing original work on them. Yes, opinions on the two are divisive, but they are two of the biggest names in the industry right now. Their reprints were also of things like Hush and Court of the Owls, two very popular stories.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Extraordinary Member

Doesn't bode well for that JSA title I was looking forward to. Though AFAIK, there was none announced anyway...

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

While I can see people not liking this.

I prefer low selling or risky titles going digital only to reduce cost. than cancelled prematurely. It allows DC to diversify their line and good titles to reach their natural conclusion and if digital sales are good or the story picks traction, they can always put a trade out.

Damn that sucks. Was really looking forward to the return of Manhunter. Hopefully it will be re-solicited down the line.