Default How To Portray the New Gods in the DCU

What’s your favorite portrayal of the New Gods within the DCU? Why do you like them portrayed that way?

Should they all be super strong and powerful or should only Darkseid, Orion, Kalibak, and Big Barda give Superman and Wonder Woman a run for their money in a throw down?

What level of power and strength and resilience would you put Grail or Mister Miracle or Lashina or Kanto or Granny Goodness or Beautiful Dreamer when compared to Superman and Wonder Woman or Flash or Aquaman and Mera or Batman and Black Canary?

Do they have a range from human to superhuman in their physiology or are they all vastly more powerful than the average human?

What in your estimation should make them gods and what should that mean in the rest of the DCU?

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Weaker New Gods should be on Aqua-man and Wonderwoman’s level strength wise. Characters like Darkseid and High Father should be several levels higher than any of the earth heroes. I don’t see the point of calling them New Gods if they are mid tier power wise. Maybe some of the Forever People could be mid tier, but that’s because they are relatively young, inexperienced New Gods.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    What’s your favorite portrayal of the New Gods within the DCU? Why do you like them portrayed that way?

Should they all be super strong and powerful or should only Darkseid, Orion, Kalibak, and Big Barda give Superman and Wonder Woman a run for their money in a throw down?

What level of power and strength and resilience would you put Grail or Mister Miracle or Lashina or Kanto or Granny Goodness or Beautiful Dreamer when compared to Superman and Wonder Woman or Flash or Aquaman and Mera or Batman and Black Canary?

Do they have a range from human to superhuman in their physiology or are they all vastly more powerful than the average human?

What in your estimation should make them gods and what should that mean in the rest of the DCU?
    Favorites are Mr. Miracle, the original Kirby stuff, Final Crisis. Darkseid War wasn't bad either. The DCU didn't showcase all of their abilities but treated them with seriousness.

They don't all have to be super strong per se, but they all have to have incredible abilities. Desaad, Scott Free, and others sacrifice strength for what we might perceive to be sorcery or magic. All are more powerful than humans. Save maybe Scott Free? It's not clear.

What makes them gods is their eternal status and their access to planes of existence unknown to us. The deaths of their avatars never destroy their essence, they can see and travel through time and space at their convenience, and they should surprise us every once in a while.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I definitely love the Kirby Stuff first, then Morrison's stuff, and then Simonson on Orion. I think they should all be skilled and powerful enough with their area of expertise. Whatever they are the god of, they can do that on a cosmic level. Metron can outwit Kalibak but not our arm wrestle him. Mr. Miracle can somehow make an escape that is as fast as Lightray or the Flash, but of course he doesn't have Super speed. I think I like the idea that they manifest in different ways even whenever they come to Earth. Orion is a huge noble conflicted force Good with Kirby and Simonson, he's more like a beast on Morrison's JLA. When he shows up in Azarello's Wonder Woman, he's a Han Solo rogue heartthrob. I really liked the Female Furies run that just came out, that was a good book.

Astonishing Member

For me to be a worthwhile threat Darkseid should be more powerful than Superman one on one,and would require at least a team of Superman,WW and GL to be brought down or hurt.I'd also make Big Barda equal to Superman in strength.I'd add Grail to be equal strength to at least wonder woman. In my mind I'd make Darkseid's furies to be 4 two male and two female.Almost equal in strength to the league so that without requiring the Crime Syndicate we have powerful adversaries,one of the female furies would have powers like Metamorpho, Speed Queen would be a speedster like a female Flash. One male fury is a powerful telepath/telekinetik perhaps Despero or better yet an earth three Manchester Black and the other a power replicator like Amazo or Parasite.Finally i'd make Desaad a true threat for a potential sequel-instead of Darkseid's lackey,he would be a powerful sorcerer that Darkseid uses when he needs magic manipulation, almost like an adult Klarion depiction who 'serves' Darkseid in name only as his true master is Trigon for whom Desaad will betray Darkseid eventually.
    Last edited by Rev9; 06-01-2020 at 07:46 AM.