Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    What was wrong with the Destroyer
    once thor got his hammer he defeated him quite easily.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERlips View Post
    How did you learn this? The movie is far from being out. Is it because she hit the gym? Okay, that's fine--but I'd be much more concerned about her acting ability anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    We haven't seen Gal as WW yet, so why are we using her as proof that skinny actors can work in these type of roles?

And it's much harder to find good actresses that are bulked up than it is to find good actors that are at that level.
    see what i mean, all i said was she's awful skinny to play wonder woman and look at the responses.

she's skinny to play wonder woman just like hiddleston is skinny to play thor. it seems weird to me it's no big to say a man is too skinny to play thor but not to say a woman is too skinny to play wonder woman. and gadot is much skinnier than the average woman than hiddleston is the average man.

Quote Originally Posted by King of Asgard View Post
    ...Tom Hiddelston had been given the role of Thor? Since it is almost universally recognised that Chris Hemsworth is a terrible Thor, I was wondering if, in an alternate universe, Hiddelston had been given the role of Thor instead of Loki, would the Thor movies be less dreadful? The fact that Hiddelston is a far better actor than Hemsworth would make me think that they would be. Surely he couldn't do any worse than the jack-booted Australian. Would Hiddelston be more charismatic? Would he have at least some chemistry with Portman? Who do you think would get the role of Loki in this universe?
    In addition to most of the other commenters on this thread, I think Hemsworth did a very fine job as Thor. He managed to hit every weird tonal note the script gave him. And while I agree that he and Portman lacked chemistry, I think this is more because she was awkwardly cast in a role that didn't really allow her to flex her dramatic muscles. Anyway, Loki was always the most important character in Thor and his casting was consequently more important. In fact, most superhero movies—and many superhero comics for that matter—sink or swim because of the villains. The heroes need to be solid, but they're rarely interesting enough to really pull the weight in their movies.

BANNED

Chris Hemsworth as Thor is great in The Dark World. I didn't love him in other movies, but neither did I love any other actor that was not Robert Downey Jr. If I have learned anything by now it's that neither Hemsworth or Evans are to blame for their character's struggles; they simply haven't been utilized correctly. Robert Downey Jr and Tom Hiddleston just happen to not only be the right fits for their roles but they are very well written for.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    Not even read the post, was just way too surprised you weren't Mr. Holmes.
    Glad I didn't put money on it.
    I still have no idea why people thought we were the same person.

Mighty Member

...Tom Hiddelston had been given the role of Thor? Since it is almost universally recognised that Chris Hemsworth is a terrible Thor, I was wondering if, in an alternate universe, Hiddelston had been given the role of Thor instead of Loki, would the Thor movies be less dreadful? The fact that Hiddelston is a far better actor than Hemsworth would make me think that they would be. Surely he couldn't do any worse than the jack-booted Australian. Would Hiddelston be more charismatic? Would he have at least some chemistry with Portman? Who do you think would get the role of Loki in this universe?
    Between this and the worst MCU films poll it is clear you seem to assume your opinions are fact. Not only is that not true but your opinions are way out on a limb.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    I still have no idea why people thought we were the same person.
    You sounded kinda the same and agreed with me a lot.

Astonishing Member

You sort of lose something when you open a question with something that isn't true.

Once again Evans, while not my first choice for Captain America, is great in the role. Are there others who could have pulled it off? Sure but Evans does a good job and Captain America the Winter Soldier is probably the second best Marvel Movie.

Member in Disguise

When you say "almost universally recognized", do you really mean "my opinion"? I'm not a huge Thor fan by any stretch and I think he did OK, and most of the non-positive reviews I've read about both films seem to focus on the script, not the casting.
    ...Expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

What? Chris Hemsworth is THOR walked off the page. The only thing keeping those films down is the shitty writing. The first one was fun, but the second was really bad.

Hiddleston would've made a horrible THOR!

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    What universe is this where Hemsworth is a terrible Thor? Most of the complaints about the films I've heard about focus on the script, the humour, and Natalie Portman. I've never before read complaints about Hemsworth himself.
    Agreed. Hemsworth has not had a chance to really be Thor thanks to the above points. I do not think he's terrible, he's playing second and third fiddle to Loki and the Earthbound business.

They were smart in casting Chris as Thor sadly he has not had the chance to really prove this because of writing, directing and the zilch chemistry with the love interest.
    Last edited by Lady Warp Spasm; 05-04-2014 at 11:17 AM.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Boisterously Confused

Others have already ably debunked the "universally recognized" contention of the OP, and the idea that any quality issues with the Thor franchise is matter of actors rather than scripts, so I won't bother with that. The question then is, "would the Thor franchise have improved by casting Hiddleston in the lead"?

Hiddelston is an outstanding and charismatic actor. I'm sure that he could have undergone a physical training regimen that would have made him look the part (as Gerald Butler did for 300), and I'm sure that he's enough of a performer to have given an engaging portrayal of the Thunder God (although I'm not sure if his voice is deep enough to really sell it). However, I have a hard time imagining anyone selling the complicated character of Loki the way that Hiddelston has.

IMO, Hiddelston threaded a very tricky needle with Loki. I can simultaneously be repulsed by the deeds that his disdain for others permits him to commit, charmed by his oh-you-mischevious-scamp nature, and saddened by the gulf between what Loki would like to be and what his unbridled pursuit of his ambitions have made of him. He's a villain you can feel has to be stopped, without disliking. Hence, you can buy the idea that Odin didn't simply execute him at the beginning of Thor: The Dark World, or that Thor will continually take stupid risks with him, in hopes of talking him out of his goals. I think Hiddleston is the one actor in the MCU cast that has really improved over his comics character (who has so often come across as rather a cowardly and oily figure). I could never figure out how anybody with a grain of intelligence could get tricked by such an obvious lizard as Kirby's Loki; I can totally see how Hiddleston's Loki could sucker even the most wary hero into one of his schemes.

The hero of a saga is only as good as his villain. So, Hiddelston might have made a good Thor, but the Thor series would have lost more than it gained by giving up the best possible Loki.

Since it is almost universally recognised that Chris Hemsworth is a terrible Thor
    Ugh, seriously?

Stop trolling.

Wait...what? Chris Hemsworth is considered a terrible Thor? He's probably the best Thor can hope for. I can't imagine there being a better actor to play Thor. Maybe if he had better material to work with in the second movie, he'd be one of the best superhero actors.