Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    I don't think that's the same thing. Marvel desperately needs to do something big, something that reshapes how they do things, because the eight years leading up to 2020 drove people away from comics. Then they capped off the mountain of turd they built with New New Warriors starring Safespace and Snowflake. That's something that absolutely needs to be fixed.
    Coronavirus might have done that job for them. Look how many Marvel books have gone digital exclusive - 12 so far - or have not been resolicited - which is well over 100 individual issues.

It's possible that New Warriors will no longer be published, which would mean that Safespace and Snowflake don't exist.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Coronavirus might have done that job for them. Look how many Marvel books have gone digital exclusive - 12 so far - or have not been resolicited - which is well over 100 individual issues.

It's possible that New Warriors will no longer be published, which would mean that Safespace and Snowflake don't exist.
    Fine by me. In fact, I applaud any victory for common sense. I think they should announce that saying something like "You spoke, we listened" and details they're not longer going through with New Warriors and other crap. But I'm not holding my breath because that would take humility to do.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I don’t actually too much about the frequency of events so long as they are deserved.
    War of the realms and Absolute Carnage last year could have EASILY been told in the pages of their own respective comics. Not everything needs to be an event. Let big stories occur in the run of a comic.

Same applies to Infinity, Siege, Age of Ultron, Axis and more.

Secret Wars by Hickman was a deserved event with brilliant build up that actually got me (as a reader) excited for it.

I think the 12 issue format wouldn’t work these days. A year is a big commitment for some people.

Events stop the story to a halt and make trades a mess. Used to love events when they were so few but now i just can't wait for them to be over. Events should be like the late 80s. Shoved into the annuals or limited series and can be ignored by the others books. On the other hand we had that strange 80s fantastic four annual that was both part of the evolutionary war AND secret wars 3! Yes two events in the same book! That's got to be a record! A warlock mini in the 90s would also be part of two events as well!

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I didn't read the main Secret Wars series because I don't really care about the Avengers or Fantastic Four. But the event derailed the books I was reading for six months and replaced them with alternate reality series that I was not at all interested in reading. It was one of the most obtrusive events in recent memory, and that absolutely should not be duplicated. To me events are best executed when they don't punish the people who aren't interested in reading them. There is no reason a title that is off doing it's own thing should have to be relaunched or rebooted because completely unrelated characters want to have a big, stupid fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Events stop the story to a halt and make trades a mess. Used to love events when they were so few but now i just can't wait for them to be over. Events should be like the late 80s. Shoved into the annuals or limited series and can be ignored by the others books. On the other hand we had that strange 80s fantastic four annual that was both part of the evolutionary war AND secret wars 3! Yes two events in the same book! That's got to be a record! A warlock mini in the 90s would also be part of two events as well!
    The current 2020 Ironheart two-issue mini is also a double tie-in, to Iron Man 2020 and Outlawed.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I know that in Superior Spiderman vol 2 a book I was looking forward to reading they did a couple tie ins with War of The Realms. An event I wasnt reading or had no backround knowledge of. They teamed Spiderman with other heroes one of which was some female Deadpool clone that really ruined the story for me.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I'm gonna post my proposed Marvel Returns relaunch as a topic little later. Is this something you'd be interested in reading? If so, what would you suggest in a relaunch?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The longer the event the worse it usually is. Events should be short and big and not long and drawn out. I think 6 issues the right length for a big event. Anything longer and you usually end up with alot of padding. I think company wide events should be at least 3 years apart. If they want crossovers between do the smaller ones like the used to where they would crossover the X-Books, or the Avengers books, or the street level books. Short little crossover that involved 3 or 4 books and only lasted 2 or 3 months.

I'm gonna post my proposed Marvel Returns relaunch as a topic little later. Is this something you'd be interested in reading? If so, what would you suggest in a relaunch?
    I would love this topic. I will have to think of how I would want a relaunch to go.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

I personally never saw the appeal of a Rebirth style relaunch for Marvel. The current policy of just letting bad stories be forgotten or straight up retconned always seemed much better than rebooting the entire multiverse every few years like DC. I hate a lot of what Coates has done with Black Panther but I don’t need a huge reboot when a new writer can just come in and overwrite what came before.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I personally never saw the appeal of a Rebirth style relaunch for Marvel. The current policy of just letting bad stories be forgotten or straight up retconned always seemed much better than rebooting the entire multiverse every few years like DC. I hate a lot of what Coates has done with Black Panther but I don’t need a huge reboot when a new writer can just come in and overwrite what came before.
    Same. The thing I like about Marvel over DC is that Marvel has maintained a more consistent overall timeline compared to DC, barring what happened with Spider-Man after One More Day. That said, relaunching and refocusing works a lot better than trying to wipe everything that came before out of continuity, because let's be real for a moment --- fans and readers have much longer memories than the Big Two credit them for having.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I dont mind a relaunch. But it should be carefully thought out and done right. The problem I have with DC is they seem to have one every few years.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I dont mind a relaunch. But it should be carefully thought out and done right. The problem I have with DC is they seem to have one every few years.
    Agreed. I would add, though, that treating everything post-AvX as a worthless "New Dark Age of Comics" rivaling or surpassing the 90s Dark Age would be making the same mistake as the people who used to look down on the aforementioned 90s. According to a thing called Sturgeon's Law, 90% of everything, including the stuff you or I or anyone else likes, is crap, with only 10% of it being actually good. That applies as much to what came before as what's out now; it's just that nostalgia for the past makes us ignore, forget, or overlook the stuff that wasn't so good back then while hyper-focusing on everything we don't like about today's output. Given how some people eventually came to a better understanding and appreciation of some of the 90s output after it had been almost uniformly dismissed as crap, I wouldn't necessarily doubt people finding the same understanding and appreciation for at least some of the current output, after a decade or two for passions to cool.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Your loss. But really, what's wrong with a big hyped relaunch after a bad event to gain interest?
    I believe that reboots do more harm than good.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver